Thoughts on Soy?

Options
For the non-vegetarians out there, or heck- even those that are... what is your take on soy products? Ive heard it causes bloat, weight gain, but also good for you. Okay- GO!

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have soy occasionally. I can't have dairy, but I prefer almond products or sometimes coconut products. However, soy is most widely available, so it's sometimes the only choice for me. I have tofu or edamame once a week on average, maybe twice, because I know it's not great but I don't like to eat a lot of meat but I want to consume all my protein.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'll eat fermented soy in small amounts.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I like it as tempeh and occasionally baked tofu, and I like salty edamame seeds, but that's about it. I don't like soy milk and don't like any other of those fake vegetarian foods like veggie burgers, veggie corn dogs, whatever - they just taste gross to me. There is a strong history of breast cancer in my family, so it's just as well.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Soy contains phytoestrogens, (plant estrogens) that act like human estrogen in the body. Too much is not good. Eating in moderation should be fine.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk, as I do not like dairy milk. I also don't mind using soy-based protein powder. Otherwise, I don't eat a lot of soy foods, because I eat meat. A lot of soy is GMO or grown by shady big-business, but soy in and of itself, I think is ok. As far as the phyto-estrogens go, my estrogen tends to run low, so having soy may help with that:)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have lots of soy. ( soy milk, tofu, TVP.... ( i would have tempeh, but can't get it easily)
    Often 200 g in a sitting. Tofu).
    Never noticed any bloating.
    I have however noticed very noxious gasas if i have too much tvp and dont drink enough, but thats more of an excess protein, not enough hydration issue.

I'd say try soy if it doesn't agree with you move on, but no reason to avoid it otherwise.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I eat Tofu and I drink Silk unsweetened soy and yes I have problems with bloating. I have to eat soy sparingly BC it does cause bloating I only drink sugar free soy and it leaves me with terrible gas.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Plant oestrogen is different from animal oestrogen and shouldn't make a difference if you consume it.
    I've been drinking 300ml-1000ml of soy milk nearly every day over the past few weeks, and apart from occasional stomach irritation, it has caused me no problems as far as I can tell.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation :)
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I have soy every other day with my cereal for breakfast. My stomach goes insane if I have milk, so if I want ice cream.. I really have to be careful how much I consume.
  • hold_the_mayo
    hold_the_mayo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I just really missed tofu in my life, and wanted to have some, but did not want to have adverse side effects.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Plant oestrogen is different from animal oestrogen and shouldn't make a difference if you consume it.
    I've been drinking 300ml-1000ml of soy milk nearly every day over the past few weeks, and apart from occasional stomach irritation, it has caused me no problems as far as I can tell.

Sorry, this is not correct.

There is much confusion in the literature regarding phytosterols. There are some plants which are purported to be "hormonal" or "estrogenic", but contain no phytosterols. The confusion arises because plant constituents other than phytosterols sometimes exert an estrogenic, or progesteronic effect . Estrogen is unique in this as most other hormones and adrenocorticoids require precise molecular shapes to bind to receptors. Numerous substances, however, seem to be able to complex with estrogenic receptors.3,4 Additionally, some botanicals have been found to act on the brain and effect hypophoseal hormone release without containing steroidal constituents. For example, porphyrin constituents in the Wild carrot, Daucus carota are shown to stimulate the pituitary to release gonadotropins. 5. Other constituents are smooth muscle antispasmodics to the uterus, and others effect circulation to the uterus and pelvis. Some authors use the term phytoestrogen to refer to any constituent that has an estrogenic effect, while others reserve the term for those estrogenics that are specifically steroidal in nature . As we shall see, many different chemical constituents, not only the phytosterols, can effect hormonal metabolism and action of the reproductive organs in animals. We will also examine what action the sum total of all the constituents, in any individual botanical species has on the human organism. We will seek to note a particular essence or specific indication of plants studied. The chemicals are only an indication of the energy the plant posesses.

http://www.greenbush.net/morthanyouev.html

The effects of numerous substances in plants in the human body are still being studied. But there are countless botanical creams and pills that contain these plants, and I can assure you (from first hand experience) that they exert a powerful effect in the human body.

Soy does seem to provide some benefit from Japanese studies, where SMALL amounts of it are being eaten daily. That is a completely different scenario than here in the US, where people regularly drink or eat massive amounts of it as an animal product replacement. That is why I say use it in moderation. That means, eat a little every day. But don't drink gallons of soy milk, eat soy ice cream, and assume it is not effecting you. And the same goes for men, because they have estrogen receptors too. :wink:
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have heard that soy is good, just not in large quantities.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Sorry, this is not correct.

"phytoestrogens mimic estrogen only very weakly. A number of clinical studies in men have cast doubt on the notion that eating soy influences testosterone levels to any noticeable extent. And most large studies of soy intake and breast cancer rates in women have not found that it causes any harm, said Dr. Anna H. Wu of the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California." (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/27/ask-well-is-it-safe-to-eat-soy/?_r=0)

"No significant effects of soy protein or isoflavone intake on T, SHBG, free T, or FAI were detected regardless of statistical model.
    The results of this meta-analysis suggest that neither soy foods nor isoflavone supplements alter measures of bioavailable T concentrations in men." (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0015028209009662)

Plus more info. here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nU6fJo0mUc
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Tagging, to read the articles later.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Soy is fine. It's a regular part of my diet, both soy milk for smoothies and tofu (miso soup:love: )
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I get sick every time I eat it. So for me personally.... It's evil.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    For the non-vegetarians out there, or heck- even those that are... what is your take on soy products? Ive heard it causes bloat, weight gain, but also good for you. Okay- GO!

I have never heard of any of this. unless you have some sort of allergy to soy, I wouldnt worry.

Many people demonize these foods due to the fact they want to find a reason they are not losing weight.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat soy. So far I have not become a woman.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    fermented = yes (like miso and tempeh, etc)...otherwise I don't touch the stuff.