Loose Skin

Options
I'm nowhere near being a success story. I'm 5'6. I started at 230lbs. Today I weighed 197. My goal is 175, but really it would be azing to get to 155. That would put me at about 75lbs loss. For those of you that have lost significant amounts of weight--do you have a lot of loose skin? Have you had it removed? What is the cost of something like that? Can it be avoided?

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've lost 95 lbs so far, and I think that there will be some "loose skin" but I think it can be avoided a little bit or atleasty managed with strngth training. So a good mix of HIIT and weight lifting could reduce the appearance of flappy skin.
  • meganuhl1
    meganuhl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 110lbs so far and as of yet I'm not having any issues other than my upper arms. I have about another 100lbs to go til my goal weight
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'6", SW 224, CW 171, GW 150 (this has been revised a few times along the way). I do have loose skin around my middle, but I am 51 YO, and overweight or obese for 25 years so I think it is to be expected. I have been doing strength training since I started my weight loss journey 2 1/2 years ago, and that has kept most everything else looking pretty good (other than normal gravity issues that ladies of a certain age have LOL). I would advise not worrying about it - what will be will be - but strength/resistance training is probably your best bet.

BTW - you ARE a success story - congratulations on your loss so far! Don't discount the mini-goals along the way.
  • cheryld53
    cheryld53 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight lose! I am also working towards a goal of 155 from a starting weight of 235. I have loose skin on my thighs and stomach. I have noticed a slight improvement since I started strength training. I have not been consistent with the strength training but feel it is the best way to combat the problem. The sagging boobs are another issue!!! At the age of 55, what's a woman to do?
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 30, and was "grossly overweight" for most of my life. I've lost about 75 pounds, now (in about 18 months), and my skin is just hanging off of me. I pull it around and "play with it," which my boyfriend tells me looks like I'm being mean to myself; which may be true. I just want it to catch up with my body so I can feel better about myself, so I can be proud of all my hard work, instead of ashamed. I think I'm more self-conscious about my naked body NOW than I was before I lost the weight. I've done a lot of research on the matter, and the basic consensus is that strength training helps, but depending on the length of time your skin was stretched out, it could take up to two years for it to catch up to your weight loss. I tried to lose weight as healthily as possible (about 10lbs per month). I've heard those "it works!" things are only a temporary fix, so I don't want to risk the money for possibly MORE heartache. if it hasn't caught up by the time I'm done, I guess I'll have to save up to have my skin cut down to fit my body. :\
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I love cardio, but not so much strength training. What I'm reading is that I need to incorporate strength training to help with the loose skin. Gosh--why couldn't I have a fast metabolism and a hatred for donuts. Lol
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 160 lbs and didn't notice the loose skin thing until I lost about half of it. I think I lost it to fast (10 months) so that is one thing. Not doing any strength training during the process was another. I think 25 years of weighing over 300 lbs. was another. I know for certain that I received some poor advice. I was told to just lose it then do the strength training. The muscle damage from that advice is ongoing to this day. Do your cardio and some strength training too.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There is a poster here (wish I could remember who) that was obese, and is now competing in figure competitions (no loose skin to be seen anywhere). The 'loose skin' may be the last to go (it seems that a stubborn layer of fat hangs on to it until the bitter end) but it will go. For example, pinch the skin on the back of your hand. That is how thick your skin really is. Anything else that you can pinch on your body that is thicker than that is the fat layer under the skin (for reference).
  • 302cupcake
    Options
    I'd rather have loose skin covered by small clothing than stretched skin and huge clothing. Even at my age (52) my skin is not too bad, it seems to get better as I maintain this weight.
  • Andibenni
    Andibenni Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I can't speak from personal experience as I don't think I've lost enough for loose skin to be an issue yet however I do have a couple of friends at the gym who've lost over 100lbs each. The lady who has done kettle bell classes and lifts heavy weight hasn't had any issues with loose skin, while the other lady who does mainly cardio has loose skin around her chest and stomach that she's waiting for surgery to remove. Needless to say while I'm trying to lose weight I 'm trying to incorporate some weights and strength training in my exercise so I'm building muscle mass underneath the fat and hopefully preventing or at least reducing the problem when I get to my goal.
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well, I already have loose skin, and I haven't even lost the weight yet (I've lost 14, but have about 90 pounds to go). So, I'm not very optimistic for me. I think heredity and age have a lot to do with it, too. Certainly, the younger you are, the better your chances of having your skin shrink back to normal (or close to it).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I can't speak from personal experience as I don't think I've lost enough for loose skin to be an issue yet however I do have a couple of friends at the gym who've lost over 100lbs each. The lady who has done kettle bell classes and lifts heavy weight hasn't had any issues with loose skin, while the other lady who does mainly cardio has loose skin around her chest and stomach that she's waiting for surgery to remove. Needless to say while I'm trying to lose weight I 'm trying to incorporate some weights and strength training in my exercise so I'm building muscle mass underneath the fat and hopefully preventing or at least reducing the problem when I get to my goal.

Your friend who lifts weights, most likely has much less body fat than your friend who does mainly cardio. And herein lies the difference.
  • MADIABEL
    MADIABEL Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The cost to have the loose skin removed is crazy. I have a friend having it done on her legs and belly it is costing her just about 10,000 dollars.
  • Andibenni
    Andibenni Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The cost to have the loose skin removed is crazy. I have a friend having it done on her legs and belly it is costing her just about 10,000 dollars.

In the UK you can have it done on the NHS so financial cost is nothing to the individual however my friend has to maintain her weight loss for 18 months before the op can be undertaken and I believe this is the same for all of our health trust authorities. You need to prove that you've made that permanent lifestyle change.
  • MADIABEL
    MADIABEL Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow that would be nice but in usa we have to for it out of pocket insurance doesn, t cover it. She has be ale to keep the weight off for almost 4 years now.
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Insurance companies in the US *DO* cover it. Each has their own guildlines for qualification.

There is no magic answer. It's mostly genetics. Look at your older relatives. If they all look relatively younger than their peers chances are you will be better off. Elasticity is genetic. Your age and weight will have some part in it. Lifting weights just fills up a bit more of the now empty skin. It doesn't actually improve your skins elasticity at all.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    For a small amount of loose skin Nivea Skin Firming lotion works wonders. I used it after my c-section and it really helped. I've started using it again as I lose weight to hopefully ward off the loose skin. I also plan to start strength training when it gets too cold here to walk. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!