Bmi calculators, trust em!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentages are more accurate than BMI calculations, but the BMI does work for the average person and fortunately, the majority of people fit the average.

Unless you're black/Latino. Or Asian. In which case you're probably outside of the 'average' as the BMI chart defines it. I'll just leave these here...

http://caloriecount.about.com/study-shows-black-women-can-healthy-b493869?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_20110331&utm_term=continue1

http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/bmi_asia_strategies.pdf

http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/obesity-bmi.php
  • FussBucket
    FussBucket Posts: 29
    Options
    BMI is just a tool. A scale is just a tool. Use multiple tools to measure your progress every month. I keep a log of my weight weekly. I log BMI, Body fat % and measurements monthly. The important thing, for me, is to see those numbers trending down each month. I don't want to be an Olympic athlete and I like being a little curvy (jelly), but I am not dealing with the health risks of being obese. I watch the trend and I do not use just one tool to measure. I use a couple of tools because if I am gaining muscle my weight will go up, or stay the same, but my BMI, Body Fat % and measurements will go down. If I am am losing fat my weight, BMI, Body Fat %, and measurements will decrease. I have to be careful to keep exercising regularly when I am losing fat and get enough protein so that I can continue to grow muscle. Muscle burns 4 calories per ounce and everything else (fat) only burns 2. We need muscle in order to increase our metabolisms.

Resistance exercise is important for women so that we can increase our metabolism and keep our bones strong; among other benefits. I love this quote: "The only thing thing women can lift that will make us bulky is: our forks."
  • imfullerthanu
    imfullerthanu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't trust them completely. I once got down to the weight I my BMI recommended and I looked freakishly skinny. The bobble-head kind of skinny. This time around, when I actually get to where I want to be I'll still be considered overweight but I really don't care. I just want to look and feel good.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I recently had a health assessment at work. I knew I was going to be considered overweight based on BMI and I was worried. When I went in the nurse calculated my BMI, and I was considered "overweight" on the lower end of the scale. However, she also used a waist measurement chart which put me in the healthy range. When it came down to it, she classified me as healthy, not overweight. I have a coworker who just competed in a bodybuilding competition (in the lower weight class, can't remember the names but he is certainly not huge) and he is considered overweight but he was on the lower end of the healthy scale when she did the waist measurement. The guy has a very low body fat percentage and is no way shape or form overweight.
    I am fairly muscular, not huge by any means but I do tend to be on the higher end of the scale according to my height than others. When others are aiming to be 130, I have abs at 140.
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My BMI is bogus.
    I'm borderline underweight according to BMI.
    But my calipers tell me I'm borderline overweight.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Its a number used by insurance companies and doctors because it an be quantified. The method however is flawed.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said to track body fat as well. I think the two should be used in conjunction together.

It does also depend on how much lean body mass you have how you look at a certain weight.

My mom, for reference, was 5'2" 170 and definitely looked obese. But she didn't have much muscle.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Most definitely not.

It's all about body fat percentage..when I was losing weight with cardio and no weight training, my body fat percentage was 30% although I was in a normal weight range...not great for someone who technically didn't need to lose weight.

Also, the boyfriend's technically obese and has 7-8% body fat.

Now, if someone generally has no muscle and hasn't done any fitness related activities I'd trust the BMI calculations.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't trust BMI calculators. They won't tell you how much fat you carry and that is the dangerous thing, more than just being heavy. I might never ever have a good BMI, I am large boned and carry too much lean weight for now. I will have to lose a considerable amount of lean weight for that to even be a possibility, but I think it can happen if lean weight has a lot of water in it as well as muscle mass.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    BMI is not supposed to be a goal to achieve. It's just one of many indicators of whether or not you are more likely to have certain issues. If your BMI is on the high side, than you should be a little more vigilant about watching your blood pressure, blood sugar levels, etc. When I say more careful, maybe get a full physical every year and check your blood pressure when you go to the drug store. Things pretty much everyone should be doing anyway really!

As a sleep tech, we use BMI as a flag for people who may be at risk for sleep apnea. That doesn't mean someone with a high BMI will have OSA, but they should be checked. If you have a high BMI and no other risk factors you wouldn't qualify for a sleep study.

Now having said that, I think that since BMI by itself is not really an accurate picture of someone's health that some people dismiss it completely. I've seen lots of over weight people with a whole list of issues say that BMI doesn't matter because they are "big boned." It's especially useful for kids because many times parents have a distorted view of their child's weight. I tell people that a higher BMI is not necessarily a reason to panic, but it is a reason to pause and ask more questions.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think BMI is a terrible way to judge how you are doing in your weight loss journey because it just doesn't tell you what is really going on. Body fat percentage is a much better indicator.

I am currently at the highest end of healthy for BMI, but I only have 22% body fat which is in the middle of the ideal range for body fat percentage. The two charts definitely do NOT coincide with each other at all. I mean, according to BMI, I am on the verge of being overweight, but according to body fat, I am actually closer to being lean. What if I lost more body fat yet decided to bulk up with muscle? I'd be lean/athletic according to body fat, yet overweight with BMI. It's just crap.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I think of BMI as similar to a "check engine" light in a car. A too-high or too-low BMI value serves to indicate that you need to check things out and make sure everything is otherwise ok and/or that you need to make some lifestyle changes. If the doctor says everything is OK, then you don't necessarily need to worry about it anymore. If everything is not OK, it can also be a good measure of your progress in getting things balanced again.
  • edmundcarter
    Options
    BS! You mean to tell me someone who is 200 pounds carries the same health risks as someone who is 500??? They are both listed as clinically obese. Seriously? Wake up call, the BMI is WRONG, TAINTED, MISLEADING, etc. etc. Invented by insurance companies for obvious reasons! Pay no attention to that crap!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Agreed.. Use it as a rough guide only. I once knew someone who was not a body builder, though athletic. He played sports once a week and trained for an hour a week on top of going for walks/ light jogs. The BMI said he was overweight because of his muscle mass. So as a rough guide, sure.. But otherwise I would look into other ways to track things.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, I've been harping at myself over my BMI calculator results. It's days I'm obese!!! Really? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm 5'2 and 170 no sorry 169 lbs :) I've got jelly! But obese? Does anyone else pay attention to this? And if so do you trust it as a method if monitoring weight loss success?

Depending on which chart where, the US government version was updated not too long along to lower where obese cuts in, so more are found obese, and problem looks more serious, and more money can be allocated to those programs.

BMI was only intended for population studies, not individuals.

Take it with a big grain of salt. Well, not actually, increased sodium is no good either, huh, big pinch of sand.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    old thread