The Scale Won't Budge!!!

Options
I have been using MFP for over 2 weeks now as I switched over from Sparkpeople. Here's the problem, I'm netting 1200 and not losing weight every week. I burn at least 400 calories at the gym daily. On a good day, I'll burn 700. I've come to the decision to increase my calorie intake as I found out that when I lost weight from Weight Watchers, I was eating 1500 calories and burning 280 at most, thus netting at 1220. Will increasing my net calories from 1200 to 1500 help me lose weight or gain it?

Here is where I'm confused. Which is correct A or B to lose weight?

A. 2000 calorie eaten - 500 calories burned at the gym = 1500 net calories for the entire day

B. 1000 calories eaten + 500 exercise calories eaten = 1500 net calories eaten for the day.

With B, MFP tells me that I'll lose 1.7lbs per week. If I input the numbers in A, MFP tells me that I'll lose 0.7lbs a week.

Can someone clarify this for me? I don't know which calculation is right.

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    In A, you're eating 2,000 calories and burning 500, which gives you 1500 NET calories.
    In B, you're eating 1500 calories and burning 500, which gives you 1000 NET calories.

What your calorie goal should be really depends on how much you weigh and how much you want to lose.
  • rinabina80
    rinabina80 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have 34 lbs to lose. BMI chart says I should be at 109, but in my adult life, I've never been at that weight. I want to be at 120 lbs. I take it that option A is the better choice right?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I have 34 lbs to lose. BMI chart says I should be at 109, but in my adult life, I've never been at that weight. I want to be at 120 lbs. I take it that option A is the better choice right?

If you're going to use MFP as it is intended you just input your information with the appropriate job activity level. Eat your calorie goal. Log your exercise and then eat back at least a portion of those calories. Your loss deficit is built into the number MFP gives you before ever adding any exercise. By eating back your exercise calories you're fuelling your body and keeping your original deficit in place.
  • rinabina80
    Options

If you're going to use MFP as it is intended you just input your information with the appropriate job activity level. Eat your calorie goal. Log your exercise and then eat back at least a portion of those calories. Your loss deficit is built into the number MFP gives you before ever adding any exercise. By eating back your exercise calories you're fuelling your body and keeping your original deficit in place.

Well, I went back and put my information in and this is what it says:

Nutritional Goals Goals
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,200 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 165 g
    Fat / Day 40 g
    Protein / Day 45 g

Fitness Goals Goals
    Calories Burned / Week 3,050 cal/week
    Workouts / Week 6 Workouts
    Minutes / Workout 90 mins

Your Diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,850 cal/day
    Net Calories Consumed*

Your Daily Goal 1,200 cal/day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 650 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.3 lbs/week
    * Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned

The thing is, I've been doing this for the last 2 weeks and the scale has not moved. I should have at least lost something. I wonder if 1200 calories is too low. Should I try increasing my calorie intake to where I net 1500 calories?

Also, about how much of a "portion" of the exercise calories should I eat?
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    How are you counting your calories? Are you logging everything? Are you sure your numbers are exactly accurate? Until you know exactly how many calories you're putting in your body, and exactly how many calories your body is using on an average day, you're not going to know for certain whether you've created a calorie deficit. But I'll tell you this, if "the scale won't budge", then you're not creating a calorie deficit sufficient to effect weight loss. So you're either underestimating the calories you're consuming, or overestimating the calories you're burning through exercise.

This is why I don't exercise. Every single person who comes on here saying they aren't losing weight, is also saying they're burning hundreds of calories through exercise—just so they can eat additional calories. That's a recipe for maintenance eating, not losing, I'm afraid.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you weight your food and log everything?

When did you start exercising?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn on here is generous, I was working out like a fiend ( just lifting x5) and eating 1200 and not losing, since I relaxed my workouts (lifting x2 and HIIT) it's starting moving again so could be you have too much of a calorie decifit.

