Crying out for mentors and fellow travelers on the road to a

Options
I NEED accountability in almost every area of life and that’s not a new realization. Since I haven’t found a warm body to take the health journey with me in the 3+ years I’ve lived in this foreign land (just kidding, it’s only a neighboring state but I’m an East Texan at heart so I must jest) … back to my point, I’m venturing into the cyber world in search of like-minded individuals desiring accountability and encouragement. The occasional “put your big girl panties on and deal with it” reminder – delivered with the best of intentions and concern can be helpful for me too. When I’m being stubborn or lazy or in a faux self-preservation mode of denial, I often don’t like to hear a difficult truth. Not at first. I’m also introspective and analytical (albeit highly emotional). As Monk said, it’s a blessing and a curse. LOL! After pondering and sometimes arguing with myself, if what I’m being told is true and applicable, my teachable spirit rises above my doubts and I grow. If I sound like a good fit for you and your goals, please say hello and we can become friends in our mutual pursuit of positive life changes.

Replies

• jackal75
    Options
    Keep posting! We'll whoop ya into shape! LOL

Seriously though, Be 150% honest in your entries here and you will lose the weight. While everyone is different, that only means that you will lose at a different rate than the next person. Remember though, don't be discouraged if it goes slowly because that is weight that will be much easier to keep off.

And why in the world would anyone moved to Oklahoma??!?!?!?! LOL.
  • deloresAcox
    Options
    I am out of my element as well. I am in GA and my home is AR, Good luck to you!! Add me if you want. Maybe we can help each other!!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP -- a really easy tool to use. I joined in September and I understand it's going to be a long process, but I'm in it for the long haul. As someone has already mentioned keep posting on your page so your friends can see it and they will keep you motiviated. MFP automatically sends out notifications when you lose weight, when you have a MFP anniversary date, and when you've finished your diary for the day. If you want, you can request me as a friend. Just click on my user name and request me that way. Sounds like you're really motivated. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
  • BellyLaugh
    BellyLaugh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Jackal 75 - I'm giggling! Don't want to offend any Okies though. My husband's job brought us here in Dec 2006. I miss my friends, family, trees, dogwoods, roses, piney woods, azaleas - home really. Never knew how much Texas pride I had until I moved out of Texas. Thanks for the encouragement. I've completely changed my eating habits over the past 10 days and am not losing. I honestly considered giving up because in the past I lost the most amount of weight in the first week. But, as I've said, my body is in a new season so I will try and work with it!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Jackal 75 - I'm giggling! Don't want to offend any Okies though. My husband's job brought us here in Dec 2006. I miss my friends, family, trees, dogwoods, roses, piney woods, azaleas - home really. Never knew how much Texas pride I had until I moved out of Texas. Thanks for the encouragement. I've completely changed my eating habits over the past 10 days and am not losing. I honestly considered giving up because in the past I lost the most amount of weight in the first week. But, as I've said, my body is in a new season so I will try and work with it!

You are thinking in giving up? What would your Texan's friends think of that? Texans' are not quiters, so stop whining, put your big girls pants, keep on posting, exercise (YES EXERCISE!!!), eat healthy, and get a postivie attitud if you want to get postive results..
    Well, sorry about the posting, but you said that you needed a kick once in awhile, and Saturday is my kicking day. So there you have it!
  • BellyLaugh
    Options
    MyProgress2010 - well said and appreciated! No, I'm not giving up. Haven't been motivated to exercise yet BUT I have gotten out of the house and worked in the yard 2 days this week. Enough that my body ACHES! For me, those 2 days = a lot of physical exertion. I even worked in the misting rain yesterday. I'm psyched; I can't wait to get all the lava rock out of the flower beds so I can mix in the 35 BAGS of compost I bought and dream about what I'm going to plant.
  • Caribbean_Soul
    Caribbean_Soul Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You can add me and I'll offer whatever support I can. I agree with the above... be honest in your food diary and exercise. This tool has been the only food diary I've ever been able to keep up with. I love that it's on my phone so I can check the calories before I eat something. I feel like I'm in control for the first time in a long time.

Good luck! And be gentle with yourself.

2397855.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • BellyLaugh
    Options
    Needawaist - I hear you! This is the first time I've been able to keep a food diary too. And I've been asked to do it before not just for weight but for my migraines to see if certain foods trigger them. Thank you to (Mike, I believe that's his name) who started this site. Awesome! Yes, I'd love to be your friend. Congrats on your 8 lbs lost. We're similar in our goals. I have about 50 to lose too.
  • eleonoreOU
    eleonoreOU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma is not THAT bad. Come on! I moved here from France, and I actually DO like it!

If you want to get a good workout/get-your-butt-off-the-couch partner.... Get a dog. I started running with my dog and he's the one taking me for a run! That's pretty awesome.

