Zumba calories burned ... ??

Options
I have a question: Why does MFP keep reducing the number of calories burned in an hour of Zumba?

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    They don't really know how much "you" burn doing an hour of Zumba. I would get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap if you want to get a decent estimate.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't know .....but many other zumba calorie calculators have been lower than MFP (in the past, anyway). Perhaps MFP is trying to bring their numbers closer to everyone else's. ??
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I agree with cupcake. MFP was giving me far more than i was burning. I only burn about 350-400 during 1 hour. However the instructor burns over 1,000. We both wear HRM's. It just depends on the person.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    The HRM is your best :)
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The only time my calories burned are reduced for the same exercise is when I lose weight, and enter that into my profile. As you lose weight, and become fitter, you burn less calories doing the same exercises. I wear a HRM and have been since the begininng, it's right inline with MFP's estimates.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a question: Why does MFP keep reducing the number of calories burned in an hour of Zumba?

Might it have something to do with you getting lighter? I know that TDEE calculators suggest re-figuring every 5lbs or so, and that it takes more cals to move a 250lb person down a road at 6mph than it does a 200lb person at the same speed.

Wait, did you lose some weight? Looking good.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    The calories you burn change as your weight changes. However, MFP grossly overestimates on calories. I usually take about 30% off when I am not wearing a HRM and just have to estimate to keep myself on track. I would rather underestimate than overestimate.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 500-700 in a class but I am 197ish and I keep my HR high. I wear a monitor to help push me...I have a polar and one I got from ALDI's for like $20 which works just as well. Both of mine have the chest straps
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight you don't burn as many calories during exercise as you did before.

BTW... MFP says I burn 1001 calories during an hour of Zumba, but my HRM says it's only 425-475!
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My instructor burns 1000-1200n calories an hour on her HRM. I'm only good for about 400 on mine. Could partly be due to calibration of devices. However, she weighs a bit more so she naturally burns some more calories. Zumba is good for you any way you slice it. Have fun with it and ENJOY! After all the more you like it, the more you'll do it, and the more calories you will burn. If you don't have an HRM, I'd strongly suggest it. There are some real reasonable units out there ... and who knows maybe Santa will bring you one for Christmas if you're good, lol.