Is Diet Soda Making You Gain Weight?

Options
Thought I would share this with any one who may be interested.

By Chris Iliades, MD
Medically reviewed by Pat F. Bass III, MD, MPH

Diet soda sounds like an easy way to cut calories, but new research shows it may not be good for weight loss. Learn why diet soda may actually cause you to gain weight, among other problems.

If you feel better about having a burger and fries for lunch because you ordered a diet soda, you shouldn't. Studies show that diet soda may not be any better for you than regular soda. In fact, it may even be worse.

Close to 60 percent of Americans drink diet soda on a regular basis. Many of them believe diet soda helps them with weight loss, but there is mounting evidence that diet soda may actually cause you to gain weight.

Diet Soda and Weight Loss: What Research Revealed

"Recent literature suggests that those who drink diet soda weigh more than those who don't. That shouldn't surprise anyone. Does diet soda cause weight gain? I think that is the wrong question. I don't think people should drink diet soda, whether they have weight problems or not," says Darwin Deen, MD, senior attending physician at Montefiore Medical Center's Department of Family and Social Medicine in the Bronx, New York.

Of top concern, drinking diet soda has been linked to developing metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a group of conditions that include expanding waist size, increased blood pressure, elevated triglycerides, lower levels of good cholesterol, and high fasting blood sugar levels. Having three or more of these findings increases your risk of diabetes and heart disease. Here are some other research findings you should know about diet soda:

According to the San Antonio Heart Study, the more diet sodas you drink, the greater the chance that you will be overweight or obese. For each diet soda you drink there is a 65 percent increase in your risk of becoming overweight. According to the Framingham Heart Study, if you drink diet soda you are at risk for weight gain and metabolic syndrome. According to research done at Purdue University, rats that were fed artificial sweeteners gained more weight than rats fed normal sugar. Findings from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, show that meat, fried food, and diet soda are all significantly associated with metabolic syndrome.

Diet Soda and Weight Loss: Why the Weight Gain?

There's more content below this advertisement. Jump to the content. Although researchers can't say for sure why diet soda sets the stage for weight gain, there are several possible reasons. "I discourage my patients from drinking diet sodas because while they have no calories, they are created to simulate the sweetness of a regular soda. This leaves the drinker’s taste buds completely overwhelmed. For an example of this, take a sip of water and then bite into your favorite fruit. Then try the same experiment with diet soda. Note that the real food tastes flat after drinking soda," explains Dr. Deen. The distortion of taste may cause the diet soda drinker to seek higher calorie foods.

Another possibility is that people just eat more because they think they are saving calories from drinking a diet soda. A direct link between artificial sweeteners and a craving for high-calorie foods may exist. There is also the possibility that the link is related to unknown factors involving diet, exercise, or other personal characteristics.

Diet Soda and Weight Loss: Caffeine’s Role

Although diet soda has fewer calories than regular soda, the caffeine content may be greater. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a 12-ounce regular Coke contains 35 milligrams of caffeine and a Diet Coke contains 47 mg. At low levels, caffeine can stimulate energy, make you more alert, and may be beneficial for weight loss. In higher amounts it can cause nervousness, increased heart rate, and difficulty concentrating. You may also get withdrawal symptoms such as headache, irritability, or depression if you stop taking caffeine suddenly.

"Although caffeine can be helpful for weight loss, I recommend getting your caffeine from iced coffee. If you need to add sugar, add as little as possible for taste," says Deen. "I advise my patients to drink water. For a healthy alternative to diet soda, try adding one-third cup of fruit juice to seltzer water for a low-calorie and not-too-sweet beverage.”

Although the exact relationship of diet soda to weight gain and metabolic syndrome is not clear, it is obvious that diet soda should not be considered a “healthy” alternative to regular soda. When you choose to drink any soda, you are choosing to drink a beverage that is just not as healthy for you as milk, juice, or water.

