Help...Need to buy wedding dress, but not at goal weight

Options
So...my wedding is 7 months away. I am 160 lbs. I want to be in the 130s by the wedding. Very doable! But... I need to get my dress soon! What size do I buy? I know it's a bad idea to buy a dress too small and hope to fit it. Do I buy one size smaller because that's realistic?

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to take in a dress that is too big than it is to let one out that is too small. Wedding gowns run quite small, too. Order the dress to fit you now, or *maybe* one size smaller, and let the seamstress adjust as needed when the time comes.
  • Ashleyanne271
    Ashleyanne271 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would probably buy your size now or just one size smaller. It is a lot easier for a seamstress to take in a dress if you lose the weight.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky one...

I would buy a size smaller! It is very doable and it is gonna be a big motivation for you!

And if you are more than a size smaller, it is still possible to make adjustment to the dress so it can fit you better
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Most boutiques will do fittings and alterations as you get closer to the date.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Maybe do one size smaller and then as it gets closer to D-Day, have it taken in if it's too big? I don't have much advice for you, sorry. I bought my wedding dress on Ebay... and it fit. LOL. Perhaps someone with more experience will have better advice.
  • diddles19
    diddles19 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Buy a dress the size you are now and have it altered nearer the time. Life gets in the way sometimes so you might for some reason not lose as much as you'd hoped. Also you can't guarantee your shape will be the same.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Ditto.
    You don't want to add the stress of not fitting into your dress to the mountain of other things you can stress about.
    I loved loved my wedding, but planning it was quite stressful.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Most boutiques will do fittings and alterations as you get closer to the date.

This. My sister had her final fitting like 2 weeks before the wedding date. She picked it up three days before and it was perfect. If you go just 1 size smaller, and one with a corset waist (they are very forgiving- usually you can let them out or tighten them within a couple of sizes), you should have no problems.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would wait a few more months. Look now to see what styles you like, but don't actually buy until four months away. You'll still have plenty of time for alterations, and you may have a better idea in three months about what size you'll actually be on your big day.

Congratulations and have fun! This is a super exciting time!! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Maybe do one size smaller and then as it gets closer to D-Day, have it taken in if it's too big? I don't have much advice for you, sorry. I bought my wedding dress on Ebay... and it fit. LOL. Perhaps someone with more experience will have better advice.

This is pretty much what I was thinking too.

I don't even want to buy a swimsuit until April or May since I don't know what my size will be...much less a wedding gown! haha

I'd wait and buy the gown MUCH closer to time, but that is just me. I have never been too obsessed w/ the whole bridal fashion thing and both of my weddings have been small.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Get a dress with a corset back. That's what I did. Not only was it extremely sexy, but I didn't need any alterations at all.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Buy the size you are NOW. Pre-wedding stress can do crazy things. Do not add the pressure of trying to shrink into a dress.

Most dresses need to be altered slightly for a perfect fit anyway, so it's no big deal if you lose the weight you want and a seamstress has to make the dress smaller for you.

Dresses can always be made smaller - it's a nightmare if they need to make it bigger. Plus - making it smaller will be cheaper in terms of alterations, because you won't be asking for miracles.

ETA - do a search on here for wedding dress topics. There are a lot of brides coming in here in May/June freaking out because their wedding dress is too small, because they ordered a smaller size thinking they would shrink into it. Don't set yourself up for that heartbreak.
  • KateJKrise
    Options
    I would love to wait until closer to the wedding, but bridal botiques are telling me that I should order 8-9 months in advance. I have 7 months left. I would really prefer to buy off the wrack, so I don't think I'd have a problem...but the last thing I want is to wait too long and not have a dress.
  • swissbrit
    Options
    Why do you need to buy it 7 months in advance??????? If you are losing weight it woould be better to try on dresses to find the style and shape you want but leave the buying until nearer the time ask at the store you plan on getting the dress how long you would need to leave for alterations to be on the safe side. I am getting married in June and havent tried on one single dress yet .
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have 2 weddings next summer, both brides are wearing "corset" style dresses. They are much more forgiving and easier to alter. The dress they chose (yes they both picked the same one.. it's making for interesting bridesmaid times on my part) can be taken in almost 5 sizes due to it's original construction (corset waist, ballgown, minimal "detail"). When you go and try on dresses, they'll take your measurements and let you know based on the gown(s) you choose, how much you can go down in alterations. Taking a dress IN is way easier than letting a dress OUT - and having been on that road as a bridesmaid, let me tell you it's a VERY very stressful situation to try your dress on a week before the wedding and find out that it no longer fits by 2 inches. I couldn't imagine it as a bride, especially that close to the big day.

As for purchasing - most salons suggest that your dress is purchased no later than 5-7 months out depending on the designer and dress style. The previous mentioned brides are both getting married at the end of June/beginning of July - their dresses had to be ordered by the end of December or they wouldn't be able to guarantee it.
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    I agree with the above posters!

Lace up back/Corset style dresses are forgiving and can basically fit a range of sizes (within reason). It's been perfect for me as I've lost about 30 pounds since first buying my wedding dress.. It does need alterations but definitely not as much as a zip up/button up dress would!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Buy the dress that fits you now. I was a member of a wedding website for years and I cannot count the number of brides that bought a dress smaller and in the end did not fit it and were doing crash diets in a panick. You can't choose where or how your body loses weight, and weddings can be very stressful. I've lost 12lbs already and a couple of inches an I'm still not anywhere near down one size yet. I'm not saying I don't think you can hit your goal, I'm sure you can. I'm just saying there is no way to predict what size you'll be or what life may throw at you in the next 6 months. It's not worth the risk.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to buy your dress now for a May wedding ??
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Buy a dress the size you are now and have it altered nearer the time. Life gets in the way sometimes so you might for some reason not lose as much as you'd hoped. Also you can't guarantee your shape will be the same.

This! Buy your current size and it can be taken in. If a dress is too small, you can do nothing about it.

Good timing too. I had a friend who bought her dress about 15 months before her wedding and it's now 2 sizes too small. IT was very snug when she bought it, she planned on losing more weight and ended up gaining a fair amount. Her dress won't even zip now.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to buy your dress now for a May wedding ??

Unless you buy off the rack, 6-9 months ahead is common for ordering, making and alterations to the dress.