Lactose and gluton free

Options
I cannot have lactose or gluton. I manage pretty well most of the time even though some things are expensive. I love yoghurt and the soy one from Independent seems to have an after taste. Any others that taste good? Also any other lactose or gluton free products that you have tried and can recommend.

Replies

• jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It really sucks having to be lactose and gluten free, I find avoiding lactose harder so I take Lactaid whenever I give in to cheese. Does Lactaid help you?

I do enjoy almond milk and coconut milk. Try dark chocolate almond milk, absolute yum, hot and cold!! I have had chocolate almond ice cream which is very good.

There is coconut yogurt, not as yummy as regular but I know they're coming out with a greek coconut yogurt that's supposed to be pretty good.

If you're missing having sandwiches, try UDI's bread, in the freezer dept. Expensive, like everything else but so good. Some turkey, avocado and you have a delicious sandwich.

I have learned to have all meats without bread. It's very enjoyable eating a burger with bacon and no bread. I don't miss it. The only thing I miss is pizza so I eat it. :happy: I'm not Celiac, just have an intolerant to gluten and dairy so I just prepare myself when I cheat.

Good luck. Google will give you great ideas!
  • julieannezen
    julieannezen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant although I do indulge sometimes although I pay for it. I have also started going gluten-free recently due to my fibromyalgia. My diet mainly includes high protein (meats, nuts, beans, vegetables).
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant... Never been tested for celiac. I find that I'm a little bothered by lactose sometimes too. Does anyone else get mad? Lol I was pissed last night because I felt like I couldn't eat anything when we went out. As for pizza.... Romios and another restaurant close to where I live has gluten free pizza... What a life saver when you're craving! Or go to health food store and buy frozen crust and make your own.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The Toxic Truth about Gluten-free foods
    http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/04/the-toxic-truth-about-gluten-free-food-and-celiac-disease/

I am gluten intolerant and while I do have some Udi's bread now and then, I usually avoid processed foods that are gluten free. I'd rather just eat healthy foods that are naturally gluten-free. Hubby is lactose intolerant and he just avoids dairy. He does eat goat and sheep cheeses and kefir, which are more expensive, of course. You may tolerate Greek yogurt, especially in small quantities, because it's strained and has less lactose.

I use almond milk. LOVE it!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Man if I was glutton free I wouldnt' even hafta diet.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Get on pinterest. There are endless postings about both these topics including recipes.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I cannot have lactose or gluton. I manage pretty well most of the time even though some things are expensive. I love yoghurt and the soy one from Independent seems to have an after taste. Any others that taste good? Also any other lactose or gluton free products that you have tried and can recommend.

I am lactose intolerant and soy intolerant, therefore my choices are sometimes limited. The only yogurt I can is Dannon, both regular and Greek. Anything else makes my stomach hurt. I can't have anything with soy.

I drink Lactaid (lactose free milk) and there are some lactose free cheeses out there. I don't like cheese so I can't tell you specifically what there is.

Have you been diagnosed with gluten intolerance? Please make sure you have not diagnosed yourself.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm both a coeliac and dairy free among other things. Lots of the gluten free food is also lactose free. I know ibn the uk there are a great range of diary free yogurts and puddings now in the chiller section.

I cant eat most of them because I also cant have soya but my son loves them.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm both a coeliac and dairy free among other things. Lots of the gluten free food is also lactose free. I know ibn the uk there are a great range of diary free yogurts and puddings now in the chiller section.

If you can't eat soy either, there really are lots of great dairy free soy free products out there. Have you tried So Delicious Coconut Milk Frozen Dairy Desert? I generally get no sugar added (no processed sugar but sweetened with fruit juice) which is really delicious.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi

If you can't eat soy either, there really are lots of great dairy free soy free products out there. Have you tried So Delicious Coconut Milk Frozen Dairy Desert? I generally get no sugar added (no processed sugar but sweetened with fruit juice) which is really delicious.

Unfortunately I'm in the UK but the range of gluten free diary free and soya free deserts are getting better. When I was in Scotland I found a coconut ice cream and our Tesco sometimes stock it. Trouble is I'm also allergic to sunflowers and if they dont use soya lecitn they tend to use sunflower lectin in stuff.
  • heatherdonovan3
    heatherdonovan3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been lactose free for several years now and have recently discovered that I also need to be gluten free. I found out that Yoplait has a lactose free yogurt. It tastes just like their regular yogurt. It can be a bit tricky to find depending on where you live but you can go on Yoplait's website and do a search for stores near you that carry it. Although I'm sure it's higher in sugar that what I should be looking for in yogurt, it tastes really good. I buy the vanilla one and add cocoa powder to it to make a chocolate flavor that tastes like chocolate pudding (something else that can be a challenge to get my hands on). Hope this helps.
  • NikSpears
    Options
    Hello,

In my early twenties I developed a severe reaction to lactose, my doctor said it had to do with aging (ugh). Anyways Lactaid does help tremendously but you have to be careful and may sure take the recommended amount. I notice that some boxes say take one, while others say take two. But I generally try to stay away from dairy which is so hard because all diets and healthy eating always mention yogurt, cottage and other cheeses.