I need help.

Options
I need help. I have no self control. All I do is eat and eat and eat because I'm depressed. I'm not fat right now... I'm normal sized... but I need to get back in control. Does anyone have any advice to avoid the chocolate in the cupboard? and anyone willing to offer support? depressed, and alone. thanks everyone.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? Is there something that triggered it?
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    the past 2 months. bad break up, parents divorced, tough time at school, a couple ended friendships. life has just been really tough.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you!!! Chocolate cravings can be avoided by upping your magnesium found in black beans & leafy greens (salads), plus just don't buy it. :)http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennifercohen/2012/04/10/10-unique-ways-to-kill-your-cravings-and-those-extra-pounds/

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    I also struggled with anorexia before. then I started to recover, and began emotional eating and bingeing, and now everything is kind of screwed up. I need some advice and support.
  • jules11786
    jules11786 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hear you and confirm that we are in the same boat. My husband believes that in order to break a habit, we should go cold turkey. Thats how he quit smoking and later sugar. With depression comes emotional eating. Talk about what youre going through, thinking and experiencing. Also keep a journal in which you randomly jot down your emotions and frustrations. It really does help.
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    I need to lose about 10lbs. But I cant seem to help myself anymore, I'm so emotionally destroyed, and eating is the only thing I do besides sleeping. I stopped exercising, I stopped making healthy choices, its just gone all wrong.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You may seriously want to consider talkng to someone or try to find a support group if insurance is a problem. I've never suffered from an eating disorder but I do suffer from depression and anxiety. It sounds like you don't have a strong support system and that is what you need during these times.

I feel your pain and hope you have at least one real life person you can talk to who won't judge.

Also try going for a walk to get some endorphins flowing, they are a natural antidepressant and the fresh air can help clear your mind. There's always yoga and meditation as well.
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    Thanks :) I do have people I can talk to, its just when I'm home alone loaded with tons of feelings and emotions, I can't cope. Looking for some support, guidance and tips from people on here to help me with my weight loss.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier to not buy those items than to not eat them when they are already at your home. If you are having trouble moderating, then don't have the foods that are particularly problematic around.

I still don't have cookies in the house often, or brownies. I'm a realist. I don't care if I should be able to have them around and not eat too many of them. It works to not have them around all of the time, and I am going with whatever works.
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    Good idea :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry so much has hit you all at once. Even though you asked about controlling eating, your statements about being depressed and only wanting to eat and sleep suggest that you already know that your problem is larger than resisting chocolate cravings. Even if we offer you tips for substituting lower-calorie foods or craving-defeating strategies or motivation, the underlying difficulties you're facing and the emotional impact they're having on you will still be there. So I hope (and I mean this in the kindest way possible) that you'll find some help and support in the real world, whether from a doctor, therapist, or a support group (one aimed at the issues causing your depression, e.g., relationship loss, not one aimed at weight issues). Maybe you could at least see your doctor to get screened for depression?

You've said you're not overweight now, but then you say you're looking for "support, guidance and tips from people on here to help me with my weight loss." Why do you need support for weight loss if you're not overweight? Given that you also say you have a history of anorexia, you might want to ask yourself why you now want to lose weight if you're not overweight?

But to try to give you a little bit of what you're asking for, here's something to think about with respect to the chocolate cravings. The next time one hits, ask yourself, "Did it help the last time? Did it really make me feel better? Did it give me the emotional energy to do something other than eat something else or go to bed? If I have a piece of chocolate, is it going to enable me to go do something active, go to the gym, take a walk or go for a run, put on an exercise tape, put on music and dance?" (But also, how much chocolate are we talking about? One piece, if it fits in your calorie budget for the day, is really not a problem. Are you sure that between you're depression and anorexic history you're overestimating the importance of that chocolate.)

Best of luck to you, and I hope that things start getting easier for you soon.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Hi. You asked a similar question to the person in this thread and there are lots of good pieces of advice:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1128496-will-power-where-does-it-come-from
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about all the things you're going through.

You certainly can benefit from seeking help as others have mentioned. In the meantime, do you have any hobbies that can occupy your mind and time? Do you have friends you can share these hobbies with? Sometimes people relapse into this unhealthy cycle because they withdraw from many of the activities they used to do. Even if it's a new hobby, it can take your mind off things.
  • tyleeloo30
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) im going to start my weightloss journey tomorrow, and get a gym membership :) no more emotional eating!!