SKINNY FAT

Options
Hi, I'm new to MFP. Here's a little bit about me. I'm female, 39 yrs old, and 5'2" and have never been over 115. I'm about 113-111 now. My arms are the skinniest and my calvess the strongest and I also have a belly. I've had it all my life. =(
I've never been "fat" but I'm far from "fit" either.

My goal is to be in the best shape of my life by 40 (6months from now). I started a gym just a year ago and the place really keeps me motivated but aside from going to classes, I have no idea what I'm doing and if it's going to help me reach my goal of a flat, strong core and strong shoulders. (I want to be able to do a pull up!!!)

I've been all over the community boards and I've been reading that weight training is the thing to do. But I have NO IDEA where to start.
The classes I take are Zumba twice a week, core/pilates/barre 1-2/ week, HIIT once a week, and suspension training once a week. I mainly take those classes bc it fits my schedule. No other reason. I don't even know if the core or HIIT or suspension is considered strength or cardio???
I should mention I've only upped the classes to this amount in the past 3 months. Before that I was making maybe 2 zumbas and a core class a week.

The other issue I'm having is the 1200 calorie limit MFP set. I'm STARVING. That's the other reason I've been working out so much more, just so I can eat back my calories. I've never counted calories before so this is all new to me. I think I eat pretty clean. I'm vegetarian and don't do dairy well so I'm limited on what I eat. OH! and I think I'm gluten sensitve too. =(

Anyhow, if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    At those stats, you don't need to lose weight, you need to lower your body fat. That means eating a SMALL deficit (like 300 calories under your TDEE) and doing progressive strength training. It doesn't have to be weight lifting, but lifting heavy gives ypi the most bang for your buck, and doesn't require fitting a class into a schedule. If you want to lift, pick up a book on beginning strength training like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength. They will give you a good routine of compound lifts and explain how to do the lifts with proper form, find the right weight, etc.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You should eat more because it not 'weight' you're looking to lose; it's body fat. You have to start doing strength, and really clean up your diet. Eat whole, all natural, clean foods. Try to get into weightlifting :) best of luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing the 1200 thing? You are skinny (albeit more 'fatty' than you would like). If I were you, I would eat at maintenance and eat my exercise calories back. You aren't going to be able to build lean body mass if you are eating at a deficit.

ETA: Since you are looking to build LBM, you'll want to up your protein macro. The automatic settings for MFP set that one pretty low by default.

Check out the group 'Eat, Train, Progress' for some great ideas for eating and exercising.
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose but you can always tone up by lifting weights. As women, we need to do weight bearing exercises to keep our bones strong. Many women don't understand that we won't look like men if we lift weights. Muscles are sexy!
  • pleekwilliams
    Options
    Why are you doing the 1200 thing? You are skinny (albeit more 'fatty' than you would like). If I were you, I would eat at maintenance and eat my exercise calories back. You aren't going to be able to build lean body mass if you are eating at a deficit.

ETA: Since you are looking to build LBM, you'll want to up your protein macro. The automatic settings for MFP set that one pretty low by default.

Check out the group 'Eat, Train, Progress' for some great ideas for eating and exercising.

I'm just following what MFP told me. I'm thinking WAY back to when I was following Jorge Cruise and doing weights and I was down to 105lbs. I was in the best shape but then got into a car accident...and I never completed the program. And pretty much did nothing for years.

Also, I don't know how to increase protein. I barely make MFP's protein requirement. As I mentioned, I'm vegetarian so I do Garden of Life's Raw Protein shakes and Rockin' Wellness daily. But along w/ the protein it adds lots of calories and I'm STILL hungry so I try not to drink more than one a day.

How do you figure out TDEE??? What does that mean?? Like I said, I'm pretty new to all this. Thanks
  • Stage14
    Options

I'm just following what MFP told me. I'm thinking WAY back to when I was following Jorge Cruise and doing weights and I was down to 105lbs. I was in the best shape but then got into a car accident...and I never completed the program. And pretty much did nothing for years.

Also, I don't know how to increase protein. I barely make MFP's protein requirement. As I mentioned, I'm vegetarian so I do Garden of Life's Raw Protein shakes and Rockin' Wellness daily. But along w/ the protein it adds lots of calories and I'm STILL hungry so I try not to drink more than one a day.

How do you figure out TDEE??? What does that mean?? Like I said, I'm pretty new to all this. Thanks

Did you set MFP to lose 2lbs a week? That is the usual reason for it setting someone at 1200. If you switch it to .5lb per week, that will give you a much smaller deficit, which is better for lowering body fat, but requires very accurate logging and does make the weightloss part slower.

For protein, I would search "vegetarian protein" both on this site and on Google. You'll find tons of suggestions for protein that doesn't involve meat. Eating a good portion of protein each day is very important when doing body recomposition because it (along with strength training) is what preserves your muscle, making sure you burn mostly fat stores.

TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure, or the number of calories you would need to eat in order to maintain your current weight at your current lifestyle. I'm on my phone and can't link, but if you google "tdee calculator" you'll get a ton of websites where you can put in your information and estimate your TDEE. Scooby's Workshop, Fitness Frog, and IIFYM.com are all pretty reputable sites for TDEE calculation. Figure out your TDEE then set your goal for 250-500 calories under that number. When you use the TDEE method, you include your weekly exercise, so you don't eat back those calories like you do with MFP settings.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Are you strict vegetarian or lactose ova?

I am a vegetarian and get over 160g protein a day.

Good sources are seitan, soy, quorn, nutritional yeast, hemp seeds, dairy. If you are having hitting your target, then try whey protein powder if you are ok with dairy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

MFP provides a recommended net caloric intake based on what you enter. What did you specify as your non-exercise activity level? Which weekly weight loss goal did you select?

