Nursing and weight loss??

Options
Hi, I am currently nursing a 4 week old baby but want to try and lose some of this extra weight. Anyone else doing the same thing?? I used this site over a year ago and lost 40 pounds...only 15 pounds shy of my goal then had a surprise pregnancy. Also, if you are nursing, how do you calculate the extra needed calories into what MFP says we need? Would you just allow yourself an extra 300 calories?? Any info on this would be helpful. Thanks!!

Replies

• tonyajohn
    Options
    You should allow yourself 500 extra calories a day if you are exclusively breastfeeding. I'm nursing a toddler and still have to add 500 calories or my milk supply suffers. You can add you calories to your food diary by searching for breastfeeding or adding -500 as quick calories. Or you can add the calories to your exercise diary in much the same way. Feel free to check out my food diary and/or send a friend request if you still need help. Good Luck!
  • aoea2013
    aoea2013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about "requirements" for nursing but, I am eating 1900 calories a day, nursing a 7 1/2 month old baby and am losing around 2 pounds per week. This has just been within the last 4-5 weeks though & he does have solids. This may or may not help, hope it does :happy:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 3 month old. I set mfp to lose 0.5 lbs and I'm losing about 1.5 lbs a week. It has me at 1870 net calories.
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    you want to add 500 calories for nursing. also, you shouldnt worry about the weight until baby is at least 6 mo old. that is to make sure your supply is stable. at the very least, i would wait until baby is 3 mo. make sure you are drinking plenty of water. you need water to make milk. there are some foods that reduce milk supply. avoid those. you can find good info on diet, exercise, foods etc on kellymom.com. esp helpful is the page on supply boosting foods and supply reducing foods and meds.