Website it came from is : http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/is-diet-soda-making-you-gain-weight.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthDietandNutrition_20101023

Replies

• soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I drink way too much diet soda. Something I going to stop. I once quit drinking diet soda and lost 15lbs in 2 weeks. I didn't remember that until your post. Okay today I stop drinking diet soda and lets see the results.

Thanks for posting.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I gave up my Diet Coke habit over a year ago, and this reinforces my decision. I still have it occasionally, but not everyday like before. I'm sure giving it up helped me drop some pounds.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I gradually cut back on diet..my next step is coffee (1-2 cups a day ONLY). no matter what i do i like flavored creamers..not just sugar/fat free ones but the regular ones which adds up to a ton of calories. Moving slow, but ill get there!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I thought it was only worse because of the sugar subtitute they use. I'm sure if you don't drink a lot and also drink lots of water it wouldn't matter. I've lost a lot of weight cutting out regular pop and switching to diet. But I've changed more than just that.. not saying that this is a bad article, however. No pop is really good for you. mm water..
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I :heart: LOVE:heart: my Diet Cherry Coke! But after reading that and other things I have read regarding diet soda, I am seriously going to cut back and eventually(soon) quit all together!!! Thanks for posting this!!! I have done that test where you drink water and eat something naturally sweet and then drink diet soda and taste the same thing and it DOESN't taste sweet at all!! It's really weird!!! Makes you wonder. I do believe that diet soda INCREASES my appetite too!! Thanks again!
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm not 100% sure if I agree though. Have to give it some thought! Thanks for posting.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The research is interesting, but I'm not 100% sure everything has been examined thoroughly yet. That being said, when you drink a diet soda, you ARE drinking water with just a bunch of chemicals added. Hmmmm.

I've cut down drastically since I started this program. Tea and even coffee are so much better for you. Tea is particularly good if you brew it and drink it right away, so I make iced tea by brewing a cup of very strong tea and pouring it over ice. Good Earth Original is especially good! So full of cinnamonny goodness that it doesn't need any kind of sweetening. Yum. However, I confess to still having one nightly (I know that's counter-intuitive--caffeine at night!) diet soda for now. It's like everything else on this journey. You start with a small step and keep adding to it.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely a link between artificial sweetners and weight gain and there is a great amount of studies that prove since the introduction of processed foods and artificial sweetners our nation has become increasinly fatter to now epidemic proportions. These articles and studies go back decades and yet we don't listen and we follow the next "health" craze only to become fatter and fatter and we become sicker and sicker and then we think its ok to complain about rising health care costs when we are fueling the fire.

We keep it simple, in order to figure out what we should be eating and drinking we should eat food that is as close to the source as possible and eating a diet full of fruits and veggies with sides of beans, lentils and occassionally meats is the best diet out there. I once heard Jillian Michaels (who I don't really care for) say she's never heard of a cheeto tree, well the same goes for sodas of all kinds, there's no diet coke lake.

Artificial sweetners have a long history of creating many health issues and so scientist that work FOR food companies come up with something new and like lemmons we just go to the next one because the commercial says it's better. Splenda was originally going to be used for PEST CONTROL, do an experiment, put a chunk of bread in simple syrup made with real sugar and then make simply syrup with splenda and then put both pieces of bread out near an ant hill....THE ANTS ARE SMART ENOUGH TO AVOID THE SPLENDA!!!

I could go on and on because I am quite passionate that we MUST stop this madness, it is a sad sad fact that our children are the first generation NOT expected to out live their parents and it's our own fault. It is an even sadder fact that they have now lowered the age for early cholesterol blood work to AGE 8. What else is it going to take for our society to wake up and realize we are all participants in the largest MARKETING scheme ever to be created.

Marketers are responsible for creating crazes, take pomegranate as an example, it is expensive and offers no truly greater benefit than a cup of blueberries or blackberries and they are much less expensive. Snackwells, oh you remember those, well were are they now??? Activia is another great one, it is usually more expensive than regular yogurt because of it's wonderful "probiotics" well I hate to tell alll of you but yogurt has probiotics so why pay twice the price for yogurt that from everything I have heard tastes like crap?

