Plantar Fascia Strain: New excercises needed urgently!

Options
2»

Replies

• Jane33572
    Jane33572 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stevepound
    stevepound Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump

whats bump?!
  • stevepound
    Options
    thanks Nich0le. I took a look at the site, and it says about the stretching etc. I cant find where it says about keeping on running tho :-(
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to run a little distance. I completed a few half and full marathons. After taking a break in which I gained 15 pounds I started to run hard again and I developed plantar. I wasn't smart enough to take a break and rest in and made it worse. it took roughly 18 months for me to stop walking like an old man. I would get out of my car and everything would have tightened up on me. I wondered if it was permanent - if I would ever overcome it..

Well I'm 100% today so I can assure you that it will be ok. If you choose to run, do it in a pool. Otherwise switch to cardio for awhile that doesn't involve your foot striking the ground. Use the stretches that were pointed out... Whenever you aren't doing anythingjust sit there with your foot on the floor dragging your toes towards you with your heel in place.

It will get better..
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you spend a lot of time on your feet (like at work), see if your insurance company will cover custom orthotics. I have PF in both feet and heel spurs on both feet that are huge. I had custom orthotics made 7 years ago and have not had a major problem since. During the summer I will get a few twinges when I wear flip flops or go barefoot too much. The bad news is that once you have PF it never goes away....you will always be at risk of it flaring up.
  • myshadow33
    myshadow33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem mine is getting alot better. It's very important especially before your feet hit the floor in the morning to sit on the edge of your bed bend your leg and place the hurting foot across the opposite knee, pull all of your toes back stretching your foot and deeply message the chord in the center of your foot. It will be painful at first but stretching the tendon is vital to the healing process and can be done many times throughout the day. It's also very important to wear very comfortable shoes with good arch support and never go bare foot. An elliptical trainer or bike riding are good forms of excercise that don't put alot of stress on the heal...swimming is good too. It will take some time but if you're consistant it will get better.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    For me it all started with plantar fasciitis. The best cardio exercise for someone with plantar fasciitis is swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete. I have finished my first olympic triathlon race two months ago.
    There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not necessarily work for the other.
    I have found taping very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine and exercises.
    I found a very informative website in:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com
    Take care & Good luck
  • stevepound
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your input. Im currently sitting in bed now with a vibrating massager on both feet. I dont have any trouble with it. Just in the morning and at night they are a bit tight. Ive learnt how to tape them up now which has helped. And also the stretches are really good. I just really want to go running again, Ive not been running for a month now, and I was doing really well with it. How long do you think it will take to get better, given that its not giving me too much trouble, and ive started treating it early?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    One thing no one mentioned that worked for me was acupuncture. My sister-in-law is an acupunturist, and i was very skepticle that it would do anything, but after4 months of pain, I was ready to try anything. I had 1 treatment in 2006, and I haven't had a problem with it since.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your input. Im currently sitting in bed now with a vibrating massager on both feet. I dont have any trouble with it. Just in the morning and at night they are a bit tight. Ive learnt how to tape them up now which has helped. And also the stretches are really good. I just really want to go running again, Ive not been running for a month now, and I was doing really well with it. How long do you think it will take to get better, given that its not giving me too much trouble, and ive started treating it early?

I had PF a few years ago when I was marathon training. When I saw the podiatrist he told me it was fine to run. Once you warm up the fascia (about a mile into the run for me), it would stop hurting (as it gets *cold* it tightens up). Then make sure to stretch REALLY well, rub a bouncy or tennis ball or frozen water bottle over the bottoms of your feet, and make sure you are wearing the right kind of shoes. I ended up completing the marathon even while dealing w/ PF. It was the worst in the morning, it felt like I was walking on broken glass. Also, naproxen (aka ALEVE) is what he recommended to take instead of Advil.

Good luck!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I had crippling PF last year when I was training, the sports doc/ortho told me to use heat before I run/work out and ice after. It really helped a lot. There are some stretches that help too, even calf raises or just rolling your feet can help. Swimming is your best bet if it gets too bad. Good luck :)
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've had PF for a while, and since I'm trying to get into running I definitely want to check out the links and info here :)

I been really bad since March, when I discovered that, strangely enough, Yellowbox flip flops were AMAZING! My Mom sent me a pair in the mail because she thought they might help me, and when I got them I had actually been in total pain with every step I took for several days. I was contemplating getting crutches, because everything the doctor told me to do wasn't working. Anyway, tried on the flip flops (they are a really soft, mold to your feet type of material) and from the first step there was instant relief! They have been great for casual walking, but now that I am trying to get more serious about exercise I will have a little strain now and then.

I am definitely gonna try taping my foot, seems like that should help a lot :)
  • Michelle_A_Richmond
    Options
    I had PF for several months and tried a lot of different things (ice bath, ice/hot bath back and forth, a splint, rolling my foot on a frozen juice can, orthotics, etc.). The only thing that has helped me is rolling my foot on this small foam roller called a Tiger Tail (I got mine from Amazon). You stand up and stabilize yourself against a wall with your arm, and roll your foot wherever you feel pain. You have to put quite a bit of pressure wherever there is pain but just stay in those spots for about 10-20 seconds until the pain starts to subside, then do tiny rolls, then larger rolls over the whole bottom of your foot. Do it just like you would use a large foam roller. I do this before and after working out and it has helped tremendously. It hurts until you get used to it, then it's like it "hurts so good"! Your foot will get really warm after doing this and feel amazing. Use quite a bit of pressure, like you are practically standing on the roller. You won't be sorry!
  • Michelle_A_Richmond
    Options
    Update on my last post here - I foam roll more regularly now and am pretty much healed! I walked 11.5 miles the other night with my husband so that should tell you how well it works. We have been running a little bit also. :) Hope you have also found a solution.