Me, (figure skating), what's your favorite exercise?

Options

I hope the above video gives someone inspiration. I am 45 years old, and I am figure skating for exercise and fun. It takes stamina, strong muscles and bones, balance, and endurance. I have skated "on gain, off again" throughout my life, with long rest stops in between life events like babies, jobs, schooling, injury, illness, and family. It has taught me humility, failure, success, and focus. Above all, it's what I love to do the most. I fell in love with my sport when I saw my first Ice Capades at 7 years old. It's simply what I was going to do. Arnold Schwartzeneger said the same thing about body building.

What's your life exercise? If you don't have one, why not? And, what would it be?

Replies

• addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Swimming! I love to swim, my pool pass expired, and it's not in the budget for another one right now, so I'm trying out new things- spin class, and starting to take up running.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Fellow figure skater - me someone who began at the age of 22! One of the reasons I want to lose so much weight is so that I can give my Axel a red-hot go!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'd love to skate! I tried it wholeheartedly, but my ankles just don't take it. I have nerve damage in the balance system in my feet, so I think that's why my poor ankles couldn't make up for things, lol. I was really good at it as a kid!

Mine is probably yoga, but it's hard to choose. I also like dance and lifting. I wouldn't want to give up any of them.

I had to give up kayaking and rock climbing due to a back issue (from the same nerve thing) that just does not go with them at all. Fortunately, I wasn't completely addicted to either, so it worked out OK :) I love the things I still do. I do miss the balance beam -- a lot! -- but adults don't typically keep that up anyway ;):D
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    As you can see from the video liink I posted above, I have some orthopedic issues. My jumps are not good. I had tendon ankle surgery, which messes with my ability to spring. I've had other things too, and Yoga cured me of plantar fascitus. My husband and I do P90x yoga every Sunday.

I'm afraid of rock climbing. Saw it in Yosemite, and give lots of kudos to those who are ultimately brave enough to do it!

Kayaking is something we do as a family. Also alot of paddleboarding. But, we paddle in Estero Bay, where the water is pretty brown due to tanic acid. I can't see the bottom, not even at 2 feet. And, there are occassionally gators that make it there (especially in rainy season or when they release Lake Okeechobee water). Gators are always on my mind.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Nice video OP!

I enjoy ice skating very much. When I go I go to workout, not socialize etc. I usually skate for 2 - 30 minute sessions and I skate briskly. I get a great workout in and it doesn't even feel like exercise to me. It was a challenge teaching myself how to skate at 35 yrs old and 250+ lbs, but I kept going (and falling lol) and my stamina and endurance increased more and more.

My next favorite would have to be power walking. Again when I walk and I walk briskly. I have long, strong legs so I walk as fast as many people jog out on the track.

I like both exercises because they are low impact, great cardio workout, it doesn't cost anything (other than a couple of dollars for rink time) and I like the physical results it gives my body.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Horseback riding and everything that goes with it! It doesn't usually burn that many calories, though it definitely kept me fit when I was training and in the barn all day, either riding or taking care of horses or cleaning stalls. Plus wanting to be a fit rider helps keep me motivated to do the other stuff.

I used to dance and that was really fun. I wouldn't mind picking it up again but IME a lot of the adult classes can be pretty lame-o.

I've always wanted to be better at ice skating. I've only done it a few times and all I can really do is run around, but it is fun! Same with skiing. If I still lived on the coast I'd love to surf. I keep meaning to pick up SUP as a replacement but haven't tried it yet.

Ultimately though I love animals so I'm happiest getting my workout with them, whether it's riding my horse or hiking with my dog. Not the hardest workouts but they're the only ones that don't feel like a chore.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I just started a river boot camp class that takes place in an indoor lazy river. It is no joke, you have to run against the current and do all kinds of other stuff, we even have an ab routine we do. I enjoy it because it is in the water and isn't as boring as swimming laps for me plus I burn between 500-600 calories in 45 minutes. Unfortunately this week is the last class, I will definitely be signing up for the next session.
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hi! I love to rollerblade. I used to figureskate in my teens (i'm 22 now). I used to skate during my private lessons, do free skating private sessions, and do public sessions. And rollerblade when I couldn't do that!

