Fitbit or Jawbone up???

Options
2»

Replies

• pizzmor
    Options
    I went ahead and picked up a Fitbit Flex tonight. I will report back on how the thing is.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex, but couldn't recommend either for cycling or trapeze. It doesn't track steps very well if I have my hands in my pocket, much less when I'm on my bike or pushing a shopping cart etc.

If you want something just to track specific exercises, a heart rate monitor would probably be the best option. I bought my flex to track how many steps I take throughout my work day, and it is the perfect tool for that job.
  • bunbu
    bunbu Posts: 131
    Options
    So then it wont track my calories burn throughout the day for working out? Only will do for steps and stairs?
  • pizzmor
    Options
    So then it wont track my calories burn throughout the day for working out? Only will do for steps and stairs?

It does calories too.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    What I love about jawbone is that it's a bracelet -
    What I don't like about fitbit is it's not a bracelet!

With jawbone - there is no way I'm forgetting it at home or in my pocket and washing it accidently then doesn't work anymore (happened to a friend). It's on my arm 24 hours a day - a bit annoying at first, but after a day you don't even notice it anymore.

I've been wearing mine since March - have done at least 10 000 steps a day every single day - except 2 - and I usually do more like 13 000. I've lost almost 40 lbs - combination of my steps and portion control.

ETA: the UP app is nicer and cleaner than the fitbit app - imo
  • vicki9168
    vicki9168 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I read the above comments then went and ordered a Fitbit One last night. I initially didn't want a pedometer as have had them before and had probs with them falling off my clothes, I liked the idea of on my wrist and don't have to remember where it is. One of the comments on this thread said on your hip is better and I agree so went for the pedometer.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi I've had a fitbit which I've really loved. After more than a years use it broke. I know about the fitbit flex and it is going to be updated with the fitbit force that will be released in about 4 weeks. I am going to wait for it to be released to replace my fitbit. There is an excellent review of it at www.cnet.com
    Best wishes,
    Gina
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There was the fitbit one, fitbit flex and soon to be released fitbit force. Perhaps fitbit will allow you to trade for the soon to be released fitbit force.
    I had the fitbit one myself and it really was not bad but it is pretty old school now!
    (This comment is meant for lady that just sent for the fitbit one)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    What I love about jawbone is that it's a bracelet -
    What I don't like about fitbit is it's not a bracelet!

The two latest Fitbits are bracelets. Flex and Force.

To me, these are the major comparison points. The Up is better looking and they say it has a nice mobile app. I'm not sure if it even has a web app (non-mobile). Fitbit has a display IN the unit and synchs to your pc or phone via bluetooth, so you do nothing. Up you have to take it off, remove a cap and plug it into your phone to see your stats. That's a deal killer for me.

Though just a quick check of the Up web site shows they've now got one for $149 that synchs wirelessly but only to iphones, I think.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and I LOVE IT. Literally, it's very easy to keep track of my goal with blinking lights on my wrist indicating my progress. It also synchs up with MFP perfectly, keeping track of my total calorie burn. I don't eat back the calories I get from the fitbit, but it's very interesting to see nonetheless. Also, my food shows up on my fitbit app, so everything is always together which is very convenient and easy to understand. I know nothing about Jawbone, but personally, I cannot recommend the fitbit enough.