Dog Food, Small Breed, Puppy

Options
CaliforniaBarbie
CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
okay so i know this isnt at all about weight loss, or people for that matter, but i need some help.
we got a miniature poodle puppy on monday, and the breeder gave us a small bag of food, and the name of the food she uses, we got some but honestly its so expensive that i have a hard time spending that.

im used to BIG dogs, i have 2 pitbulls, and they eat pedigree (literally the only thing my baby will eat, ever since he was a small pup he is not picky but refuses to eat anything but pedigree,, and only the one without shapes in it, hes weird)

anyways i was looking at food but honestly i dont know what the little one needs and doesnt and what would be the best.

if anyone has a small dog, maybe even a mini poodle could you just give me some ideas of what you use, and why? it would be so helpful. we wont need a new bag for sometime but i dont like feeling like i can only get one thing for him.

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Food is food. Get something that is high in protein.
  • xMakeupMonkeyx
    xMakeupMonkeyx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have 9 dogs including a teeny poodle. I feed them all on CSJ champ dog complete biscuit. It's like £12 for a 15kilo bag so really worth the money and has a lot more meat content than a lot of the brands found in supermarkets. I'm no expert though lol, just saying what works for us =)
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)

i think my biggest issue is im used to a picky pit and so even if what he eats isnt what others say is best for him that is all he will eat. and now our new little guy isnt really eating his food, and its the same stuff the breeder was feeding all of them since they were big enough to eat. so im just worried that he doesnt like it and im going to have to figure something else out.
    i seem to always get the pushy puppy:laugh:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The food the breeder was feeding might be expensive, but seriously, how much is a little poodle puppy going to eat? To me it's worth it to feed a good quality food to my pets, just like I try to eat a diet that is healthy for me. And if you think good quality dog food is expensive, try feeding cats a good quality food. It's waaaayyyyy more expensive per pound than dog food.
  • MaximusJake
    Options
    All dog food is not created equal. It would shock you to know what's going into most 'kibble' food out there. I would recommend looking at feeding a raw food diet or buying a higher quality natural dog food that doesn't have any additives or preservatives. The risk of cancer in dogs is increasing every year because we are feeding our 'junk' food. With quality food comes quality health. I wouldn't eat fast food every meal and expect to be healthy. The same goes for my dog.

Personally, I feed my dog homemade food with supplements like Dinovite. It isn't that much more expensive than store bought food. The only downside is the couple of hours a week/month (depending on batch size) it takes to make the food. Try it out and see if your dog likes it. You can start with the info at secretsofdogfood.net. They have a sample recipe at the bottom of the home page.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I cook my boys dinner each night

brown rice, chicken, veggies and some fish oil...plus their doggy vitamin

for kibble they snack on blue buffalo
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I use Castor and Pollux Organix grain free. Yes, it's expensive, but my Havanese only eats maybe 2/3 of a cup a day. She is worth it. No "by-products" or fillers. All meat protein, veggies and fruit.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Blue Buffalo has had several recent recalls.

I like science diet small breed puppy. With teeny dogs you need to make sure they are eating at least 4 times a day to reduce their risk of hypoglycemic episodes.