What are some good foods for constipation?? Thanks in advance! :bigsmile:

Replies

• groucherella
    Options
    spinach and anything high in fiber.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Anything with fiber, fruit, water, water, water. I also find that ground flaxseed has made me more regular.
  • justinswife
    justinswife Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try:
    apples
    whole grains
    fiber one bars and cereals
    lots of water!
    leafy veggies like lettuce
    salad dressings that include olive oil

make sure you include enough fiber,protein, and h2o in your diet.

Stay away from white and enriched flours, soda, and fruits like bananas cause constipation.
    Good luck!
  • junebug523
    Options
    Everything other people have said. And, truth be told, Activia worked for me. I did the two-week challenge, it got me on track beautifully, and I buy a 4-pack every other week or so just because I like it.

Exercise helps too. Sometimes all it takes is a brisk walk or jog after eating to get everything in motion...
  • hurleygerl
    hurleygerl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Prunes, coffee, and oatmeal seem to work for me pretty well.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ahem. Prunes.

I know they aren't a really glamorous thing to go around eating, but eat a few of those everyday, and they'll do the trick.

Of course, eat them in combination with other high fiber foods. Apples are great too! Eat a couple of them a day until you feel comfortable again, and then just eat one every other day or so. Flax seeds are good, baby spinach leaves and romaine leaves are good. Raw carrots.

If you can find any fresh aloe vera leaves sold where you are, you could dice it and drink it in fruit juice, or put it in a mixed fruit bowl. It's known to get things moving though.

If you still aren't seeing results with all that, you can try eating a really spicy meal, spicier than you would normally eat. That can get things moving along, and then try to maintain a high fiber diet so you don't run into this problem again.

But really, check out prunes. They are delicious in my opinion, and 20 calories per prune, so five of them are a 100 calorie snack.
  • 614jaimee
    Options
    I like sunsweet ones prunes. they are only 25 calories each, and they taste great.
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options

I don't know about food, but take a long car trip. My body seems to get things going again when I'm miles away from a "Rest Area."
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    The fiber one bars, fruit, and anything high in fiber really helps with constipation, but you also wanna make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
  • tinyliz
    tinyliz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, don't take laxatives. They can ruin your insides with irreversable damage. Healthy foods and fruits. If nothing is working for you, see a doctor and they will give you something to regulate you without causing damage.
  • danielle111098
    Options
    bump
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I always eat a little over my fiber goal for the day. I eat prunes, whole grains, and I drink coffee and plenty of water for the day. I am still very irregular. Must be my medicine in that case...or lots of stress....I wish there was something else I could do.
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A life-long problem for me and I have tried everything and every food (and every yoga position!). Kiwifruit seem to be the answer. I also take two heaped teaspoons of psylium husk every morning. This did not work without the kiwifruit and you need to drink lots of water with it. On the plus side the husk bulks out if you soak it (I mix it with meusli and water) and is very filling for very few calories. I was almost happy that prunes had no effect on me bcs they pack calories!

... also I would die without laxatives. If I travel, which is often, I find it impossible to go to the toilet. The psylium husk works well with laxatives because it is bulk forming so as it passes through it does clean the colon. Definitely not ideal and I use as sparingly as possible but laxatives are better than trying to deal with enemas 6 days down the track ... done on several occasions :-(
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Metamucil: is phyillium husks, but flavored. You can buy it in the chemist. Have a tbs of that each morning with water. Make sure you drink 8 glasses of water a day. get off the wheat and carbs for a few days: eat more veg and fruit ( apples, carrots, celery) veg is carbs!! so you wont go without.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Exercise, water, fruit usually works wonders.
  • jenniferyeatts
    jenniferyeatts Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink at least one glass - iced - of Yogi Kombucha tea daily. It's definately helped me!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Prunes and fiber bars. :smile:
  • bandchick
    Options
    You can go with benefiber if you want. There is also raspberries that you can take that are yummy. This site is great if you want to look for the food that you like that may have fiber. http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_High_Fiber_Foods.shtml Good luck
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    figs, and drink lots of water.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Water and fiber bars/cereals.