is low carb best for losing weight or doesn't it matter?

Options
loxleys
loxleys Posts: 230 Member
I've been logging onto mfp for 2 weeks now and want to know if its best to do low carb all the time or just on low exercise days?

I've been reducing my portions but keeping the same variety of food as before (i eat alot of bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and not much meat)

If i increase protein and reduce carbs will that increase my weight loss?

Replies

• mikeyboy909
    Options
    to an extent but you need the carbs for energy, if you cut them out you would be constantly exhausted and wont be able to do any running. slowly cut them down and see how it goes, I currently have about 150g of carbs a day and still have tons of energy :)
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    It may just well work for you :) Whilst I've never tried low carb myself, it is well documented that going low carb can help a little with weight loss as protein is more filling and leaves you fuller for longer and lowering the ammount and types of carbs (only complex carbs from unprocessed grains etc) can help curb the sugar rush/insulin surge cycle that can bring on hunger cravings

I'm sure there are probably other reasons but from what I gather these are the biggies.

Still, whilst you feel fuller for longer and don't have the sugar/insulin thin causing more hunger pangs, you may find yourself craving carbs from limiting yourself, also carbs are your body's favoured and most efficient source of fuel so you may feel drained, however I've known people wh say they feel even more energised so I guess it really does depend on the kinds of carbs you still allow yourself to put in your body at the end of the day - slow digesting, gradual energy releasing whole grains as opposed to fast burning simple, refined sugars.

To loose weight you simply need to create a caloric deficit. Some people find it easier to create this deficit through limiting their carb intake and increasing protein to make up for the hunger. In fact many people have shown it does in deed work. A caloric deficit may be created by simply limiting all your food groups however...just bare in mind that there was a low fat craze not so long ago, now it's low carb and in the future we may well have a low protein craze (though I doubt it since it's essential in building muscles but hey, you know how these ideas crop up!) so it's all swings and roundabouts really.

Personally I favour just watching my calories wherever they come from...if I loose weight slower than someone on low carb then boo hoo for me really, but I don't mind how long it takes as long as I get there.

Basically what I'm trying to say is...yeah, it does work, it can help, but it takes as much will power to limit carbs as it does to limit any thing else to loose weight so it's worth a try if you think it might work for you, at the end of the day finding what works for you is the important thing :)
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Carbs are a threat for sure, but in general you want to make sure you're getting complex low GI carbohydrates in favor of simple, sugary high GI carbohydrates. That's the more important thing regarding carbs. It's basically whole wheat bread vs. wonderbread. Always choose the whole grains and unprocessed food whenever possible.

I do carb cycling, so I go most of the week low carb and high protein, but load up on carbs at the end of the week. The reason I do this is that extended low-carb diets can trigger a starvation response, and your body can go into a state of famine and slow your metabolism.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Even though low carb works, it shouldn't be carried out for an extended period of time because of what was discussed above. If you do low carb for a long time, you can actually hurt your kidneys...

That being said, I personally believe that the best way to lose weight is to eat at a ratio of macronutrients that you can personally eat comfortably later in life when you are done losing weight. That way, when you maintain, you don't have to worry about changing what you eat, just the amount you eat. You will also find that you are not craving as much since you are not depriving yourself of anything.

I personally enjoy about 50-55% carbs, 30-35% protein, and 15-20% fat. It works for me both when I am losing weight and when I am trying to maintain because all I have to do is adjust the amount of calories.

I have also done the calorie and carb cycling discussed above, and I believe it works well. I do think that for someone new to nutrition in general, it is best to learn to stick with a certain ratio first before they attempt to change it up like that cause it can be frustrating to not do it correctly (take that from my experience, lol).

Good luck!
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it might be worth upping your protein a bit and reducing the carbs. I find that if I try to cut carbs too much, I get incredibly tired and lethargic and am more likely to reach for the fatty food! Good luck.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Going on the lines of what lyadeia said, don't make too many changes you can't live with in your lifestyle. If you are a big bread, pasta, and potato eater, than just learn how to make smarter choices and watch your portion sizes. Try whole grain bread and pasta and limit the fat you use in your potato recipes. Watch toppings on all three of those as well.

