How to maintain diet when everyone around you isnt?

Options
I started dieting on 10/1/13 and did pretty good until 10/25/13. Thats the day that we had a company dinner and I was horrible on my calories that day. Seems like everyday since I haven't been able to get back into the groove of things. Doesn't seem like much but that's the longest I've ever actually stuck to a diet. I started at 392, got down to 376.4, and have gained back up to 382 or so since stopping. My question is how do you diet when everyone around you are eating crap? Lets be honest do you really want to eat those carrot sticks over some awesome chips? Anyways just looking for some input on ideas on how to say know. Food is my addiction, I feel peer pressure all around me lol.

Replies

• PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Look at them. JUST LOOK AT THEM. They're all heavier than they should be (except for Skinny Mabel. But she's still young, it'll catch up to her), and you're the only one who's doing something to help yourself

Seriously, I look at people who are overweight and I know they're going to have health problems due to their weight in the future, if they're not already. I don't want that. You don't either. So let them mess themselves up. You, and me, and all the other dieters are doing something to fix that problem.
  • cpinkypie
    Options
    Seems like while I still live with my parents, they don't care about eating right. Except for my dad. Kinda. Competitive swimming is helping a little, but I have a serious candy and I'm finally trying to change. For good.
  • razorback47
    Options
    I feel your pain. My family will go to the store and bring home chips, cookies or candy and leave it sitting out. Why? I ask them to please hide the stuff so I dont see it but they dont understand and I have to explain it, again and again. I just have to tell myself "no", I will not look at it much less eat it. This also applies to going somewhere like walmart or the store. I see that candy or chip aisle out of the corner of my eye but I say "no" and keep walking. I tell myself that I dont need that and if I ate it I wouldnt be happy with myself afterwards. Slowly you gain control of those temptations. Going to a company dinner or the like would be hard as well. It is right there. Maybe just consciously scan what is available and make solid decisions on what is best for you from what is available and eat nothing more. Or even better, eat something healthy and drink some water before the dinner so that when you make it to the dinner you arent hungry.
  • starrycarina
    Options
    Willpower and your inner strength - that's what it takes...at least for me anyway. I had cupcakes and Krispy Kremes offered to me last night at work. I had to shake my head and say no thank you. Ultimately, you have to think of yourself. Think of your body and how you want it to run on healthy things, not crap. It's hard, absolutely but you have to be strong.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Don't make anything 'off limits'. If you see everyone else eating chips and you really want some but deny yourself, you will just sit there the whole time thinking about them. Have a few and move on.
  • robinsondel
    Options
    I completely understand your dilemma. Your scenario is part of the same reason I have always failed when trying to diet. But now, at 400+ I say "400+" plus because I have no idea how much I weigh, the scale only goes to 400, I'm pissed off enough at myself to not give a damn what everyone around me is eating. Granted, I just started, only been at it for 2 weeks, but EVERY SINGLE DAY, I've had all kinds of candy, soft drinks and fried, fast foods shoved in front of me. Work is my biggest area of challenge in that respect. We always have a full candy bowl, I'll come in and there will be candy left on my desk, people are always ordering out and offering to share, tonight it was Popeye's chicken, which is a huge weakness for me, but I've just ignored it. I'm responsible for what I eat, not them. It doesn't matter what they eat. So far, in my short time on my journey, it's really just a mindset.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    be honest do you really want to eat those carrot sticks over some awesome chips?

to me, food falls into one (occasionally both) of 2 categories: fuel food and entertainment food. Fuel food is all the stuff I eat for energy and nutrition, I TRY to make this take up most of my calories (not always successfully though, ignore the past few weeks of my diary lol) Entertainment food is the stuff I eat strictly because it's yummy. Ice cream, chips, chocolate...I'm not saying these are bad foods, they are just the ones I need to make extra careful decisions about regarding portion size and frequency. So...just like anything else special we do for entertainment purposes, we don't have to have it all the time for it to make us happy. I love going to the movies, but I don't need to go every night. I love a good loud concert, but if I went every night I'd end up with hearing loss. Vacations are amazing, but how many of us can afford to go away several times a year? I try to think about my "entertainment foods" the same way...I love them...I wish I could have them all the time...but I'm working on a (caloric) budget and I just can't afford to have them all the time. If other people have the money (calories) to indulge in those things all the time, lucky them...and for those who decide to blow their budget and go on vacation even though they are broke...well they go into debt (the equivalent of putting on weight, in this metaphor!)

So have the chips....sometimes...when you can afford them. the rest of the time, eat to fuel your body.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    When I have an event like that, I fuel up on healthy food before the event. That way I can partake in a small way, but I'm sufficiently full so that I'm not tempted.

If I don't get a chance to do that, I enjoy a splurge meal and then immediately get back on track.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I started at 300lbs about 16 months ago. I have always had difficulty dieting before, because I would end up feeling angry and deprived. Thank goodness I found this site and learned that I do not need to cut out the foods I love. I eat ice cream everyday, but only after I have met my macro/micro and fiber targets. I eat at a sustainable calorie deficit, do a moderate amount of exercising and have started weight training. The best advice I can give you is to find a plan that you can envision yourself following for the rest of your life. For most people, this includes food like chips, ice cream and fast food sometimes. This is a great read to get you started if you haven't read it yet.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And this is a wonderful article on the same topic:

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    There's some good advice in here. For me, I plan ahead - if I know I'm going out to dinner, I check the nutrition values of all of their meals and I work with it. Or I make the healthiest choices from the food I like that's on the menu if I can't find the nutritional info.