If I were to assume you exercised between 3-5 days per week (moderately active), and were around 28% body fat, TDEE calculators would estimate an average maintenance intake of about 1800 (+- 14%) calories - so it could range between 1548 to 2052 calories. To lose a recommended 0.5 lbs per week, that sets your gross intake anywhere between 1300 and 1800 calories.

Are you accounting for all food intake and weighing everything using a digital scale?

But definitely check out books like New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength to obtain the fundamentals of weight-lifting.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    At those stats, you don't need to lose weight, you need to lower your body fat. That means eating a SMALL deficit (like 300 calories under your TDEE) and doing progressive strength training. It doesn't have to be weight lifting, but lifting heavy gives ypi the most bang for your buck, and doesn't require fitting a class into a schedule. If you want to lift, pick up a book on beginning strength training like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength. They will give you a good routine of compound lifts and explain how to do the lifts with proper form, find the right weight, etc.

Pretty much sums it up nicely... good job.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You should eat more because it not 'weight' you're looking to lose; it's body fat. You have to start doing strength, and really clean up your diet. Eat whole, all natural, clean foods. Try to get into weightlifting :) best of luck!

No. Thank you for trying to help, but not completely accurate.

1 - When 99.9999999% of us say weight loss we mean fat loss. Few are those trying to lose muscle and those that are should (likely would) make that clear in their posts.

2 - A calorie deficit will cause the body to tap into fat stores, including belly fat. For that purpose it makes no difference whether the calories you are consuming come from raw veggies or from twinkies. A deficit of X is a deficit of X and will cause fat loss period.
  • pleekwilliams
    Options
    I don't eat any type of meat (fowl, beef, pork, seafood..) and but I do eat eggs. Sometimes too many.
    I don't eat much dairy bc it doesn't agree w/ me. Sometimes I eat a little goat cheese but that's it.
    Same w/ whey or casein, I can't stomach it. Which is why my protein shakes are vegan based. And I like them. I just drink them so easily that I can easily go over my calories there too.
    I don't like seitan. I've tried and tried. I'm ok w tofu but having thyroid issues and possible Hashimotos, I've read that it's best to avoid soy and gluten. (Do you see my dilemma?)

I've been roughly about the same for most of my adult life, I just want to get past this point and get into really good shape and I set in my mind that I want it by the time I'm 40 (which is in 5 months).

I want those abs! I want to be able to do a pull up and maybe a hand stand.

I don't know if my time frame is reasonable. I had set it about 3 months ago and it seemed more doable. But as time is passing by and I'm seeing only tiny changes, I'm starting to worry.

That's why I'm on here asking all you knowledgeable people what to do.

Thanks again.
  • Stage14
    Options
    Are your protein shakes premade? If so, you might look into a protein powder that is soy based. I have found that the protein/calorie ratio is much better when I make my own shakes with protein powder over most of the premade ones. I use milk in mine, but you could easily use coconut water or almond milk to mix with it.

ETA: eggs are also a great protein source, or egg whites if you need a lower calorie option.
  • pleekwilliams
    Options
    Are your protein shakes premade? If so, you might look into a protein powder that is soy based. I have found that the protein/calorie ratio is much better when I make my own shakes with protein powder over most of the premade ones. I use milk in mine, but you could easily use coconut water or almond milk to mix with it.

ETA: eggs are also a great protein source, or egg whites if you need a lower calorie option.

My protein shakes are protein powders. I use Garden of Life Raw Protein (17g protein at 90 calories) and Rockin' Wellness and add unsweetened almond milk, ice, and water.

I usually drink them after a green smoothie.

Today, however, I skipped the green smoothie and for breakfast I had a protein shake that was:
    Garden Of Life Raw Fit (which has 28g protein at 170 calories) w RW (4g protein at 90 calories), unsweetened almond milk, ice and water, 2 cups of spinach and a banana and that's 429 CALORIES!!!

That's what I mean. Everytime I try to increase protein, the calories shoot sky high.

And at 1/3 of my daily calories, I'm not stuffed by any means. Will the protein sustain me for later?? B/c I can still eat right now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I don't eat any type of meat (fowl, beef, pork, seafood..) and but I do eat eggs. Sometimes too many.
    I don't eat much dairy bc it doesn't agree w/ me. Sometimes I eat a little goat cheese but that's it.
    Same w/ whey or casein, I can't stomach it. Which is why my protein shakes are vegan based. And I like them. I just drink them so easily that I can easily go over my calories there too.
    I don't like seitan. I've tried and tried. I'm ok w tofu but having thyroid issues and possible Hashimotos, I've read that it's best to avoid soy and gluten. (Do you see my dilemma?)

I've been roughly about the same for most of my adult life, I just want to get past this point and get into really good shape and I set in my mind that I want it by the time I'm 40 (which is in 5 months).

I want those abs! I want to be able to do a pull up and maybe a hand stand.

I don't know if my time frame is reasonable. I had set it about 3 months ago and it seemed more doable. But as time is passing by and I'm seeing only tiny changes, I'm starting to worry.

That's why I'm on here asking all you knowledgeable people what to do.

Thanks again.

A couple suggestions based on your limitations:

- nutritional yeast
    - hemp seeds
    - quorn
    - egg whites
    - maybe try lactose free milk like lactaid
    - mushrooms and spinach and a few other veggies are actually pretty high in protein
    - heavier on the carb ratio, but beans and quinoa are decent sources also

I have never heard of avoiding gluten if you have a thyroid issue (soy, yes).