Metabolic reset

Options
I am 5' 3"' and have been eating around 1100 calories a day without eating back my exercise calories. I lost 15 lbs but then started gaining all of it back. Recently i decided to start eating more in hopes of losing weight. For two weeks i ate 1800 calories and gained 10 lbs. I now have dropped to 1500 calories and have lost nothing. I am starting to get really frustrated and don't know what to do to lose this weight. Do i need to eat more? I exercise 6 days a week for an hour. I also, feel really bloated and am wondering when I will lose the water weight.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    At 1800 calories and now at 1500 calories are you eating exercise calories back? Are you weighing solids and weighing or measuring liquids? Are you logging everything? How long have you been at 1500 calories?
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

The reason you gained 10 lbs was because your body started replenishing its glycogen stores and possibly bloat because of the increase in calories. A few weeks is hardly enough time to allow your body time to situate itself. And, I'm willing to bet 1800 wasn't your true TDEE. A metabolism reset should be done for 8-12 weeks depending on how long you have been eating at a lower caloric level.

You also need to think that with all the exercise you are doing you have to properly fuel your body.
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - spent 5 weeks on 700 calories below BMR (before I knew about BMR/TDEE). Tried to gross BMR this week, but did not eat back the 4000-odd calories I worked off in gym. Gained 3 lbs. Do I really need 8 weeks on TDEE? Worry I will balloon!
  • april1445
    Options
    Pamela Peeke says that one should never eat below 1200 calories a day, cuz it can mess with your metabolism for years. Be patient.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    You shouldn't drop your calories so low, and you should eat back your exercise calories (most people don't seem to, and I'm not sure why).
    Reverse diet to maintenance calories, and then slowly drop your calories down, without losing more than 0.5-1lb per week.