Recycling/reusing protein tubs

Options
Since I seriously need to increase my protein intake, I decided to order a couple of tubs online. They just came in and the tubs themselves they look pretty good, they are made of black, matte plastic and the sticker is removable.

So I was wondering if anyone reuses these tubs? Do you store anything else in them, or reuse them in other ways? I'm trying to think of something I can use them for, besides tossing them. (Over here plastic is collected for recycling)

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite figured out what to do with the empties, but I've held on to a few in case an idea comes to me. Hopefully someone will reply to the thread with the perfect way to reuse these things.
  • mummygettingfit
    mummygettingfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    a few ideas I found:

I know this is not for you per se, but how about asking local daycare centers if they could use them. I drink protein drinks and take some to the daycare I work at. We use them for storage and make games out of them. I know I love them.

I tend to use buckets or jugs for watering when it gets hot. Pierce a small hole in the bottom and fill it with water, then set it at the base of a tree, shrub, or any other plant that you'd like to water. It leaks out slowly, and allows the water to soak in instead of running all over the place. I also know people who bury them next to bushes for the same purpose- that way you don't see them. They'd also be good for saving coffee grounds for composting (lots of good suggestions for plants that like them on this site). You could store cat food in them, too- We use rinsed- out kitty litter jugs, but these would work, too.

Seems like it would make a nice yarn canister . . . use a drill to make a hole in the top and make sure you file it smooth so the yarn won't catch. Drop your yarn inside, feed an end through the hole in the lid, and knit or crochet to your heart's content!

These would also make nice storage for embroidery work in progress. Include the directions and all thread colors, and you are ready to pick it up again when you can devote some time to your project.

What about cutting a coin slot in the top and use it to collect coins in? One of these near the washer could come in handy to save what winds up in the bottom of the washer after doing a load of laundry. It would also be useful in a bedroom for emptying out pocket change at the end of the day or when you clean out your purse.

You could also create a tool kit to keep in the trunk of your car by putting a few basic tools and maybe some emergency flares inside.

Create kits for items that folks can assemble themselves and give them as gifts for birthdays or holidays.

Store lego pieces in them!

Give them to a nursery school to use for building blocks. I'll bet they'd love to have them for storing lots of different teaching things in also.

Make a kid's bowling game outside by setting up ten of these and using a playground ball to roll at them to knock them down.

What about using them for a carnival game at a school? They could be placed snugly into either a box or an angled frame (made of wood?) and used for a toss game.

The lids could be used under plant pots to catch excess water.

Got kids going camping? Keep their gear nice and dry during the inevitable rain storm by stowing it in these nifty canisters!

Hope these help =D
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yeah I found those too while Googleing! I must say it doesn't give a lot of results, I guess they're not reused a lot because even though they are fine for storing stuff, they are just not decorative. If you Google Mason jars you'll find tons of ideas (but those are not sold here :-( )
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I throw my loose change into mine. Makes for a more than decent payoff when full.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use mine for cat food, another for yarn scraps or craft supplies, and another for bulk foods if I don't have enough room in my cupboard for a big box.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm using mine for storing cat biscuits, rice, pasta and anything dried I buy in bulk tbh.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Yeah I found those too while Googleing! I must say it doesn't give a lot of results, I guess they're not reused a lot because even though they are fine for storing stuff, they are just not decorative. If you Google Mason jars you'll find tons of ideas (but those are not sold here :-( )

If you want more decorative you could probably sand them and paint. Or get some paper (like wrapping or scrapbooking) and modge podge it on.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I throw my loose change into mine. Makes for a more than decent payoff when full.

Lmao, I'm guessing it'll take a few decades to fill it up, maybe just in time for retirement ;-)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    LOL yeah I haven't actually filled it yet. But it is Canada, and we have a lot of coins - so might be able to cash in sometime before retirement.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Something different that I'm doing with them this year is making Emergency Preparedness Kits for peoples cars and giving them as gifts for Christmas.

Some items to put in:
    Road flares
    Flash light
    Duct Tape
    Phillips Screw Driver & Flathead
    Granola Bars/Trail Mix
    Pocket knife
    First Aid Kit
    Change for pay-phones
    Hand Warmers
    List of emergency phone numbers