sugars in fruit

Options
hi all im new to this site and have found it very usefull over the past week. im trying to cut dowm my fat and sugar intake but am concerned about the amount of sugar in fruit. i seem to be going over my daily sugar allowances but theses are coming from fruits that im snacking on. should i not worry too much about this as its not refined sugar or do i also need to cut down on my fruit intake. any help i would be gratefull for thanks.

Replies

• Kyog
    Kyog Posts: 32
    Options
    Wondering about this myself! Don't eat sweets, not interested in them, but seems a shame when it's fruit!
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would not be concerned about the sugar from fruit, it is natural sugar. I think the big concern is the sugar that is in a lot of other foods that are not healthy for you. Hope this helps, good luck with your weight loss!
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i also would like to know more abt it because one of my friend suggested me to consume fruits as per my wish/desire because sugar in fruits is fructose and fructose is not a bad sugar but due to some medicinal issues, i am also trying to avoid sugar as much as possible so doesn;t know sugar from fruits is good or not :(
  • twenty20tunnelvision
    Options
    It's absolutely terrible for you. Don't eat fruit, no mater what you do.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an actual medical condition ignore the sugar target. It's bullcrap.

Esp ignore it from fruit.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Stop tracking sugar.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an actual medical condition ignore the sugar target. It's bullcrap.

+1
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options

+1

+2
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I go over on my sugar also, but it comes from fresh fruit.
    Diabetes runs in my family, so I get tested every year. My fasting glucose has always been within normal range, but weight loss has made a huge difference. Regardless of how much sugar I've consumed or where it comes from, losing weight has dropped my fasting glucose reading by 20 points, from the 90s to the 70s.

That said, I did not measure my sugar intake before I got onto MFP, but I know a lot of it came from ice cream and candy. A quick check of the nutrition facts for Ben & Jerry's shows that on average I consumed more sugar from ice cream alone back then, that I consume eating fruit now.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You should adjust the generic MFP settings anyway. Macro balance is not a one-size-fits-all proposition, and for many people, MFP has you eating very little protein compared to carbs and fats. Regarding sugar, there is nothing wrong with it and no reason to track it unless you have a medical condition that requires this. You might want to track your fiber intake though.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as it's in moderation you should be fine. People have lived off fruits for forever and I don't know about you , but I've never heard of an overweight cave(wo)man :-) I recently read a quote that seems fitting here: "None of us are here because we over-ate on fruits and veggies" Don't sweat it :-)
  • chunkyboy79
    chunkyboy79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks for the answers. at least now i wont feel guilty snacking on apples and grapes.
  • MaDDameLeota
    Options
    Sugar is complicated in a way. There are monosaccharides and disaccharides. Monosaccharides are a single molecule of glucose, galactose or lactose. These can be found singularly or bound together as diasaccharides.. Sucrose is the combination glucose and fructose. These can be found in many forms and some are more digestible than others. Fructose and sucrose are found in fruits.

Artificial sweeteners like splenda are no calorie because they cannot be broken down by your body. So you get the sweet taste without the additional calories.

Although fruit is high in sugar, it does have other benefits that other sweets just don't have, vitamins and minerals etc. So, yes reaching for an apple is better than reaching for an apple tart, but you still have to be conscious that sugar is sugar. "Natural" of not. In fact the sugar you eat in other forms is often plant derived. EX: cane and beet sugar. It is a calorie dense substance that can have other adverse side effects depending on your health. Don't exclude fruit, but be mindful of its sugar content if that is a concern. Natural does not always equal healthy or better. It just means natural.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/difference-between-sucrose-glucose-fructose-8704.html - quick sugar synopsis that seems to have a reasonable amount of citation for an article of its length.
  • jody2803
    jody2803 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sugar is complicated in a way. There are monosaccharides and disaccharides. Monosaccharides are a single molecule of glucose, galactose or lactose. These can be found singularly or bound together as diasaccharides.. Sucrose is the combination glucose and fructose. These can be found in many forms and some are more digestible than others. Fructose and sucrose are found in fruits.

Artificial sweeteners like splenda are no calorie because they cannot be broken down by your body. So you get the sweet taste without the additional calories.

Although fruit is high in sugar, it does have other benefits that other sweets just don't have, vitamins and minerals etc. So, yes reaching for an apple is better than reaching for an apple tart, but you still have to be conscious that sugar is sugar. "Natural" of not. In fact the sugar you eat in other forms is often plant derived. EX: cane and beet sugar. It is a calorie dense substance that can have other adverse side effects depending on your health. Don't exclude fruit, but be mindful of its sugar content if that is a concern. Natural does not always equal healthy or better. It just means natural.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/difference-between-sucrose-glucose-fructose-8704.html - quick sugar synopsis that seems to have a reasonable amount of citation for an article of its length.

This is almost exactly what my PT said to me too. I spent YEARS scoffing fruit like it was going out of fashion thinking it was the 'right' thing to do but actually, my sugar intake (of natural and refined) was off the chart, especially when I wasn't doing enough exercise to burn even half of it off.

I am still trial and error-ing, some fruits are naturally low in sugar - raspberries particularly. I'd still rather eat an apple than a chocolate bar but it doesn't hurt to bare it in mind and adjust if you find you aren't losing.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

This is almost exactly what my PT said to me too. I spent YEARS scoffing fruit like it was going out of fashion thinking it was the 'right' thing to do but actually, my sugar intake (of natural and refined) was off the chart, especially when I wasn't doing enough exercise to burn even half of it off.

I am still trial and error-ing, some fruits are naturally low in sugar - raspberries particularly. I'd still rather eat an apple than a chocolate bar but it doesn't hurt to bare it in mind and adjust if you find you aren't losing.

If you are eating so much sugar that it takes you over your calorie goal then it is an issue. But too many calories (from anywhere) will stop you from losing. Loads of calories within your goal won't unless you have a medical condition.

Of course if you are eating loads of sugar at the expense of protein and fats then that is an issue as well - it's just not the sugars fault :wink:
  • jody2803
    jody2803 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh I am sure it was a combination of things and before I even knew about MFP so tracking wasn't even on my mind!
  • MaDDameLeota
    Options

That was my main point. It isn't so much an issue if you're staying within your main caloric goals, unless you have some other medical condition which requires that you are more aware of it. I love including fruits in my diet every day, but as with anything moderation is key and variety in a diet is important particularly when its a low calorie diet.