keeping up with a fitness/diet journal?

Options
I've been trying to do a fitness journal consisting of what I eat; calories and then how much i exercise and burn with that. I for some reason have a hard time doing this, and I can't seem to keep going with it. I'll do it a few days, and then I get discouraged and stop.

Is there any easy way to do this?
Or is it just as simple as "if it matters to me I just have to actually do it?

Replies

• robinsondel
    Options
    I think a lot of it is the whole "just do it" mentality. Personally, in the past, I've tried to keep a written journal, and I've never been able to do so. But, So far, I've been using MFP for 2 weeks and I've logged every single thing I've eaten, including gum. Maybe it's just because I really like how it's set up. I don't know, but so far it's working for me. Also, I have someone in my personal life that is helping me stay accountable and they have MFP as well, so they can check up on it. So, the buddy system, or the not wanting to let down the "coach" mentality may be helping as well.
  • trainerwannabe
    trainerwannabe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    "if it matters to me I just have to actually do it?

You have answered your own question, my dear. You gotta want it!!
    Shoot for 6 out of 7 days (take Saturday off).
  • lahan505
    lahan505 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You will have to work hard to get into the habit of logging your exercise, food and beverages. It is very hard to keep up with it at first, but as you start seeing progress, you will start finding out what works for you, what doesn't work, and what your triggers for slipping back to your old habits are. It will still come down to do you want to make it work? Are you willing to put in the effort? Does it matter to you if you are healthy and can do the things you want to do?

You can do it if you decide it is important to you.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to the idea and do it every day, it will become part of your day. But it does take time (so no getting upset at yourself if you forget).
  • kristenm1243
    Options
    Thank's for all the help and advice, I really appreciate it. The hardest part is wanting it, but then I find myself slipping back into old habits really fast.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    There have been a few things that have helped me. First off, I love the format here. There is no reason to write this all out, as MFP keeps it all all here at your fingertips. You can look back as far as you want to, to see what has worked, what choices you have made and experiment adding different foods in to your daily plan, until you come up with the right things/choices for your day.

Next, is the fact that the people on the site are friendly and mostly of a like mind. They are here to meet personal goals and work toward weight loss, health or other goals. You can be active, finding friends, sharing recipes, encouraging others, or you can do this as privately as you want to. I happen to find it easier to have people I can talk to and encourage, just as they encourage me.

Finally is the idea that if I don't do this, nothing would change. I was ready for change and ready to work on my health, so I decided that this time, would be different than any other previous attemppts I have made, because I am worth it and I am ready to get healthier!!!!

If you want it, set goals for yourself that you can work on and build upon. First work on drinking 8 glasses of water a day. In two weeks, set another goal and continue the first one also!! You can do this!!