I also wouldn't sit there suffering carrot sticks, I eat everything in moderation - it really is a budget, as someone up there ^ said. It does get easier though. The more you stick to your calorie goal the better you learn to adapt what you're eating to it. Most of the time now I don't want to overeat, or even eat food that is high in fat or carbs or salt. If I have some, I just have a bit and that's enough - I can't believe how I used to eat when I was 329lbs! At the start though, it did take a lot of will power, but you have to dig deep and find that from somewhere. It's not always easy but it is worth it. 107lbs lost so far for me :)
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've found that for myself, it's easier than i thought it would be. Especially if they know I'm eating healthy, I like to make it seem like THEY'RE the ones losing out, by not eating better. I'll sit there, politely order something I want that's better, and watch them order other stuff, wondering if in their head, they're feeling guilty about ordering junk but not sure what to do about it.

It's a lot easier than I thought it would be, but I think to each it'll be their own personal challenge.
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I budget a "cheat day" into my calories for the week. When there's a potluck or other social event, that's going to be my cheat day. I eat what I want without being ridiculous. I basically use this day, or days, to eat back my exercise calories.

If people are having chips and I want chips, then I'll have some. I'll grab a bowl and figure out how many calories are in the chips I want to eat and work them into my calories for the day.
  • needtobefit42
    Options
    I also have the same problem. No one around me worries about there weight. I have a hard time staying within my calories also. I see them eating cake and candies and pies and then I folllow. I am trying to do better and have different things for myself to grab and eat. :smile:
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    IIFYM! I would have chosen the chips over carrots.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For me--I equate all food to exercise. Example: I would have to run for 30min to eat that junk food. I'm kinda lazy so to me it works. Instead of looking at food now--I look at calories. It has helped me.
  • SouthernNights
    SouthernNights Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a battle of wilpower at times as well!!! We have drug reps catering food in our office probably 3 days a week. Although I have brought a "delicious" salad, that savory food looks pretty darn tasty!!! What I have started doing is eatting the food that I brought first, then if I am still hungry I nibble on the good stuff. I have found that I eat more good than bad, and do not hurt the reps feelings for ignoring their food!!! Good luck bud =) You have done so good!!! 20 lbs is something to be uber proud of!!!! Keep it up, and get back on the wagon!!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    For me--I equate all food to exercise. Example: I would have to run for 30min to eat that junk food. I'm kinda lazy so to me it works. Instead of looking at food now--I look at calories. It has helped me.

Very good advice!In those situations, I have my phone handy and log whatever I am going to eat into my MFP app. After logging it, and seeing it, I sometimes change my mind and take it back out because there is no way I am putting it into my mouth after seeing its actual calories, sugar, or fat content. It helps.

Oh and after a while, I stopped caring if people think I am crazy for not eating something. Its become about a healthy lifestlye not a diet and if someone doesn't like that, to bad. :)
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It is tough; no doubt about it. You just have to mentally prepare for it. I do not a problem at home since I live alone, but the temptations at work really tests my willpower. You just have to look at the big picture and try to make the best choices for yourself and noone else.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    You can't stop others from eating what they want. It's all about willpower. You have to fight through it.
  • inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You have to get to the point that you want it so bad and you are so motivated that it doesn't matter what anyone else is eating. Their choices shouldn't affect your choices, but I understand it can be much harder to resist temptation when it's staring you in the face. That's life though and you just have to decide the best way for you to get through it because this has to be a lifetime change so things like that situation will be happening all the time. For me, sometimes I can resist by reminding myself of my goal and how badly I want it. Other times, I indulge but exercise serious portion control and balance it out. Like if we go out to eat- I might get a burger or bbq chicken or something similar that I really want, but then I would only get a side salad or some steamed veggies to go with it instead of carbs or fried foods. Pick the one or two foods you really don't want to miss out on, have a small portion, and then eat healthy otherwise. If you just say "forget it I can't do this" and indulge in everything you will probably feel really guilty later and the huge amount of calories you consumed can make you feel like you fell off the wagon entirely. Whereas eating a small portion of one not so healthy item can usually be fit into your daily calories if you plan well the rest of the day, or you can workout or go for a walk later to make up for it and still finish your day strong! If losing weight and making healthy choices was easy, everyone would do it and obesity wouldn't be so common. Unfortunately it takes work and making hard choices and sticking to your goals. And just remember, we all fail or splurge at some point or another. Everyone has days they probably regret or maybe they just had a cheat day because they had been doing really well for a long time. Take those experiences and learn from them so next time you can make better choices and feel better about it at the end of the day. Many times the easiest way for me to say no to a tempting food or meal is the knowledge of how disappointed I'll be with myself later that night if I give in.