IF the label proclaims it is healthy for you it is best to put it down and go another direction because the larger the claim the unhealthier the product (proven fact by the way!) Oh, and don't forget, eggs used to be delivered straight from the devil himself to give people high cholesterol and heart attacks.

Everything in moderation and as close to the source, keep away from boxes that can sit on shelves for years to come and teach your children how to eat and exercise.......it's time for no more excuses!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I echo "everything in moderation". I'm not sure if the link to obesity and expanding waist, etc.. is due to the people drinking it generally eating more calories anyway, or if it's the artificial sweeteners. But I do think processed and made in the lab foods are not good for us in general. Especially if it's the main part of our diet. The more "real" food and nutrition we get the better. I also extend that to vitamines, and suppliments. If you can get it from real food cooked properly or raw, so much the better. It's hard to do in America!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I have been working on cutting out Diet Coke since I started MFP. Thanks for sharing!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My one bottle of diet coke actually curbs my cravings for sweets so I am not going to cut it out no matter how many times I read it makes you crave more. Maybe that is in people that switch from regular to diet but I gave up regular soda over 10 years ago. Research is always funded by someone that wants to prove so numbers are usually skewed that way.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to portions. Soda is a treat. You wouldn't eat a slice of chocolate cake every time you are hungry, so why would you drink a soda every time you are thirsty.

Even if it is 0 cals something has to make it sweet. Lead doesn't have cals but you don't eat that do you?

Things have been pushed on the public for more than health reasons. Economics has a big impact in why the government says what is healthy and what is not. Its not conspiracy its just fact. third world countries grow the trees that make the sweeteners. It is "America's job" to push us to buy cheap so they get the warm fuzzy for feeding a village of bark/leaf harvesters.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    It really comes down to portions. Soda is a treat. You wouldn't eat a slice of chocolate cake every time you are hungry, so why would you drink a soda every time you are thirsty.

Even if it is 0 cals something has to make it sweet. Lead doesn't have cals but you don't eat that do you?

Things have been pushed on the public for more than health reasons. Economics has a big impact in why the government says what is healthy and what is not. Its not conspiracy its just fact. third world countries grow the trees that make the sweeteners. It is "America's job" to push us to buy cheap so they get the warm fuzzy for feeding a village of bark/leaf harvesters.

Soooooooo right!!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The problem with the types of studies cited in the article is that they do not differentiate between cause and coincidence. Because of that the "conclusions" are often based on individual bias.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The problem with the types of studies cited in the article is that they do not differentiate between cause and coincidence. Because of that the "conclusions" are often based on individual bias.

Well, you're right, some studies don't have controls and can't tell if there is a placebo effect or some other influence which might interfere with the results. However there are a lot of studies that make diet drinks seem troubling.

It would be interesting to see a study done on people who use a tool like MFP to record what they eat ensure a similarity in caloric intake, then have one group drink diet drinks, and then a control group drink water only, and then see the results. To me that kind of controlled study about the influence of diet drinks on weight loss, when used as part of a weight loss regime (as opposed to those who drink it to justify a biggie fry) would be very interesting.

Oh well, I have never been one to drink diet drinks, since I was always suspicious of the false sweeteners. I gave up all soft drinks before starting MFP, and don't really see a need to drink any at all. I pretty much just drink varieties of unsweet tea and LOTS of water :) I'd rather get my calories from food.

