Heart rate monitor

Options
I'm not sure if I can belive this or not. I used my new heart rate monitor today and according to the reading it says I burned 727 calories during one hour of step rebok class. I had been listing this class as 200 calories, now I'm wondering if maybe this is why I have been having such a hard time losing weight. My heart rate was at around 144, which I think is fat burning for me. I have been doing MFP since May and have only lost 6 pounds. I am constantly reading the boards here for encouragement. I have been eating my exercise calories and still nothing so now I see its possible I haven't been eating enough. It's very scary and confusing! I'm one of those people who before joing MFP was eating under 1000 calories and never losing weight. I have a hard time eating so many healthy caloires. so I figure my matabolism is all messed up. Anyway I was just wondering if 727 sounds to high? I need help! Thanks

Replies

• johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can belive this or not. I used my new heart rate monitor today and according to the reading it says I burned 727 calories during one hour of step rebok class. I had been listing this class as 200 calories, now I'm wondering if maybe this is why I have been having such a hard time losing weight. My heart rate was at around 144, which I think is fat burning for me. I have been doing MFP since May and have only lost 6 pounds. I am constantly reading the boards here for encouragement. I have been eating my exercise calories and still nothing so now I see its possible I haven't been eating enough. It's very scary and confusing! I'm one of those people who before joing MFP was eating under 1000 calories and never losing weight. I have a hard time eating so many healthy caloires. so I figure my matabolism is all messed up. Anyway I was just wondering if 727 sounds to high? I need help! Thanks
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    I was actually wondering the same thing about my heart monitor. I wear a wrist monitor and update my heartbeat regularily. At the end of a bike ride, it tells me I have often burned over 600 calories!! I mean its a great ride, don't get me wrong, but 600 calories?
    Help!
  • tpdance
    tpdance Posts: 21
    Options
    I had to go in and make adjustments to my profile and goals, i put lose 1/2 lb a week just so it would up my calorie intake, b/c i did my RMR calculation on another website and it was set to low on MFP. I was finding myself in same situation as you, i got stuck i rut of not losing weight, and so i started upping my calorie intake and ended up losing a lb or two even though took in more. So I definately recommend checking other websites as u use this one to keep things in check. Now as far as burning that many calories, it is possible but prob more like 500 would be max. but lots of things to take into consideration. Anyways, i recommend using other websites and calculators to keep things balanced. :-)
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    That sounds right, you guys :happy:

I teach a stroller fitness class which is a moderate intensity and I usually burn between 550 and 700 calories. Yesterday I rode my bike for a semi-leisurely ride and burned 600 cals in 40 minutes.

HRMs are great because sometimes you burn a lot less than you thought and sometimes you burn WAY more! It's a great tool for a plan like this that uses the balance of calories. I couldn't believe how much I could burn when I first got my HRM about a week or so into this journey, but quite quickly as my cardiovascular system got back into its old shape it was a lot harder to pull the big numbers. Don't be surprised when that happens! :wink:
  • johnsscarlett
    Options
    I actually went onto another site and under step it said around 500 calories. Maybe I'll do that and see how it works. It is all so darn confusing!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

700 plus calories for about 85% max heart rate for an hour sounds about right to me. If you're 53, then your max heart rate should be 220 - 53= 167 should be your max heart rate. So 167 divided by 144 is about 85% . That's pretty high by the way. You can safely burn fat at a lower rate if you choose too (say about 75% would still work fine). But as long as you feel ok at that level, then by all means, continue. :happy:
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good heart rate monitor? I have been wanting one for a while now, but there are so many and the prices vary so much. I am worried I won't buy a good one.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You might even like to wear your HRM for 24 hours, and see what you burn in an average day. I was eating far too few calories, and got stuck on a plateau. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Banks - are you there? Am I not working hard enough with my workouts? Yesterday I full out ran 80-85% of heart rate, for almost an hour and burned 580 calories. I hear people burning far more. Should I be pushing my heart further than that? My understanding was that you don't really want to get your heart rate much higher than 85% for an extended period. Just curious what you think...
    :smile:
  • johnsscarlett
    Options
    Thank you Banks. I am so confused. the 144 is just what it went to during the class. It's a lot of lighting weights and lunges. I have been working out at the gym for over 2 years now and I feel fine. What would be a good heart rate for fat burning? By the way I love this site! and all the info you give.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Thank you Banks. I am so confused. the 144 is just what it went to during the class. It's a lot of lighting weights and lunges. I have been working out at the gym for over 2 years now and I feel fine. What would be a good heart rate for fat burning? By the way I love this site! and all the info you give.

In my reading I've found that the suggested heart rate for burning fat is somewhere between 70 and 85%... for your age, you'd be looking at keeping it between 117 bpm and 142 bpm.

I hope that helped some! Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • johnsscarlett
    Options
    I guess 117-142 seems so low but I shall give it a try. Thank you all so much.
  • rp73910
    rp73910 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi! I am a lover of step aerobics, I do Cathe. I do a 50 minute workout I weigh 128 and I record it as 470 calories, that's with a 6 in step. It all depends on the intensity and your weight. Good luck
  • banks1850
    Options
    You might even like to wear your HRM for 24 hours, and see what you burn in an average day. I was eating far too few calories, and got stuck on a plateau. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Banks - are you there? Am I not working hard enough with my workouts? Yesterday I full out ran 80-85% of heart rate, for almost an hour and burned 580 calories. I hear people burning far more. Should I be pushing my heart further than that? My understanding was that you don't really want to get your heart rate much higher than 85% for an extended period. Just curious what you think...
    :smile:

580 sounds low for that much work at that level. I don't know why, but it probably has to do with your specific numbers. I know for me, at 185 lbs and being a male at 6'2" if I were to average about 82 for 1 hour I would probably be at around 900 cals. I know that I did 42 minutes the other day at an average of 79% and did about 600 cals, so it turns into...about 850 cals I think, is that right? Yeah 42 is 70% of 60 so 600 divided by .7 = 857. But it's different for everyone, that's just mine.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I guess 117-142 seems so low but I shall give it a try. Thank you all so much.

that's not low, that's a good rate. I keep mine at 148, which is about 80% for me. If you keep your's around 130 or so you should be good.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I adore my Polar F6 heart rate monitor. Best investment I've made in this process!!

You can burn fat between 60-75% of your max HR but as your cardiovascular system gets in better shape it will take more work to burn the calories and you will burn more fat at higher percentages. But as with almost everything in life, it's not all going to be exactly the same for every person. Bodies are unique!
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I have the Highgear Pulsware Duo and I have NOT been able to figure it out! I just did 20 mins of vigorous bike riding and it said I burned 18 calories! I really hope that's not right!! Do you think someone at a sporting goods store would be able to show me how to use the stupid thing??
  • banks1850
    Options
    I'll second the Polar F6, I have had one for 7 months now. It's been flawless for me. And the fact that I can rinse off both the watch and the strap after I work out because they are waterproof makes me happy (It's the little things I guess). It's pretty easy to figure out, and the polar uplink lets me post my workouts on a decent website that lets me track my progress online.
  • northernmama705
    Options
    Here is a great website for the technologically challenged....like me. I am a visual learner,so reading the manual was boring and confusing. I simply clicked on the model I have (F4) and it literally walked you through every set for set-up. My four year old could have set it up for me with this tutorial.

http://www.polarca.com/tutorials/default.asp
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    Does anyone remember what brand they had on the biggest loser last season? I went to their website where i saw the name of it last season, but i couldn't find it on there now.