Need tips on preparation for marathon

Options
Hey,

I have registered myself for next year's marathon. I am a complete non-runner kind. But since the time I have started doing Power 90 workout, zumba and yoga religiously, I have built a lot of stamina. This marathon is a challenge for me. I want to start preparing myself from today. Any suggestions?

Replies

• CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Like a full marathon? Whatever the distance, get yourself fitted for shoes. This is so important.

How much time do you have? I'm sure others can provide good advice for building up your mileage but whatever you do, start small and then gradually increase in terms of mileage and speed. There's a program called C25K that you can start off with. I never used it but did start small about 5 years ago. Since then, I've run several half marathons and other shorter races.

Best of luck!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    When's the marathon? PLan between 16-18 weeks for the actual marathon training (and lots of time :))

Between now and the time where you have to start training, start running. EVen if you can get up to running 20 miles a week your body will appreciate it. If you can work up one day a week to being longer runs that will be helpful for you. SO if you run 3 miles a few days a week and start taking one day from 3 miles to 4 miles to 5 etc until training starts it will help you with your long runs. But don't add a mile until you can conquer the 3 miles. And then you can add incremements if you want (quarter mile a week). The marathon will have you build your endurance for the race but you need some endurance for training!

If you don't have good running shoes go to a local running store and get fitted. YOu will hate the price but you will need them.

WATCH what you eat more than ever. A lot of people get into the mindset of "I'm running all these miles, I'll eat anything." I did that too and when I was running 60 miles a week I wasn't losing weight.... because I ate it all back! Incredible how much I had to eat for this to happen lol

Be prepared for some days not to be fun. But it will be worth it without a doubt.

Find a training plan that works for YOU. there are great ones out there for any level and some have you run more than others. Some marathon plans you can train for with running 3-4 days a week and other recommend 6. Do what works for you. Never miss your long runs. Ever.

I could talk all dya about this but I'll stop now :) Good for you and good luck :) You will have the time of your life!
  • fleamunky
    fleamunky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 marathons now, and I get my training plans from runner's world. They work out really well for me:

www.runnersworld.co.uk

You can get custom plans depending on what pace you plan on doing and how long you want the plan to be, and if you have a garmin you can download them to your device.
  • pizzmor
    Options
    I did two half marathons in Baltimore in '06 and '07. I went with the Jeff Galloway run injury free system. Way worth it if you are new to running and need to work into it.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com

Good luck!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for the runners on my friend list to see.

Good luck, OP, you're braver than me. :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Look into a run/walk program and just aim to finish. Start slow with the couch to 5k program and go from there.

I'm afraid that while stamina is good it doesn't really prepare your body for running so many miles.

Go to a proper running store and get fitted for shoes.

To be honest jumping straight into a marathon is somewhat foolish - and I speak from experience - I hurt myself trying to do to much too soon when I started running several years ago. The best route is to start slow enter a few 5k's then 10ks etc and build up SLOWLY. I've been running again since March and I'm now only doing a 10k with the thought of doing a half in March - maybe - if my body is happy about it.

Runners world has an excellent get you round program which you should look at.

But start with Couch to 5k first and foremost.

EDIT: what date is the marathon? - this is needed to give better advice. If it is the Mumbai Marathon in January I suggest deferring for a year.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Oh and stretch - look up runners stretches and stretch after every run - EVERY RUN. This will help prevent any issues (help but not stop if you go to far too soon).
  • pizzmor
    Options
    Look into a run/walk program and just aim to finish. Start slow with the couch to 5k program and go from there.

I'm afraid that while stamina is good it doesn't really prepare your body for running so many miles.

Go to a proper running store and get fitted for shoes.

To be honest jumping straight into a marathon is somewhat foolish - and I speak from experience - I hurt myself trying to do to much too soon when I started running several years ago. The best route is to start slow enter a few 5k's then 10ks etc and build up SLOWLY. I've been running again since March and I'm now only doing a 10k with the thought of doing a half in March - maybe - if my body is happy about it.

Runners world has an excellent get you round program which you should look at.

But start with Couch to 5k first and foremost.

EDIT: what date is the marathon? - this is needed to give better advice. If it is the Mumbai Marathon in January I suggest deferring for a year.