Your body needs carbs. Just learn how to stay in your recommended guidelines with them.

L
  • loxleys
    Options
    thank you all for your advice, think i'm going to try reduce carbs as i have them with every meal and up my protein so i can build some much needed muscle.

I'm going to try and do some basic strength exercises daily too to complement the running

thanks again.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    you just need to eat a ballanced diet, its best to have a bit of everything, it sound like your doing fine, and if your loosing weight, hey dont rock the boat. once you have reached your goal weight you dont want to have to change your eating habbits.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is making sure you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day -- translated to staying under your calorie range and getting in a bit of exercise on most days since we are not perfect. They say food intake is 80 to 90 percent of it. I believe this is very true since I know for me I do not lose weight unless I am under my calories daily. If I exercise and overeat too much I do not lose. Exercise is good for us but in losing weight the calories carry more weight if you know what I mean. I exercise most days and that only helps me when I am eating right.

BTW - I do 30 percent protien or 100 g of protien which is higher than average and so far it works well for me.
  • sziemba1
    Options
    If you seriously want to take those pounds off fast you need to keep those carbs under control. I recently lost 60 pounds and I did it in 4 months. I reduced my carb intake to around 115 carbs per day. Hard to do unless you like lots of vegetables -- the less starchy kind. I gave up flour products, rice, potatoes, and sugar for that 4 month period. The results are terrific. I have a doctor friend who is also a body builder. He told me early on in my diet that watching and controlling the carbs was the way to lose the pounds. H was right.
  • carpediet
    Options
    Carbs are good in moderation. Especially if you run. I agree with the post above (Andy 13) balance diet but have fun from time to time.
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    you may lose weight faster doing low car, but like everyone else has said, you don't need to do a diet, you need to make changes that you can live with the rest of your life. Just remember, slow and steady wins the race!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    to an extent but you need the carbs for energy, if you cut them out you would be constantly exhausted and wont be able to do any running. slowly cut them down and see how it goes, I currently have about 150g of carbs a day and still have tons of energy :)

Not true and very misinforming. I have been living Low net carbs for 60 days and I've never had more energy in my life!!!! I've cut out processed foods, such as breads and pastas and am living clean on meat, fruits, veggies, nuts, berries, cheeses and things like that. I honestly never felt this great!! Even when I was 130 and 17 years old!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've been logging onto mfp for 2 weeks now and want to know if its best to do low carb all the time or just on low exercise days?

I've been reducing my portions but keeping the same variety of food as before (i eat alot of bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and not much meat)

If i increase protein and reduce carbs will that increase my weight loss?

Do not reduce your carbs by big amounts if you intend to exercise (inparticular if you intend to exercise heavily). If you do, you could find yourself getting injured and out of action for a while.

Take in less calories than you use up and your weight will fall off.
  • ColetteDuchnowski
    Options
    It all depends on how your body processes the carbs. For me, I have to have very low carbs...I keep them to about 50-60 a day. Anymore than that- I gain wait. I am insulin resistant and I don't process carbs like others do. I have to be very careful. I have cut out all breads, potatoes, pastas, sugars, processed foods, and rice. I feel better than I have in years!!!
  • lizziamber
    Options
    I would say a reduction in carbs in great, along with lowering your calories. I tried Atkins and it was a nightmare - carbs went down, but calories went up.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I think it really depends on what works for you.

I find if I keep my calories down and my sodium down, that's most effective for me.

My carbs and sugar are higher than fat and protein, but a lot of that is from fresh fruit.
  • loxleys
    Options
    i've tried to increase protein and reduce carbs for the last few days but its really hard and i feel tired all the time. I think my body needs carbs.

I think that I will try and stick to the correct calories for each day and see how that works out. Losing is losing after all no matter how its done.

thanks for the tips people.
    x
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It. Does. Not. Matter.

Calories in vs Calories out.

Yes, you can eat more filling calories by eating fats and proteins, but it doesn't effect you whatsoever to eat carbs. Just choose the right ones and watch the portions.