Off diet for months and I'm the exact same weight

Options
So for the past few months I've barely exercised, predominately due to physical problems and depression knocking the willpower out of me, and I've eaten pretty much whatever, straying away from my usual 'diet' food and allowing myself just about anything. I didn't overdo it too often but I let myself eat take-aways and sometimes binge on snacks, but most of the time I just ate normal meals and treated myself when I felt like it. I figured I'd weigh myself to see what the damage was and I'm the same weight to the decimal - 155.6 lbs.

This is unbelievably encouraging to me because I'm a recovering bulimic, and I've just proven to myself that I can eat like any other normal person not on a diet and not gain a ton of weight. Does this mean I've got maintenance down?

So guys, what are your experience with intuitive eating? I think I've lucked out, can't believe I haven't even gained half a pound!

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Sounds like you've got maintenance sorted, well done! I wish I could do the same :laugh:
    I think intuitive eating is possible in an individual who doesn't have any issues with food and has a fair understanding of what they are eating.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got maintenance sorted, well done! I wish I could do the same :laugh:
    I think intuitive eating is possible in an individual who doesn't have any issues with food and has a fair understanding of what they are eating.

Well issues I have plenty of, I still struggle with relapsing and such, but I do understand food due to an obsession with nutrition as part of my ED. I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually, if someone as messed up about food as me can do it, you can!
  • jen4relient22
    Options
    good for you! i'm really hoping to get to that point myself. i've also had disordered eating in the past and MFP has triggered that for me recently. :/ hoping to get off of it soon. your post is really inspiring! :)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I am really happy for you, OP!

Maintenance for me has been a little bit trial and error, but not too difficult.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    yeah, I havent weighed myself in 2 weeks till today, and yep, exact same weight!
    I dont calorie count, i eat candy, cookies and even chocolate ice cream, but i do control portion size and run 5k every morning just for fun
    :smile:
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm really thrilled for you... what a brilliant result. You must be over the moon! Very well done. I've only been on maintenance for a month and don't trust myself not to weigh daily and log everything yet.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Today, checking my weight from one year ago, I am at the EXACT weight I was then. After Hurricane Sandy I went up about 8 lbs because I was eating out all the time but basically I can say that I have been maintaining around the same weight for about 2 years, give or take a lb. or two up now and then.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you don't have the stress of gaining! But I'm concerned that you said you're not exercising due to depression... it's one of the best things you can do for your mood and energy levels. Can you commit to a fitness buddy or yoga or dance class, something that you have to show up for? If you're really so depressed you aren't working out, you might want to check w a doctor or counselor. There are so many reasons you need to be active, not just for maintaining your weight. If you have injuries, you may be able to walk or swim, something to keep those happy brain chemicals flowing....

Good luck to you on your journey to balance and wellness!
  • Shateyn
    Options
    I'm glad you don't have the stress of gaining! But I'm concerned that you said you're not exercising due to depression... it's one of the best things you can do for your mood and energy levels. Can you commit to a fitness buddy or yoga or dance class, something that you have to show up for? If you're really so depressed you aren't working out, you might want to check w a doctor or counselor. There are so many reasons you need to be active, not just for maintaining your weight. If you have injuries, you may be able to walk or swim, something to keep those happy brain chemicals flowing....

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you used to exercise to lose weight if you were struggling with your ED but perhaps now since you are feeling more confident with maintenance and intuitive eating you could start exercising again simply with the intent to move your body and feel good. :)
  • Wingg
    Wingg Posts: 22
    Options
    Congrats on being able to maintain your weight! I'm struggle with that now and feeling kind of stressed...
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i hope it goes the same way for everyone!! because that is quite a good news.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly that exercise is amazing for keeping mood elevated.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats! This is a big accomplishment in my eyes because this is what I want to accomplish after I reach my gw.

It sounds to me that you really have learned intuitive eating. :) As someone who has struggled with ED in the past, I understand what an accomplishment this is. :)
  • LadyZephyr
    Options
    good for you! i'm really hoping to get to that point myself. i've also had disordered eating in the past and MFP has triggered that for me recently. :/ hoping to get off of it soon. your post is really inspiring! :)

I'm glad it inspired you! Thank you (:
  • LadyZephyr
    Options

Yes, I see doctors and such, I'm diagnosed with a few illnesses. I also have painful physical conditions, including hypermobility which is causing a lot of pain and difficultly with my hips right now, and I'm not allowed to put stress on my joints when they're bad or risk dislocating them. Once they're better, I'm planning on getting back into a regimen.
  • LadyZephyr
    Options
    Also thank you everyone for your supportive messages (:
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You go girl
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You go girl