Now i just rollerblade, or jog :)
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have 2.... Swimming is my ultimate favorite because it works every single muscle group in your body, yet is low impact so it helps my back. My issue is I have very limited access to be able to swim so I do not get to do it as frequently as I would like.

Then there is dancing.... I love to dance and it is fabulous exercise! My gym offers Zumba classes so I have been doing those as well, and after about 2 weeks I started seeing a difference, it's awesome.
  • WinterfullyPINK
    Options
    I ♥ Dance! =)
    I have taken ballet since I was 4 years old, but I had to give it up this year because I didn't have time in my schedule for it and also it just wasn't worth ruining my back and ankles for life, =(.
    So instead of ballet, this year I started trying Modern dance style and I ♥ it even more than ballet! =). When you first begin Modern you get a lot of bruises and you often are VERY stiff the next day, but it really gets you in shape fast, =)
  • BroiledNotFried
    Options
    River Boot Camp? I've never heard of that one! It would be too interesting down here in South Florida! We have alligators to help out.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    No, no, no, I don't do gators! Aaack. My grandfather was from parts of NC that have alligators, but they strike all sorts of terror in me. Our kayaking was in a nice, tame lake, usually :) I always wanted to do it at the beach, but the next time I went, the back thing had already become a problem.

I'm afraid of heights unless I have gear on. I get more scared on some ferris wheels than I do strapped up to ropes, seriously :D Or even inside of tall buildings, at the windows! The ropes change everything for me. Bizarre, I know ;)
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Shooting baskets but I do it at a good pace. This somehow is a magic elixir for me and is my go to cardio if I can't bring myself to do anything else.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    River Boot Camp? I've never heard of that one! It would be too interesting down here in South Florida! We have alligators to help out.

I would be a bit afraid of critters in the real rivers here (N. Georgia) but fortunately this takes place in an indoor river. I personally don't like to swim in anything where I can't see my feet or what is swimming around my feet for that matter.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    If you look at my exercise diary you will see that I'm a skater too! :)

I started when I was 5. I'm 40 now so that's about 35 years, give or take a year here or there when I too a break which probably amounts to 3 or 4 years total.

I don't free skate, I can do a half flip but that's about it, and I don't like spinning, makes me want to vomit. :) I like to ice dance. I passed my last dance test this summer in fact. :) I also skate on a synchronized skating team and do 2 group classes a week so I skate a lot. I am losing this weight so I look good in a skating dress and so my partner can lift me. We plan to compete this year.

If any skaters want some friends I'm open to MFP skating pals! :)
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great video. I'm a figure skater too. I started when I was about 11 but a badly fractured knee took me out of the game when I was 14. I recently took it up again about a year ago at 39 yrs of age and am currently in freestyle 2..working on 1/2 toe walleys.. I skate with some women nearly twice my age. I can only hope that I can still skate like them when I am their age. I love it! It's challenging both mentally and physically, fun and a great workout. its a great stress reliever too. when I'm out there i feel like I'm flying. Gearing up for my first ISI competition this December. :)
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Good luck Halzuzu. 1/2 toe walleys are jumps that I can attempt too. :) I too skate with some people almost double my age. Makes you realize this is something we can do for life. Good luck at your competition.

And I love your "feel like flying" comment. That is part of the reason I love skating. I love going fast and the feeling of freedom it provides. I love getting on a really deep edge too and riding it a ways. I guess this is why i love dance.
  • BroiledNotFried
    Options
    I skate with a few ladies in their 60s and one who is almost 80! I once was visiting Denver. I took my skates and went to a rink near town. There were about 4 ice dancing couples, all over 60 years old. They were sooooo good. We're talking even choctaws at high speeds. While my lungs were burning from the change in altitude, they were just going & going & going.

Yes, we are flying when we skate. Or, at least that is what it feels like (until we see a vidoe of ourselves..lol.)

I haven't tried a walley yet. I never really did them, as I didn't do alot of footwork before. I know the concept, so that's something new to learn. Now, they want twizzles, brackets, and loops in footwork. Super hard to do at speed for me. Like football, footwork is the proof of an athlete.

Basketball posters, I love basketball. My favorite NBA sport to watch live. I was never good at it, too short. But, it's a lot like skating. Jumping, short bursts of energy, and definitely an "in the moment" sport.