For the women over 50

Options
Let me first give y'all a hug and ask you to be kind to yourselves.

If you are here, it's likely you want to lose weight and so do I. I learned a few things that have made this process al lot less daunting:

First, I thought my goal weight should be what I weighed that last time I was pleased with my looks. That was 30 years ago! I did some research on what my goal weight should be. First I had my body fat % figured out at the gym. Then I went to a calculator (sorry I no longer have the web address) and a chart showed what range of BF% is healthy for a woman MY AGE. The amount I would have to weigh to get to that BF% was about 25 pounds greater that I thought my goal weight should be. What a relief. This now seems a lot more doable.

Second, and I know we don't want to talk about ageing, but there is at least a statistical realtionship between lower weight and higher mortality among elderly women. It may be that some elderly lose weight because of illness or being unable to care for themselved properly. Or it may be that having a little reserve of fat gets them through illnesses better. Either way this is a reason to not go to extremes with your goal weight.

Third, I found out my weight gain due to bingeing had a physical cause. It was not just because I was a defective human being with no will power. About 10 years ago I was plagued by insomnia. In the middle of the night, in despair, I would resort to eating something sweet. The next day I was craving sweets all day and usually giving in to them. In the process of gettng medical help for my insomnia, I was diagnosed with depression and was told that it is very common amoung post menopausal women. I was surprised and skeptical to say the least. Apparently, there is such a strong relationship between insomnia and depression that it is not known for sure which causes which and both are associated with sweet cravings. When I got to the root of my problem, the binges became far less compulsive and easier to apply my will power to.

So put it all in perspective. You're not broken or defective. You're closer to your goal that you thought and anyway, moderation in all things, even dieting.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I posted something about older women and BF% a while back and got little help on here. Most people, young or old, seemed unaware that the healthy BF% range changes with age for women.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the chart would say, but I know I have had no desire to be where I was in my twenties which was around 115 lbs. I will be perfectly happy somewhere between 140 and 150.
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    There is an interesting calculator on Fat2Fit Ratio
    Go to-All Calculators, then Goal Body Weight

It will give BF% by age.

According to this, I can weigh in the 140's and have a BF% of 23%.
    I don't think I could ever weigh 125 again.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information, however, I don't think that it applies to every body, woman or men over 50. I am way above 50, and I my weight fluctuates between 102lb and 103lb (on maintenance for almost 3 years), which is around 5lbs more that I weighted at my wedding. I need to add that I was never fat/obese.

I know that the ratio between my waist and hips indicate low risk of cardiovascular problems, but I don't know what my body fat or weight should be for my age, and it doesn't matter to me either. I go for how I feel and look based on my own determination, not what a chart says. And my doctor is very happy with my weight (I am very short) and the results of my tests.

I do understand that I will never look like I did 30 years ago and that my body will never have the same shape of my younger years either (darn, menopause!), but I do know that by eating healthy and exercising I will maintain my present weight.
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As my body changes from losing weight, I find that my new shape is not at all what it used to be. It's okay, because I don't want to be the same forever. Discovering the "new" me is interesting. Things that would never have looked good on me suddenly do, and styles that once were favorites no longer flatter. ...

The waist to hip ratio seems one of the best tools to help reach true health, rather than the numbers on the scale. Feeling good and being able to get through the day without hurting my joints is the biggest blessing of weight loss at this age! I'm starting to realize you can have pudgy parts without being very heavy. Taking care of my body involves more than numeric weight loss. I try to get exercise and maintain good muscle strength with weight work. Nothing feels as good as seeing my body respond and be full of energy and vitality!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    seem to have forgotten the waist to hips ratio...remind me please? Thanks.:embarassed:
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Bump for hip to waist ratio info.