Not to mention, to me I think the phrase "You can't get something for nothing" applies here. This isn't a scientifically proven fact, I just think that you can't ask for a zero calorie drink that has so many chemicals and additives and sweeteners added to not DO anything once it is in your body. I expect that everything I put in my body will have an influence, good or bad, why would artificial sweeteners be any different?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Again-cause vs coincidence. The nation has also become more obese since lights were installed at Wrigley Field. Does that mean night baseball causes obesity? I'm not necessarily arguing in favor of diet soda-I just think people need to exercise extreme caution when interpreting these kinds of studies.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Except the studies that are done with specific parameters and control groups to test the effects of diet drinks on the body. The things that are more open to interpretation is a "study" which is actually a survey of society. With a survey there are too many uncontrollable other factors that could be contributing causes, and you're right, the diet drink could just be a coincidence. But if it is a controlled study, there is a reasonable amount of certainty to the study. Not perfect, but reasonable.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    There is absolutely a link between artificial sweetners and weight gain and there is a great amount of studies that prove since the introduction of processed foods and artificial sweetners our nation has become increasinly fatter to now epidemic proportions. These articles and studies go back decades and yet we don't listen and we follow the next "health" craze only to become fatter and fatter and we become sicker and sicker and then we think its ok to complain about rising health care costs when we are fueling the fire.

We keep it simple, in order to figure out what we should be eating and drinking we should eat food that is as close to the source as possible and eating a diet full of fruits and veggies with sides of beans, lentils and occassionally meats is the best diet out there. I once heard Jillian Michaels (who I don't really care for) say she's never heard of a cheeto tree, well the same goes for sodas of all kinds, there's no diet coke lake.

Artificial sweetners have a long history of creating many health issues and so scientist that work FOR food companies come up with something new and like lemmons we just go to the next one because the commercial says it's better. Splenda was originally going to be used for PEST CONTROL, do an experiment, put a chunk of bread in simple syrup made with real sugar and then make simply syrup with splenda and then put both pieces of bread out near an ant hill....THE ANTS ARE SMART ENOUGH TO AVOID THE SPLENDA!!!

I could go on and on because I am quite passionate that we MUST stop this madness, it is a sad sad fact that our children are the first generation NOT expected to out live their parents and it's our own fault. It is an even sadder fact that they have now lowered the age for early cholesterol blood work to AGE 8. What else is it going to take for our society to wake up and realize we are all participants in the largest MARKETING scheme ever to be created.

Marketers are responsible for creating crazes, take pomegranate as an example, it is expensive and offers no truly greater benefit than a cup of blueberries or blackberries and they are much less expensive. Snackwells, oh you remember those, well were are they now??? Activia is another great one, it is usually more expensive than regular yogurt because of it's wonderful "probiotics" well I hate to tell alll of you but yogurt has probiotics so why pay twice the price for yogurt that from everything I have heard tastes like crap?

IF the label proclaims it is healthy for you it is best to put it down and go another direction because the larger the claim the unhealthier the product (proven fact by the way!) Oh, and don't forget, eggs used to be delivered straight from the devil himself to give people high cholesterol and heart attacks.

Everything in moderation and as close to the source, keep away from boxes that can sit on shelves for years to come and teach your children how to eat and exercise.......it's time for no more excuses!

+1.

although I will say, Snackwells used to have a great variety of stuff, especially these chocolate chip cookies that were really really yummy! Used those as a snack almost exclusively the first time I lost 50-something pounds, so I miss those :-)

I just don't like how diet soda tastes. Nasty aftertaste - water with lemon or lime in it tastes better now.
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Altho I detest diet soda, I became way addicted to Pepsi, fully loaded. I have cut down to one a day of the Pepsi, from a six pack. I have been drinking diet root beer this past week. I have always been against artificial sweeteners but desperate to get off the Pepsi .
    At this point I will try to just stick with water! Thanks again.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this article. The last time I lost weight I drank only diet soda. It sickens me now to know how many chemicals I was putting into my body with that c*ap. When we started TTC I cut out `fake` sweeteners because I have heard that they alter the tastebuds of the fetus and can lead to obesity later in life. We still do eat some `fake` food, we are not perfect, but we try to eat as natural as possible. I do find now that when I eat something with a fake sweetener in it, I crave sugar like crazy for the rest of the day. I once ate a peaches in syrup cup, thinking it was with real syrup. I couldn`t figure out why I wanted anything sweet until I got home from work and looked at the packaging. They quickly went into the garbage!