Cellulite

Options
Is there anybody here who has successfully eliminated cellulite thru exercise and diet? I'm not interested in temporary wraps, creams, pills, etc.

Just curious if it's possible to get rid of it or even reduce it. I have a lot on the front of my legs and I hate it. I have about 15-20 lbs more too lose and it would be nice to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of cellulite.

Replies

• Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sadly, me too. I have had it since I was young, and I hate it. Nothing I have ever done has made it go away. :(
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    I've had mine forever too and I found someone on here once who had before and after pics showing that she actually lost hers. She did it by lifting heavy weights and doing almost no cardio. I've started weights but haven't been able to give up my cardio. I don't think my cellulite is much better but my body is looking firmer.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I have had cellulite since I was a little girl. I lost 25 lbs and still had cellulite on the legs. Not sure if it ever goes away. I look great in clothes but still won't wear a bathing suit without a skirt.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I had cellulite on my thighs, but it has almost all disappeared since I've lost weight this year and exercise more. I changed my lifestyle and walk everywhere I can (I walk to work now, for local errands, and hike on the weekend).

Here's an interesting article about cellulite with pictures. It says some of it is genetic, but your weight, staying hydrated, and exercise can affect it:

http://www.medicinenet.com/cellulite_pictures_slideshow/article.htm
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've had mine forever too and I found someone on here once who had before and after pics showing that she actually lost hers. She did it by lifting heavy weights and doing almost no cardio. I've started weights but haven't been able to give up my cardio. I don't think my cellulite is much better but my body is looking firmer.

I lift and do almost no cardio like the woman u were talking about and I got rid of my cellulite. I eat at a deficit and have just been mainly lifting for months. I had alot of cellulite like many women in my family and eventually all mine went away, the skin in smooth, I just wish I had taken better pics
  • sassypants0923
    Options
    Do you lift heavy or strength train? I work out at home so I've been doing strength training DVDs. Lots of wall squats, weighted squats, and lunges. Can you tell me what you do? I wish I knew this 15 years ago!!
  • tonipaffel
    Options
    as you lose weight youll lose cellulite... i have 4 kids and got it w all them but when i lose my weight it goes away .... hope that helps
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    I don't have pictures, but my cellulite has been decreasing since I started running. There's still a bit left, but I have ten pounds left to lose, I'm hoping, and am feeling pretty confident, that it'll all go away.
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    Is there anybody here who has successfully eliminated cellulite thru exercise and diet? I'm not interested in temporary wraps, creams, pills, etc.

Just curious if it's possible to get rid of it or even reduce it. I have a lot on the front of my legs and I hate it. I have about 15-20 lbs more too lose and it would be nice to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of cellulite.

Yes, you will see a significant reduction in cellulite if you continue to exercise. I also recommend using a nice lotion after every shower to help your skin get some elasticity back.
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cellulite….the most dreaded word.

I see a dramatic reduction in cellulite on my legs since doing T25 and eating healthy. My legs and arms are more toned so when I walk there is less "jiggle" and "flapping." LOL

The thing about weigh lifting is that building up your muscle increases your metabolism so you end up burning more calories (and fat) throughout the day. Cardio is great for your heart and blood pressure, but if you really want to lower your body fat you should add some kind of weight/resistance training to your routine. There are tons of great home programs out there geared toward women and beginners. And NO you won't get bulky. You WILL get toned, have some beautiful definition in your arms and legs, and lose weight and fat!

Exercise and diet will certainly reduce the appearance of cellulite. But unfortunately we can't really "get rid" of it unless we have it cut or sucked out. Genetics plays a huge role as well. I am always envious of women who are even overweight but have smooth legs and butt. Lucky lucky lucky.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    Reduce the fat on your body. From there it's about genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Me me me!! I lost 70 pounds from when I had my last baby, was 100 pounds, and had cellulite.

Then I educated myself and realized it wasn't about being skinny, it was about being fit and healthy, and I started lifting heavy and eating WAY MORE. I went up to 110 pounds and reduced my cellulite to practically nothing.

Pictures of me at 100 pounds, then 110 pounds.

oldlegs.jpg

legs.jpg
  • sassypants0923
    Options
    Me me me!! I lost 70 pounds from when I had my last baby, was 100 pounds, and had cellulite.

Then I educated myself and realized it wasn't about being skinny, it was about being fit and healthy, and I started lifting heavy and eating WAY MORE. I went up to 110 pounds and reduced my cellulite to practically nothing.

Pictures of me at 100 pounds, then 110 pounds.

oldlegs.jpg

legs.jpg

YES! You are who I was talking about!!
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. There is a light!

I have just started using a fitbit so I track all my steps/miles and make sure I get !0k a day (difficult since I have an office job), but I make myself do it. I also do a Jillian Michaels workout right now and will work into more strenuous things when I build up to it. I have ran in the past and it didn't affect my cellulite at all. I am obviously missing the heavy lifting. I don't go to a gym, but will need to figure out how to incorporate this into my workouts.
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One more thing - can you ladies tell me what leg exercises/weights you do?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

There is another thread open about this subject. You can check some of the answers here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077057-cellulite-scientific-explanation-pls-will-it-go-away
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I got cellulite in my later teen years which were also high sugar/caffeine/junk food days. When I began making healthier food choices I dropped from the high 120s (124-128lbs) to 105-108lbs (at 5'3 1/2), began tanning and doing squats. My cellulite is completely gone except in VERY odd lighting situations...which I am rarely confronted with! :) There is hope! <33 Best of luck
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It's all about losing the fat. However you choose to do it.