I gained 20 pounds in 3 days

Options
13»

Replies

• ehimass
    ehimass Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No. I weighed myself after eating the following on Sunday:

1 Pastrami Sandwich (approx 4 oz of pastrami, 2 slices wheat bread, lettuce) (200 cal)
    .5 Turkey wrap (flour toritilla filled with approx 4 oz turkey meat and 1 oz cheddar cheese) (300 cal)
    4 oz beef lasagna (300 cal)
    2 oz mixed vegetables (grean beans, corn, diced carrots) (100 cal)
    6 oz cornbread (400 cal)
    1 brownie (2 oz?) (200 cal)
    1 Payday candy bar (250 cal)
    2 Take 5 candy bar (500 cal)
    1 Nutrageous candy bar (480 cal)
    2 Chocolate Chip cookies (300 cal)
    approx 4 litres water

So I would actually only estimate 3000-4000 calories on sunday....obvoiusly I have to estimate the catering on the airplane because there are no labels (the sandwich, wrap, lasagna, cornbread, brownie, and veggies in this case).

I was getting these cravings for chocolate/peanut candy and I just went absolutely bonkers. Cookies, candy bars, peanuts, caramel, I just couldn't get enough of it over the weekend.

Today I have done well and am back on the diet. I am hoping to be able to maintain throughout the week.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Sounds like you ate a lot of sodium-heavy foods, so you'll be retaining water due to that. You have to eat 3500cal over maintenance to gain a pound - and so unless you ate 70,000 calories over maintenance in three days, you won't have gained 20 pounds of fat. Drink lots of water and it should come off.
    ^^^this
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you have managed to completely break the laws of thermodynamics!

Or it is water weight.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself on different scales
    Have the batteries gone
    did you weight yourself with the scales on a carpet one day and on hard floor the next
    20 lb even for water is a lot - its got to be 16pts extra.... in 3 days ?
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    change the batteries in your scale, or get a new one... that is false, even for water weight!

Agree completely
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Okay firstly... don't starve yourself. If you have a bad meal or day or whatever, just accept it and move on. Starving will NOT make up for it! :( As you have probably learned, not eating makes your body want food even more!

And next... when did you weight yourself? You should always use the same scale and also the same time of day and conditions. You should weight yourself first thing in the morning after you used the washroom and before you eat or drink anything, also minimal clothing. And if it's that Time of Month... just skip the scale.

Weight can fluctuate like 5 lbs throughout the day for me just depending on when I weight myself. Is my stomach/bladder full? Have I just finished an intense workout? What am I wearing? Did I just shower/is my hair wet? (I have really thick/long hair). Also when it's that time of the month, I can "gain" an extra 5lbs. So in a way I could weight myself one morning in ideal conditions, then 3 days later start my period and weight myself in cloths, with a full stomach, after a workout and suddenly "gain" 10 lbs (although not really) even with healthy eating.

Point being... don't always trust the scale!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Did you fly on this trip? When I went overseas last year, I gained 20 lbs in two days. I was retaining water from the flight and change in food, constipated from flying, travelling and the food, and god knows what else the problem was.

You didnt actually do any damage, I'm sure. Just go back to eating properly, exercise and drink a lot of water. It'll be ok.

definitely agree. when I flew back from paris, my feet were almost bruised from my shoes. so much water retention during the flight.
  • ehimass
    ehimass Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just as an update I weighed in this morning at 173 lbs. So I gained 20 lbs in 3 days then lost 22 lbs over the next 6 days. I went back on my diet and exercise program, and even though I did have another binge day on Wednesday I got back to normal. The human body can be pretty resilient, I guess. I'm hoping to get down to 155 by the end of the year, then it's time to put some muscle on.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Just as an update I weighed in this morning at 173 lbs. So I gained 20 lbs in 3 days then lost 22 lbs over the next 6 days. I went back on my diet and exercise program, and even though I did have another binge day on Wednesday I got back to normal. The human body can be pretty resilient, I guess. I'm hoping to get down to 155 by the end of the year, then it's time to put some muscle on.

good job and good luck :-)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    It would be possible to weigh 20lbs heavier over a 3 days period, imho. I can gain 7lb after a splurge and I'm female and slim.

But, as others have said, it IS just water weight, not fat. You need to eat 3,500 calories OVER your TDEE to gain one pound of fat. It's just your muscles refilling with glycogen and water. It'll soon go, as soon as you get back on track.

All the best :smile:

Oh - just read the... yeah anyway, you're good!
  • LyndsieLovejoyyy
    Options
    your scale is broken