Good, convenient strength workouts for a runner?

Options
Hey everyone!

Recently I've been told-- by various peers and mfp users-- that it's important to incorporate strength training with running workouts. Although I'm doing the c25k plan, I do run an extra day or two a week simply because I love it so much and I would like to train for a 10k (those extra days are pretty easy though-- I usually try not to exert myself unless I miss a day or two of running).

Anyways, that's besides the point! I've been wanting to incorporate strength training into my workout days, and for the past two weeks I've been doing circuit training, since not only does it work muscles, but it's also working your cardiovascular system too. However, I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing a great job with these.

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on some convenient strength workouts that I can do at home without any equipment? (I have a yoga mat and some weights that weight 4 pounds altogether... not much in weight, but I use them for lunges and squats!)

Also-- maybe some advice on some strength workouts that I can do at the gym? I have a free membership since I'm a student, and I try to go there at least once a week for strength training.

I guess it should be noted that I TRY to do yoga twice a week-- I haven't been going for the past month though because of time conflicts. Any bit of advice would help! (: Thanks

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Not specifically for running, but a good workout without much equipment is the You Are Your Own Gym app for the smart phones.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have trainers? You can get a few pointers from them possibly, without signing up.

Check out New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts (or Strong Curves). They are all beginner lifting programs that incorporate compound lifts. You won't get bulky by lifting heavier stuff, especially eating at a deficit and running, but having more muscle mass (and lower body fat, in the long run) can help you be a more efficient runner. (And it's not necessary to include cardio in your strength days, beyond warmup).

As far as lifting at home, 4 lbs really isn't very much. I bet your backpack weighs 5 times that! :wink: You don't have to buy heavier weights, though. For squats and lunges, you could load your backpack with textbooks and put it on. You can take a couple of empty milk containers (or other gallon jugs) and fill them with water for 8 lb weights. You can google body strength exercises that will be more effective than the 4 lb dumbells (things like pushups, etc).

Enjoy!
  • kayleighlang5
    kayleighlang5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not specifically for running, but a good workout without much equipment is the You Are Your Own Gym app for the smart phones.

Aw, that sounds great! But I don't have any devices that will do apps (I have an ancient phone and an even more ancient ipod touch that doesn't accept any new apps)
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Aw, that sounds great! But I don't have any devices that will do apps (I have an ancient phone and an even more ancient ipod touch that doesn't accept any new apps)

You can buy You Are Your Own Gym as a good, old fashioned book! :wink:
  • labbielove
    labbielove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here is one example of some key strength training exercises specific to running. I've been using something similar on days I run and on my other days I incorporate strength training into my workouts 1-2 more times per week (i.e. Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD, or the free workouts on fitnessblender.com)

http://www.active.com/running/articles/10-running-specific-strength-training-exercises
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Check out runnersworld.com. They're are a great resource!