Introduction and looking for age 65+ female pals

Options
I am a 66 year old female who now weighs 165.8 pounds. I just joined Fitness Pal online today. However I have been using the Fitness Pal app on my phone for 31 days now. When I began 31 days ago, the ap suggested based on my weight, height, activity level and age that to lose 1 pound a week, I should be on a 1200 cal diet. It predicted that in 5 weeks I would have lost around 4 pounds.

I have stuck with the diet exactly. When I exercise, I add those calories burned to my diet. Now, 4 weeks into the plan I have gained .5 pound!

I just had my thyroid tested and it is normal. I also saw a nutritionist. He says it is hard to lose weight when you are 66 years old.

I think part of the problem is that eating the 1200 calories a day is not much less than I have normally been eating for the past few years, which has been necessary just to keep from gaining weight.

I am coming to the conclusion that 1200 cal a day is maintenance for me at the weight I am now.

I will keep going on this plan, but to have gained 1/2 pound after one month on the plan is discouraging!

Are there any other 65+ year old females out there struggling with this phenomenon?

I would love some friends in my age group to lose with.

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back more than half of my exercise calories usually. I am set at 1200 calories and I am 61. I have lost 20 pounds but it has taken a long time to lose them. Also consider salt or alcohol intake and make adjustments.Good luck!
  • sgs50
    sgs50 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm "only" 52 so I hope you don't mind the reply. After cancer treatment, I think my body aged 15 years which makes us almost the same age. I wonder if the formulas in MFP take age into account. I know my metabolism has changed as I've gotten older so even though logging exercise ups the calories I'm allowed to eat, I try to ignore the increase, as often as possible. I'm also committed to not eating anything after 7 pm cause I'm sure my metabolism gets even slower in the evenings. I feel your frustration and I admire you for your determination to stick with the program. Plus anyone who has "guitar" in their user name has got to be pretty cool. Good Luck.
  • guitarjan
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose the 20 pounds?

I have been faithful to my 1200 calories for 1 month and have gained 1/2 pound!

I do not drink alcohol at all. If I did it would have to be counted in those 1200 calories.
  • guitarjan
    Options
    Oops!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Okay 1200 is your base line.....Workout maybe an hour a day...Eat half of those cals back...... I'm doing this and I am slowly losing pounds...I am 71....
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    I am 64. You can see from my ticker that I have lost 54 lbs.

My base line is 1240. I always eat 1700 because I exercise off 450 ish calories a day. The important thing is to be accurate in your eating. You will lose weight on a base line of 1200, but you must make sure you are not inadvertantly eating more. Sometimes when people start a new, effortful exercise regime they can retain some water weight in the muscles, but I doubt you are heavy lifting. I am now a healthy weight and very close to goal so my weight loss has dlowed to 1 lb a month, but I am still losing.
    Be absolutely rigorous with every morsel that passes your lips. Exercise and eat it back. You don't want to get hungry and blow it all by cheating. I do best when I eat a LOT! And when I really enjoy it. Don't forget to enjoy it. I include alcohol daily.
    :flowerforyou:
    I am now enjoying a better body than when I was 40.

Good luck. Don't let that age myth put you off!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • GardenGirl0000
    Options
    I've just started today. I am rolling up to 62 years old and have gradually added the weight with age and inactivity. I am looking forward to getting it off!!! I started weight watchers last year and have lost about 25 pounds but life is just too busy to get to those meetings and I am more comfortable with counting calories. I have found that weight loss for me is VERY slow even if I religiously stick to the program. Also, I became ill over the las year and have not bee very active so I am looking forward to becoming more active as my health improves. I am looking for weight loss buddies over 60.