Coffee that claims to help you lose weight?

Options
What do you all think about that coffee that "helps you lose weight"? I am a severe coffee drinker, so I'm thinking why not. But it is soooooooo expensive.......

Replies

• raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the coffee you mentioned, but ANY caffeinated coffee or tea will help you lose weight. The caffeine boosts your metabolism and can even make you work out harder. It's the things we add to these drinks (cream, sugar) that works against us and adds to our waistline :)
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and can't start a day without it (well a few but not many). It's when we add all the sugar and stuff that coffee becomes bad. But you also have to have it in moderation. Too much of anything is bad for you.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the coffee you mentioned, but ANY caffeinated coffee or tea will help you lose weight. The caffeine boosts your metabolism and can even make you work out harder. It's the things we add to these drinks (cream, sugar) that works against us and adds to our waistline :)

What she said.

Personally I hate products marketed to people trying to loose weight. Seems like anything that actually claims on the label it will help you loose weight is legally required to charge a fortune for it too :-p Regular coffee is cheap and minus the cream and sugar boosts your metabolism so you burn more.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Coffee that helps you lose weight is black coffee without sugar :-)
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said. Several years ago in a country I lived in overseas there was a product marketed as "weight loss water." Seriously. They recommended people drink five of the bottles a day in order to lose weight, and the bottles were 20 oz each. Now, they may have added some lemon juice so people thought it was special...but I think it really just came down to the packaging. They charged twice of what other water bottles were and they sold like hot cakes. It was like people really didn't get that suddenly drinking a hundred ounces of water each day would make a difference. I even explained to some of my friends that they could just drink their clean tap water at home for pennies and get the same effect, but the marketing used was so effective they didn't believe me until the sham was revealed nationally.

So just be happy getting your coffee and don't waste your money on 'special weight loss coffee.'
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said. Several years ago in a country I lived in overseas there was a product marketed as "weight loss water." Seriously. They recommended people drink five of the bottles a day in order to lose weight, and the bottles were 20 oz each. Now, they may have added some lemon juice so people thought it was special...but I think it really just came down to the packaging. They charged twice of what other water bottles were and they sold like hot cakes. It was like people really didn't get that suddenly drinking a hundred ounces of water each day would make a difference. I even explained to some of my friends that they could just drink their clean tap water at home for pennies and get the same effect, but the marketing used was so effective they didn't believe me until the sham was revealed nationally.

So just be happy getting your coffee and don't waste your money on 'special weight loss coffee.'

Are you talking about Contrex water in France? I think it's hilarious!

And ditto to the just drink regular coffee comments. I can't have mine without sugar (just 1/2 tsp) and a little soy creamer. Everything in moderation as someone above said. I don't know if it really helps me lose weight, but I do feel fuller after having coffee, so it probably just prevents me from snacking as much before lunch.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    There are no "negative calorie" products in existence, regardless what the labels claim.

There was a time when it was believed that eating cucumber, which is so low in calories, used up more calories to eat and digest the stuff than the cucumber contained! However, it was a false claim

The simple facts are, take in less calories than you use up and you lose weight. If that coffee contains calories, then make sure you take the total off your daily allowance. If it contains no calories, no problem, it will not add to your weight increase but I cannot, for the life of me, see how it can "make" you lose weight.

Calories in -v- calories out is the equation needed, not certain well-marketed foods and drinks that normally cost a bomb.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea, in general, are on the "good" list of beverages. In moderation, of course. Just don't load it up with sugar. I have never heard of that coffee before. What's the brand?
  • ErinMarie25
    Options

LOL, I remember that water!

