Running inside track vs treadmills?

Options
Hello. I was wondering which would be better to get started running on the inside track or treadmills?

Running outside is no good because it is super slippery.

I am going to try to start running but I don't know which to start on the inside track vs treadmill :drinker:

Replies

• Firefighter4ever
    Options
    Nothing wrong with treadmill running if that's what you have to use.

Just be aware that if you are training for a 5k, real life ground pounding VS treadmill running are too different animals.

When I first starting running, I used the treadmill and got my a s s handed to me when I hit the pavement the first time.

Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What are you running on outside that is slippery? Track > treadmill, but it will get redundant after a while. Go outside!
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What are you running on outside that is slippery? Track > treadmill, but it will get redundant after a while. Go outside!

Ice...
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Ice...

Yes ice and it warms up to 23 degrees during the day. How about you come here try to run outside with the side walks filled with ice and it being "warm" at 20 degrees. Its fun just trying to walk on the side walks without slipping all over the place. Where I live 20 degrees is warm this winter it is going to get down to -60 below 0
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Track running will be closer to running outside if your goal is to get experience to eventually run outside. If you just want to learn to run the treadmill is fine although extremely boring. The only reason I like the treadmill is that I can play with the buttons and increase my speed while watching the stats at the same time. Well, that and I get the idea of not running outside in snow and ice!

Keep in mind that treadmills will lie about your calorie burn so I'd recommend not eating back more than half.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Ice...

Yes ice and it warms up to 23 degrees during the day. How about you come here try to run outside with the side walks filled with ice and it being "warm" at 20 degrees. Its fun just trying to walk on the side walks without slipping all over the place. Where I live 20 degrees is warm this winter it is going to get down to -60 below 0

I live in South Dakota. I run in pretty crappy stuff myself, and yeah, it totally sucks. I guess I'd pick the track, if I absolutely 100% could not run outside due to loss of life.
  • James0808
    Options
    Do what you can when you can.. If you have the option go with the track..

That's my answer without knowing you though, if you're above 220lbs use the elliptical instead and SLOWLY start jogging.. Just be smart about it and do what you enjoy the most
  • frankiedb
    frankiedb Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Even thou outside is much harder I use the treadmill because of my knees. It's softer and has less impact then the pavement.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Ice...

My coach lives in Fairbanks. He runs in temps down to -30°F. You can run outside when it's that cold if you have the right gear and you hit the trails. Snow is far less slippery than roads or sidewalks. I'm not saying you SHOULD, I'm just saying that you shouldn't let the temperature inhibit you if you would rather be outside.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Don't your roads and sidewalks get cleared of snow and ice? I live in MN and we get a lot of snow and really cold temps. I run outdoors all winter long.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out and want to see if running is for you, I would definitely go with track over treadmill. The never changing scenery could get a little dull though of either. If you find you like running, there are special clothes you could wear if you feel you need it.

Running outside is preferred though. Ice can be a tough one to deal with if that is all you have to run on. Although there are remedies to combat it. I pretty much run outside in shorts and long sleeve shirt til it gets down to 30-35 its not that bad once if you warm up first.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use yaktracks for running on snow and ice. They are basically removable cleats that fit over your running shoes. They work really well.

No shame in the treadmill though.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you are not up for running in cold weather or just new and want to try it out, I would choose track over treadmill.

Although either can get fairly dull when your scenery is never changing for the most part.

Perhaps you will like it enough and eventually run outside, its not that bad.
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I live on my treadmill. I like to run outside sometimes, but I'd say 90% of my workouts take place on the treadmill and I have seen excellent results from it. It was great for getting me started, and now I can adjust it to any difficulty I like.
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    Ice? I feel like a wimp. Our cold is around 34 degrees. Kudos to you ice runners.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm at 6,350ft elevation and daily wind of 20mph. So most of my running is on my treadmill (about 22miles/week).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Ice...

Track is definitely more like reality than treadmill. Both are better than nothing. When the roads clear and it's 30 or 40f head outside. Stay outside as long as you can safely do it. But definitely track. My kingdom for an indoor track.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm at 6,350ft elevation and daily wind of 20mph. So most of my running is on my treadmill (about 22miles/week).
    Yup, 7500 feet here. It gets nippy, but I stay outside as much as I can. We don't have huge winds, so that helps.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

On your "warm" days, you should try running outside. You'll definitely want to get Yaktrax or some other ice cleat. Last winter I used Korkers. They were a rubber strap with small studs. You'll also probably have better luck on snowmachine trails than around town.