But listen to Sara ^^^^^^^ what she doesn't know isn't worth knowing :smile:
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think you put in to lose 2lbs a week right? Perhaps change the goal to be losing .5 lbs a week and eat at that level. People who dont have much weight to lose shouldnt try to be too aggressive with their weight loss. The only thing you can do if you plateau at 1200 is increase calories. Or you can start eating at higher caloric levels, less deficit, and gradually decrease as you lose weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should check is accuracy. Are you using a food scale for all foods and measuring spoons and cups for free pouring liquids? If not, start there.

Second, how are you determining your calorie burns?

Third, beginning an exercise program can cause water retention, which can mask fat loss.

Finally, be patient. Weight can fluctuate several pounds per day due to sodium, exercise, hormones, food in your digestive tract, etc. Give it a month before you decide it isn't working.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try the TDEE-20% method, as you don't need to log exercise that way - which makes things simpler. There's a calculator at www.fat2fitradio.com
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try the TDEE-20% method, as you don't need to log exercise that way - which makes things simpler. There's a calculator at www.fat2fitradio.com

This but I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

So much easier than MFP.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    But with TDEE you would need to select appropriate activity level and make sure to re calculate as you lose weight or any change in activity level+ you do not eat back exercise calories with this method
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on your workouts, you may just be gaining some muscle, which can stall weight loss. Are you starting to see changes in your build (i.e. more definition in arms, core, legs, etc)?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on your workouts, you may just be gaining some muscle, which can stall weight loss. Are you starting to see changes in your build (i.e. more definition in arms, core, legs, etc)?

Highly doubtful. If the OPs caloric intake is correct at netting ~1200-1500 calories they aren't gaining muscle. There may be some noob gains, but putting on muscle is extremely hard and with eating so little (along with being female which makes it even harder to gain) the OP isn't going to pack on enough muscle mass to stall out the scale.
  • clarkie57
    clarkie57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories to function during the day. Its suggested that you dont fall below that amount. but if you want I would suggest you try each and see what works, if you lose weight.
    I recently had the same struggle no matter what i did the scale did not work. I was not doing WW however. I have in the past and it worked but i have found for ME anyway, i cant just go with the XX points a day. There are certain foods i should avoid ( gluten and dairy, with the exception of FF yogurt) I also just hired a personal trainer who said i may be doing too much cardio. All i was doing was working my heart and lungs. We are incorporating some metobolic training ( which is a good cardio anyway) and changing my diet up a bit ( more snacks during the day). Maybe some of those might work for you as well, just suggestions, good luck.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also check your daily water intake..makes a huge difference in my weight loss progress. You may also be loosing inches so be sure to measure.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing this "your body needs at least 1200 calories a day" paradigm being thrown around like it's solid scientific fact, unassailable. That's absurd, because each person's lower calorie limit is dependent on many factors, and there is no one magic number under which everyone's wheels come off. That's like the whole "eight glasses of water a day" thing—it's certainly a widely dispersed bit of wisdom, but what's the real science behind it? Truth is, for very tall males, 1200 might be way too low, and for very short older women, 1200 might be closer to maintenance than many people would like to believe. Every person's numbers are going to be slightly different, and even if you get your numbers from MFP or other sites, you still have to test them out in your real life and see if they work. Of course, that means you have to measure everything accurately. :wink:

Basically, if a young person of average height is netting around 1200 calories a day, that person will lose weight, barring some rather uncommon medical conditions. If a young person of average height is not losing weight, that person is either not netting around 1200 calories a day, or that person has a rather uncommon medical condition. So, the choices are a) go to the doctor and b) count calories in and calories out accurately or c) both. :flowerforyou:
  • rinabina80
    Options
    Do you weight your food and log everything?

When did you start exercising?

I weigh everything and I started exercising around the middle of August.
  • rinabina80
    Options
    The first thing you should check is accuracy. Are you using a food scale for all foods and measuring spoons and cups for free pouring liquids? If not, start there.

Second, how are you determining your calorie burns?

Third, beginning an exercise program can cause water retention, which can mask fat loss.

Finally, be patient. Weight can fluctuate several pounds per day due to sodium, exercise, hormones, food in your digestive tract, etc. Give it a month before you decide it isn't working.

1. I have a measuring scale and use measuring spoons

2. I use a FT4 Polar watch
  • rinabina80
    Options

Yes. My husband said my body is getting curvier. LOL.