This is exactly what I did. Galloway has a run walk system that works well and its super easy to follow.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    find a good training program.

those activities you've already done will not prepare you for running. Good luck - you've got a lot of work ahead of you.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    find a good training program.

those activities you've already done will not prepare you for running. Good luck - you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

This ^^^

I went into running with the attitude that I was in decent shape prior and it will be no problem. Running is different. It's wonderful, yes, do it, yes, but it's not the same as Zumba or any other program. So, don't think that because you can do Zumba for an hour that you can jump right in and run for an hour.

Start with a C25K program. If it is the marathon in January, give yourself another year to prepare for it. Doing too much, too soon is a great way to injure yourself.
  • SelenaBou
    SelenaBou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If there is a running club in your area I highly recommend joining them. This is how I started out and they coached me to prepare for a half marathon. I have no desire to go further but am totally envious of people who do, I just don't have the mental stamina to run for 5hrs:)

Shoes are key so go to a running store and get properly fitted. The only other advice I have is keep consistent with your training. It's a tough road but one that will make you feel great in the end! Good Luck!!!!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have registered myself for next year's marathon. I am a complete non-runner kind. But since the time I have started doing Power 90 workout, zumba and yoga religiously, I have built a lot of stamina. This marathon is a challenge for me. I want to start preparing myself from today. Any suggestions?

So as of right now you don't run at all? Is that correct? How far away is the marathon? This honestly seems like a bad idea. A runner should have a minimum of 18 months of solid running before even trying a marathon. The workouts you are doing don't really relate to running fitness. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but you're setting yourself up for a really bad experience. Can you switch to the half marathon? If you get out and start running today you could be ready to do a half in a year. Get the c25k program and get started.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Hey,

So as of right now you don't run at all? Is that correct? How far away is the marathon? This honestly seems like a bad idea. A runner should have a minimum of 18 months of solid running before even trying a marathon. The workouts you are doing don't really relate to running fitness. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but you're setting yourself up for a really bad experience. Can you switch to the half marathon? If you get out and start running today you could be ready to do a half in a year. Get the c25k program and get started.

Yeah my thoughts exactly... isn't a marathon kind of like one of the holy grails for runners? Takes lots and lots of actual running practice :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    1. Get fitted for running shoes, including a stride analysis, at a running store.
    2. Get a heart rate monitor.
    3. Go here:

http://teamoregon.com/publication/online/0299run.htm

Team Oregon has the best training advice I have found.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You do realize that the very first marathoner, ie - the first guy who did it, and the racing event is named for his run... he died when got to his destination.

a few months to go from couch to marathon is asking for injuries.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I hope you actually have a whole year.

Get fitted for running shoes
    Slowly raise your miles/week to 25 (increase by no more than 10% each week)
    Once you can comfortably run 25/week, get an 18 week training plan.
    Invest in a foam roller
    Do not run fast. Your long runs need to be slow. Speed work will do very little for you until you have built up your aerobic endurance anyway.
  • isha_shiivv
    Options
    Thanks a lot to all of you for clarifying that practice for running is different from other forms of exercise and especially I need to work on this one to be prepared for the marathon. The marathon is in December 2014. I think thats a good news, I have enough time to practice.

Last December, I started jogging, but within few minutes, I would get cramps on my lower left abdomen (also known as side stitches). Because of those cramps, I stopped jogging and concentrated on aerobics and zumba. But no matter how much jumping jacks and high intensity aerobics I do now, I don't get these cramps now. I don't know what was the problem exactly. I still need to check by starting running again as to whether I get these cramps now. Yes, its true that I never did stretching before starting to jog, but I would walk for half an hour and then start jogging, so I thought my body must have warmed up. Am I wrong here?

I already have good running shoes. Will check out the apps that you guys have suggested. :-)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Please do some shorter races and try running before a marathon. I've been running for over two years and still don't think I'm ready for that distance. I just ran a 10 mile and it was challenging.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

This is the plan I'm doing for next summer's half marathon run. I love the pace that it has me at to train. Because the run is not scheduled for next summer, I'm doubling the length of time to do each week. I just started running in May & ran my first 5k in July. I love Hal's program, & he has a marathon training guide too.

Add me if you'd like for support. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Non-runner to marathon in one year?

May God have mercy on your soul.

And by that I mean, good luck. :flowerforyou:

(Because I tried a program of my own design called "too much too fast too often", I've managed to go from dormant runner to 6 miles in about a year (having spent 4 months completely sidelined with plantar fasciitis). I suggest you try a different plan than the one I used.)