You know, some companies will do anything to make money and a lot of people will try ANYTHING to lose weight. They will fall for these "lost weight faster" gimmicks.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Coffee and tea, in general, are on the "good" list of beverages. In moderation, of course. Just don't load it up with sugar. I have never heard of that coffee before. What's the brand?

http://www.bestthermocoffee.com/?gclid=CMi_0sff66QCFbJa7Aod1CiJ0g
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I drink about a half a pot of coffee every morning. I will mix my protien shake in with the first cup and then a tiny bit of splenda after that. NO CREAMER. Do you all think I'm doing ok with that?
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Agreed, just plain coffee I wouldn't waste my money. However there is a ton of research that says the boost, if any, to your metabolism is negligible. I drank coffee because I liked it, but I recently quit because I was drinking too much, and if anything I have way more energy now and actually lost more weight in the latter half of October than I did the first half. It's all about the calories when it comes to losing weight, and unfortunately like pretty much everything else their is nothing out there that can help you lose weight except to keep a calorie deficit daily. Here are a few links that point out the things that many hold to be true yet have been dis-proven, at least in some researchers studies/minds. You know how that goes. :smile:

http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/weight-loss/busting-10-diet-myths-10000001700385/page4.html

http://www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/myths.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/227349-top-ten-diet-myths/?utm_source=OctoberNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=101019
  • ErinMarie25
    Options
    Just the site itself looks like junk. Not worth it, imo. You sound fine with your coffee and you aren't loading up with sugar, which is good. I don't drink coffee or tea every day, in fact I do maybe once a week, but I do put a lot of sugar. Since I only drink about once a week, it doesn't bother me.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Be wary of any product when you cant find an ingredient list!

I found a competing brand at Big Lots for $3. It had some sort of Mexican root that locals have used for "generations" for weight control. It tasted weird. Not good weird like Chicory coffee, but just weird weird.

You're probably cool with what you're doing. Cream and sugar are the devil!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I drink about a half a pot of coffee every morning. I will mix my protien shake in with the first cup and then a tiny bit of splenda after that. NO CREAMER. Do you all think I'm doing ok with that?

Until very recently I would drink that much plus a couple more cups after lunch. I so looked forward to my after lunch cup of coffee. However, I have been dealing with fatigue issues for a several years now, and was diagnosed with hypo-thyroid. I take a natural supplement for my thyroid and have been now for I guess about a year, and the difference was huge. However, I still suffered from fatigue and after doing a lot of research just decided to quit coffee almost cold turkey. I have so much freaking energy now I don't know what to do with myself. Not only can I not remember how longs it's been since I felt this good I don't know if I have ever felt this good!

What I found was that coffee was a vaso-constrictor, which is why people who get migraines often drink coffee to help with that because a migraine is caused by a dilation of the blood vessels in the head, and coffee helps shrink them a bit. The research says that while we may have all drank coffee to get through those late night study sessions, and the caffeine gave us the "energy" to do so, we may have actually decreased our ability to learn (explains a lot for me in college :-) ) since the brain is an organ that works better with good blood flow just like anything else, and coffee seems to restrict that flow. This can be applied to exercise as well.

I have some articles on that but I think they are on my work laptop I can't find them now. All that being said, I plan to drink coffee again, I'll just keep it to that single or half a cup in the morning, and then splurge occasionally with my much loved after lunch cup, and the research completely supports that, but I feel so much better not drinking in the volume that I was I really don't have much of a desire for it.

***Edited to add link and quote from the article***

"Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor. A vasoconstrictor is a substance that causes cells in the brain or body to get smaller, which means less blood gets to the cell (as the cell is smaller). Because blood carries oxygen, there is less oxygen in the cell also."

http://www.femail.com.au/caffeine.htm
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Coffee on it's own is not a weight loss product. It has no calories, so it doesn't add to the problem. If you add creamer, MEASURE it. I used to add 150 calories to my coffee w/creamer(times two cups). Now i use"lite" creamer and only add 35 calories, and the taste is about the same. As a side note, caffine before a workout has been shown to help boost performance. They put caffine in some of the GU chomps I have on long bike rides & runs.

Save your money. Find a brand of coffee you like and enjoy it, then go for a walk. You'll get better results than with any diet coffee.