Advice to stop eating at night?

Options
My biggest problem is that I eat right all day and then become ravenous at night and overeat. I eat too much at dinner and then eat high calorie snacks late at night. If I could stop eating after dinner at night, I would start to lose weight! Every day I wake up and vow that tonight will be different and I will be careful. But once it gets dark I turn into a different person who doesn't care, and I overeat late at night again. Does anyone have advice to help me stop this cycle? :embarassed:

Replies

• trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I can't see what you're eating during the day, but perhaps if you ate foods higher in protein, especially at dinner, it would keep you full until you went to bed. If I get hungry at night, I'll either have a piece of fruit, or some popcorn, and I keep that water bottle handy!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    sometimes hunger is confused with thirst!! Late at night when you want to snack, try drinking a couple glasses of water. Or, if that isn't a distraction enough. When you feel like "snacking" exercise!! Do something productive to get your mind off the eating. It really just has to become a habit of NOT eating at night. I used to do the same thing. I'd eat if i was bored, tired, or just out of habit. If NOTHING like this kicks the problem, go to sleep :) can't snack while sleeping!
  • verykristin
    Options
    I have the same problem. Would love advice, too.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk after dinner instead of just sitting around the house and every time you go for a snack try to get a glass of water instead. You're probably eating because you're bored, not hungry, so find something to keep you occupied. Also, make sure you're eating foods that are going to keep you full for longer. And my number one way to stop from late night snacking is to just not have anything to snack on in the house! I could have definitely slaughtered some oreos tonight... good thing I didn't buy them!
  • CHANGES4ME
    CHANGES4ME Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i work 2 - 10 pm, & when i get home, i cant jus lay me down & sleep. i never get 2 bed b 4 12 am - 2 am. if u get hungry this late at nite, drink an 8 oz glass of milk slowly ( it gives u a false fill ) or put a little slim fast in it & drink, still, slowly... pig out on fresh fruit, or how bout fresh veggies, with jus a little peanut butter, or low calorie dressing... gl 2 u.pammy
  • brockly25
    brockly25 Posts: 150
    Options
    my thoughs is if that all fails just goto bed .... wake up early and eat big breakfast and workout befor going to work :)

sorry i know its not the answer you want ,,, but it works ....
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    Busy yourself with activities, such as cleaning the house or even take a walk after dinner. It's definitely a myth that eating late at night is bad- it's more about WHAT you eat. If you're staying within your daily calorie range, late night snacking should not affect your weight loss goals...I love Jell-O, it's tasty and it's only 10 calories! Just think, you could eat 6 for only 60 calories! Or fill up on fruit! If it's in the house, then you're going to EAT it, plain and simple. So get rid of the snacky foods and fill your kitchen with healthy options so you will go right to those when you are in the mood to snack.
  • scottbhf
    Options
    Try this, works for me- the next time you have a late night urge, try putting it off for 10 minutes. Stop, and tell yourself that you'll have something in 10 minutes. If you still feel like eating, have something. Try putting it off every time. If you deny-deny-deny, you'll subconsciously feel deprived and you'll binge. 10 minutes. You can wait 10 minutes, right?
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Think we're all in the same boat!
    I work 1200-2200hrs.......
    I do great eating when I'm at work all day.
    Come home and all I want to do is head for
    the kitchen........not because I'm hungry, just
    because!
    So, I did some soul searching this week.
    If I'm doing well at work, planning my food
    and bringing it. I'm going to preplan my
    late nite snacks and package them.
    Froze some bananas, chopped up some
    almonds, have fat free chocolate syrup.
    MMMMMMMMMM.........
    Today I sliced up some apples and baked
    them with some cinammon.......apple pie
    without the crust! All pre-packaged in
    individual portions now!
    I also realized that by "cheating"..who am
    I really hurting??? Only myself.
    I don't like the word "diet" ...it's a 4 letter
    word that starts with the word "die".
    I'm making that psychological transition
    to healthy lifestyle and lifetime changes!
    Best of Luck :flowerforyou:
  • toberlili
    Options
    i hadf a problem with that and found that if i was able to go a week resisting the urge that naturally it subsided. for me i was having withdrawls from all the bad food because i was strickly eating healthy during the day, i take a meal replacement thatcurbs cravings now, but thats what it was for me, let me know how it goes :)
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    Options
    Eating late at night was a problem for me also. I found that if I get a glass of ice water that by time I have finished drinking the water and eating the ice that I am no longer hungry. I do the same during the day. Maybe this idea will help.
  • melissabledsoe
    melissabledsoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. This week I've been saving up a good portion of my calories for night, and I'm finding once I have them, I'm not eating as much of them. I think if you know you eat at night, don't use up all your calories by 6. I have been doing the glass of water and waiting 10 minutes thing, too. Also, if you eat a small snack and it just makes you want more, wait 20 minutes until your stomach recognizes you've eaten before going for more.
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to have something sweet after dinner also, so we keep sugar free ice cream sandwiches(110 calories), skinny cow ice cream cups and sandwiches (130-150 calories) on hand. I adjust my food during the day to allow for this at night. Another tip is to schedule a snack between breakfast and lunch, another after lunch and again after dinner. If scheduled right, you will feel like you're eating more than you use to when all you are really doing is eating more often. Just have the right kinds of foods around to snack on and plan your day accordingly. You can do it, just takes a little planning. You've done the most important thing and that is to use these forums to ask for help. There is always someone out there that is or has struggled with the same issue.
  • cindymccauley
    Options
    One trick I have used is to brush & floss right after dinner. That's a signal to your body that you are done eating for the day.
  • boughty32
    Options
    instead of eating try drinking a big glass of water ( or low calorie and low sodium drink) until you feel full, or if you have a few calories left eat a high protein snack. peanutbutter and wheat toast with a small glass of 1/2 % or skim milk
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Whatever you're reaching for, tell yourself you can have it if you eat a salad first. Make yourself a HUGE salad FULL of lettuce, veggies and toss it in 2tbs of your fave dressing. I only 'count' the dressing on my salads, so this filling snack will only cost you between 80-120 calories (depending on the dressing you chose).

If you think "I don't want a salad", then you also don't want whatever you were reaching for. If you're truly hungry, the salad will satisfy you. If you're not, it will fill you up and be a better choice than the alternatives.

GOOD LUCK!

Charmagne
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    When I get hungry at night, I reach for an apple this time of year. One apple is 130 calories. If I want it warm, I cut out the center, sprinkle with cinnamon and microwave. In past, used sugar, but stopped. The cinnamon gives the hot apple enough flavor.
  • shannon1080
    Options
    I had the same problem with eating at night. Here's some ideas that have worked for me:

Go for a walk - my dog loves this option
    Brush your teeth
    Paint your nails - keeps you busy and then you don't want to mess them up in a stupid chip bag!
    Surf MFP.
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    This is a big stumbling block for me, too -- everyone else in the house is enjoying ice cream and tortilla chips with cheese sauce and I feel grumpy about it! I got some really fancy caffeine free teas to enjoy at night and I'm just trying to deal with the hunger and food jealousy by thinking about the fact that I am finally trying to take good care of myself.