OMG GROSS!

darkrose20
darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
OK, so I thought I'd make a salad today for "lunch". So I got out the carrots, a red bell pepper, some leftover chicken, an avocado, a tomato and some very fresh, very dark, very yummy looking Romaine lettuce. Then *wham* it hits me, I ran out of Ranch two days ago :cry: , but what luck (!) I have a packed of blue cheese dressing left from a lunch long ago. OK, "Perfect" I think. NO...not so much. There was but a mere three drops of dressing in that packet, or so it seemed:explode: :angry: . There was so very little for a large lunch salad. OH NOES!!! I am out of dressing all together. I could make some balsamic vineagrette, but NO I can't mix Blue Cheese and Balsamin Vin....no way! So, EWWW plane raw veggies with three whole drops of dressing. Ugh! Culinary NIghtmare! Fail! I lose at life! Booo!!!! Dude, If this is diet food, forget it. I'll be fat. I'll have high cholesterol. I'll have gout. I'll have my heart attack next year. I'll get cancer. Yeah, cancer.

OK, well, that said. I'm off to get some yummy salad dressing to use in moderation. :laugh: :indifferent: :heart:

Replies

• Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Vinaigrettes are the best!! I do like my salads :D

I'm a big fan of Newman's Own Vinaigrettes - especially the sesame ginger, though it's a bit salty.
    Marzetti are the ABSOLUTE best dressings -- you can only find them in the refrigerated sections and not every store has them.

For making your own, though... here are some GREAT links:

A Mock Creamy Caesar dressing:
    http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2013/04/26/caesar-y-salad/

Every Vinaigrette Possible:
    http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2013/07/03/vinaigrette-salad-dressings/

Oil Free Dressing Recipes:
    https://sites.google.com/site/hgkprintablerecipes/the-big-list-of-oil-free-dressings-volume-ii

You can blame my therapist for all the "oil free" BS ... he's a big fan of *entirely* unprocessed foods... but the dressings are still pretty awesome.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Oh. Awesome! I'm going to have to check these out!
  • You can use Greek yogurt (instead of mayo) and the Hidden Valley Buttermilk packages. Yummers!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    I tend to use salsa and or hot sauce on my salads. I do like the Marzetti Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette though.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    My current favorite homemade is lemon juice and olive oil whisked together.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    mastheads_d_dressings_02_Yogurt_Chunky-Blue-Cheese_png_d84fffdb-c523-4eff-ae8d-5cace37f979c.png

Best Stuff EVA. So wonderful. As good as any Blue Cheese dressing
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Blue cheese and balsamic are a great combo sweet with tart
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Grate some cheddar over it and add dried cranberries or sunflower seeds. Or a little splash of balsamic or red wine vinegar.
  • mastheads_d_dressings_02_Yogurt_Chunky-Blue-Cheese_png_d84fffdb-c523-4eff-ae8d-5cace37f979c.png

Best Stuff EVA. So wonderful. As good as any Blue Cheese dressing
  • Yes I loveeee it. No where near the amount of calories as the usual salad dressings.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Eat the salad without dressing. That's the only way it would be healthy. And try putting some meat and beans on it for some protein.
  • Eat the salad without dressing. That's the only way it would be healthy. And try putting some meat and beans on it for some protein.

no. she would prefer to die a horrible death.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    Eat the salad without dressing. That's the only way it would be healthy. And try putting some meat and beans on it for some protein.

oh for goodness sake.

A basic salad with a small amount of dressing is perfectly healthy.

and every single thing doesn't have to have added protein in it - anyway, there was left over chicken in it, I think that is meat.