Triatholon training suggestions

Options
So they other day my friend got the bug in my ear about trying to do a sprint triathlon. I'm currently running at a distance of 5 or more miles a couple days a week, swimming (usually 5x100), and could add the bike from some indoor cycling/spinning machines. Does anyone have any recommended plans for trying to center my training so I can work out with a purpose (especially related to swimming and bike)?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Google search a brick workout.
    That is what I'm going to do over the winter to get ready to train once the snow melts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go to beginnertriathlete.com to find some great programs.

you'll want to be training about six times a week. once a week swimming, two runs a week, and 2-3 bike rides.

and indoor cycling is no substitute for getting out on the road!
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Look to do some swimming drills to increase your swimming strength and distance, spin classes helped me take 7 minutes off my bike time from last year, and keep up the running. Come spring you can do some bricks to get the muscles used to getting off the bike and running.
    Have fun Tris are the best.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    run, cycle and swim a lot.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There's a bunch here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=28

And here:

http://www.triathloncoach.ca/free_training_plans.htm

Figure out how much time you want to devote to training, and then go for it! It's a blast, having such a variety of workouts, every day is different.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    go to beginnertriathlete.com to find some great programs.

you'll want to be training about six times a week. once a week swimming, two runs a week, and 2-3 bike rides.

and indoor cycling is no substitute for getting out on the road!

This ^
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    additionally, i never trained for the transitions, but its not a bad idea, to get your body used to the quick change in exercise.

for example, every time you finish a ride, get off your bike and run- even for only a few minutes. it was a wakeup call at my sprint triathlon when i started the run (the exercise i did most frequently during training)- my legs felt like jello and it took me a few minutes to get a good pace, since i started out running like a slug.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Beginnertriathlete.com is a great resource, agree w/the above.

The only thing I would add is to see if there is a triathlon group in your area. There is power in the group. Most of them are very beginner-friendly.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    if you are triathaloning, you should be bricking.
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lots of great responses. Thank you. This will really help me focus my workouts. Not sure if I can commit financially to the bike yet but I'm going to start saving. I have a good running program I'm doing for my half marathon work but my swimming could be more purposeful.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    you don't need a super expensive triathlon bike. i did my first sprint try on a 5-year old mountain bike. shortly afterwards i bought a road bike that was on sale. the only other thing you need is a helmet. you don't need clip-in shoes and aerobars, or whatever. just a bike that works!!
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Maybe if I do my training on Hubway bikes they'll sponsor me in the future :)

http://www.thehubway.com