And on top of that....It's great for the dog! I've seen his body change in the past month, it's ridiculous! (I sometimes wish my legs would look that good, that fast :p)
  • BellyLaugh
    Options
    EleonoreOU - you're right, Oklahomans are nice (except they tease me about my home state). And parts of it are absolutely beautiful. Since I love nature, I miss my land in East Texas. Beauty and wonder is everywhere though. I've made really good friends with "Lois" and her cousins. Lois is the black and yellow golden orb weaver (Argiope aurantia) that chose to spin her web attached to my bedroom patio screen doors. She's laid 3 egg sacs. Her cousins were all out by our "baby barn." Only one remains though. It's about time for these mommy spiders to say goodbye. Sad for me. On a more pertinent topic; I do have a dog but she's a timid Sheltie. I've tried several things to socialize her but nothing has helped her be comfortable outside of "her world." She hates going for walks. She gets daily exercise by playing frisbie. And, it's get my butt off THE BED...I recline in bed and prop my computer on my lab and my fingers get a great workout. Shouldn't confess that probably. Rainy out today, really wet from yesterday's rain too. There's always the Wii that sits unused. Hmmm.
  • jackal75
    Options
    You know what we call Texas up here in Alaska? That tiny little state with half the oil! (grin)

Also, they say that everything is bigger in Texas... but if we cut Alaska in half then Texas would be the THIRD largest state!... LOL

I joke about Oklahoma because I had basic training at Ft. Sill (Lawton). There isn't ANYTHING there! Really...I'd like to buy a damn tree, Pat Sajak!!!

[Run's BellyLaugh's big-girl panties up the flagpole....]
  • Dreamgirl97
    Dreamgirl97 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I know how you feel. My husbands job brought us to Ireland and it's harder than I ever imagined it to be. I miss my family,my support system(aside from my DH) , and my California sunshine!
  • BellyLaugh
    Options
    My "BellyLaugh" for the day. Laughter - good for, well, all of me!
  • BellyLaugh
    Options
    Oops, forgot to mention I was referring to Jackal's comments about Alaska v. Texas, etc. Thanks for more giggles.
  • BellyLaugh
    Options
    DreamGirl - but Ireland would be interesting for a season - big difference in climate from Southern California though. Maybe you'll get back home someday. I hope I do too. Am very grateful for the husband's job, wherever it takes us!
  • cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bellylaugh - you crack me up! I am sitting here eating my lunch (crunchy chicken salad) that I went out to get in the biggest windstorm in history (I am in chicagoland). Just remember, we all start somewhere....now get up and go to the wii! We got back this summer from a five year expat assignment in china....so I know how you feel! Make sure to friend us!
  • jackal75
    Options
    Here's another for ya BellyLaugh...

A friend of mine while travelling got a long layover in Dallas. He bellied up to a bar near his gate and ordered a drink. When his glass was empty, the pretty, young southern bell of a waitress comes over and asks if he would like another. He says that he would, and she says, "Would you like that Texas style?"

He asks, "Does that mean it's bigger or something?"

She replies, "Of course! EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas!"

He looks her in the eye and says, "Well then you better make mine ALASKA style then because this is a really long layover."

He got a dirty look, and never did get his drink.... LOL
  • BellyLaugh
    Options
    Bellylaugh - you crack me up! I am sitting here eating my lunch (crunchy chicken salad) that I went out to get in the biggest windstorm in history (I am in chicagoland). Just remember, we all start somewhere....now get up and go to the wii! We got back this summer from a five year expat assignment in china....so I know how you feel! Make sure to friend us!

Yeah, Chicago is very windy from my little experience there. My sister lived in the area for a while. Oklahoma is too windy for me. My theory is there aren't enough trees in my area of the state to block the wind. My overly hot, can't-walk-to-the-car-on-Sunday-mornings-for-church-without-getting-soaked, husband loves the "breeze" here as he calls it. Hee hee, he would like the description "overly hot" even though I was really referring to perspiration. I'm okay until winter then I HATE, HATE, HATE the wind. No Wii but I did do 10 min of step and it got my heart racing and I was "glistening" at the end. My first deliberate exercise in months. Yee-haw!
  • BellyLaugh
    Options
    Dearest Jackal,

LOL! I give ... Alaska indeed has the largest land mass! I've learned since being transplanted from my home state that I should clarify what part of Texas I most love because of the diverse regions and climates.

A purported fact ... on March 27, 1984, the temperature in Brownsville was 106 degrees while Amarillo reported snow and 35 degrees.

My folks got some fairly substantial hail damage this past week in Whitehouse, TX.

Since both my late and my current husbands (they never met) both stated I have little sense of humor, I will spare you any attempt to respond in kind with a joke. Keep yours coming; I do know HOW to laugh!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You have my deepest sympathies, I lived in OK for 18 months... too long. Sorry all you OK folks, maybe if I had gotten the opportunity to see more of the state than Muskogee I might have had a different opinion. I was transfered in for my job at the time, 2 months after my guy passed away. My boss was one of those bosses you really don't want. I should have filed charges, but I moved on instead. I have spent time in Amarillo and the Dallas area and enjoyed my time there (D more so than A).

Anyway... hello from another 47 year young person. Use the program, ask your questions, move the body and you will make your goals. Keep your sense of humor, your body will pull a few jokes on you while on your journey. :laugh: