Achieving a pull-up

Options
Hey, so one of my goals it to be able to do a pull-up (hopefully multiple pull-ups) by January. I currently can't do even one. Anybody have tips on working your way into it? Thanks!

Replies

• jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I started by jumping up and slowly lowering myself and just hanging there sometimes haha, Now i can do about 12 chinups and 8 pullups not a ton but now im trying to do one handed pullups :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    negatives are great!!
    inverted rows (australian pull ups)
    DB rows
    T Rows
    Lat pull downs
    Rubber band assisted
    or the assisted pull up machine (as a last resort)

Also- using a chair is a great option- put your foot on it- and give yourself an assist - that way you don't need a helper to do them on the bar.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Put your foot on the back of a chair or use a stability ball. You can find a lot of youtube videos that demonstrate different techniques.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Lose weight. It's much easier when you are lighter. I lost 15lbs and can do a few more than two months ago. My 7yo daughter can do 8 mid grip.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think I got my first one by doing negatives and flexed arm hang. Band assisted ones are also good and fat mans. Another poster is right, it's easier when you weigh less but I've recently gotten up to sets of three with a 25lb plate tied on.

The assisted machine isn't the best because, like smith machine squats, it takes a lot of the other movement away like the sway and swing when you are pulling up.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do any in July and can do 4 in a row as of yesterday. My method was pretty simple. I'd start with negatives (get yourself into the pull up top position, then slowly let yourself down). I'd do this while out walking my dog at the local school yard. I'd attempt to lift myself back up every time.

After about a month of this (approx 3x a day), I was able to complete my first pull-up.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

I just watched this, and that is basically what I did! I just stumbled across it on accident. :smile:
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    Austrian pull up!
    Partner assisted pull up!
    Lat pull downs with increasing of weight!
    Pull up machines that take weight off you!
    Increase your grip strength!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the great tips!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Used to be good at it, but I've neglected doing them and need to work it up again. I'm getting some lifting bands since I work out at home and no access to an assist machine. Otherwise, I'd build them up that way. I'm also on the heavier end right now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Unless my client is really heavy and really lacks upper body strength, I do it with them the old school way. Have them hang, attempt the pullup while I hold their feet and assist them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think I got my first one by doing negatives and flexed arm hang. Band assisted ones are also good and fat mans. Another poster is right, it's easier when you weigh less but I've recently gotten up to sets of three with a 25lb plate tied on.

The assisted machine isn't the best because, like smith machine squats, it takes a lot of the other movement away like the sway and swing when you are pulling up.

I have had for you- I'm up to 15 lbs- and I can do two sets of 5- well one good set of 5 and then like 4 and the last rep for 5 is REALLY pathetic looking- or I'll drop it. :/

I'm mad bro LMAO

(no really good for you)