Looking for a fitness buddy/advice

Options
Hey! New here and I have a few questions. I'm currently looking for someone to be a fitness buddy (preferably female but male is fine) and preferably someone with a tad more experience than I. I'm slightly clueless on how to lose weight. I also have a few questions:

A little about me:
-female
-220 lbs
-very little physical activity (changing that)
-smoker (planning on changing that too)
-5'8

1. My ultimate goal is 140-150 or a healthy size 10. I would like to be smaller but I feel that 10 is a more realistic goal for now, and if I feel that I need to lose more when I get there, permitting its still healthy I will. What is a realistic time frame for this. 2 lbs a week? I don't mind if it take longer, I prefer quality or quantity.

2. As a smoker, exercising is extremely difficult. I'm out of breath before I can really get started. Does any one have any recommendations on how I can still exercise but still be able to breath lol?

Sorry the post is so long, I had a lot of concerns. :happy:

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for making the decision for your new lifestyle! I was a long term smoker when I started exercising regularly a couple of years ago. I quit smoking a couple of months later.

It takes a while. I muscled through, but started with what I could do. Walking and weights. If you can walk a mile in xx minutes, do that a few times a week. Increase distance. Increase speed. Work with a trainer if that is an option for you. If not, get a DVD, or get exercises from UTube. Don't over do, you might hurt yourself or just burn out. You can do it - I did starting at age 49. Feel free to add me if you want a buddy. Good luck!

For weight loss, it is mostly about creating a calorie deficit. It is hard to do that primarily through exercise, you likely will have to reduce calorie intake as well. Lots of ways to do that, you need to experiment to see what works best for you. 2 pounds a week for now is probably an ok target, but it will go down as you get closer to goal. Also, weight loss is not linear. You will have Ups and downs, just stick with it and if you dont have results in 2 or 3 weeks, tweak something or ask for advice. Lots of very smart and experienced people here!
  • mrscool5
    Options
    In terms of physical activity, start small. If you do a little bit every day you'll start noticing it seems easier. Then you'll do more without even thinking about it. I have gone from getting out of breath on any kind of incline to being able to speed up on an incline if I feel like it (like when I'm really getting in a groove) and I can "trot" on my WII fit doing the bicycle ride or the run (trot in "" because my trot/run probably looks more like a lumber, LOL) for 20-30 minutes non stop.

The "average" weight loss for most plans and such is 1-2 pounds a week. I figure slow and steady is probably the best way to go.

I've read a lot of times that quitting smoking makes a lot of people eat more and/or gain weight. So you might want to pick one thing and get used to that, then do the other.
  • sineadkoriana
    sineadkoriana Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbonica! I think my calorie intake might be best at around 1500-1200 ish, however I still need to do more research and modify it to whatever my exercise regimen is going to be. I definitely want to start with walking since today I tried jogging and it didn't really end all that great. Came to the conclusion that I was more out of shape than I thought, so its going to be a process. However they say it only takes two weeks to form a habit, hopefully my next one will be a healthy one!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Best thing .. really quit smoking. Your body will love you for it.
  • sineadkoriana
    Options
    mrscool5- I've heard that too, however I find that when I don't smoke I actually eat less. I want to try to start with exercising and losing some weight, then trying to kick this nasty habit. Its already taking a physical toll, and I want to have a family one day! I've heard some really good things about Wii Fit and I'm very interested in trying it! I much rather working out at home unless its walking/jogging.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    You really have a great attitude! When I started, I was 210lb's. I lost it with Zumba. I love it!!! I'm an instructor now, it's so much fun. Trying to get the last 20lb's off now, and it's a serious struggle! Also trying to build muscle at the same time, so I may never reach my goal weight, but as long as I keep burning that fat, that's all that really matters. Good luck to you, I think you'll do great if you keep that attitude. You can add me if you like. :D
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of friends that switched to vaping instead of smoking.
    Cold turkey worked for me. It was a smokeless habit which some say is worse. I was just more addicted to food.
    After doing so many healthy things the first couple of months on mfp I quit my habit just a few days before my 43rd birthday.

Start out walking. Increase the distance each week. Then check into a c25k running program.
    It will help you run and prepare you for a 5k race.
    In fact, sign up for a race that will help motivate you. At least it did for me and some of my pals.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    When I first came I had no clue. I have been here a year and know so much fitness information it's not funny. U will get a load of fun on here while u lose the pounds.....:drinker:
  • healthismygame2
    Options
    Hi, hope this finds you well this evening!! Welcome to MyFitnessPal and the world of a healthy life. I'm happy to try to help you. My journey began June 24, 2011 and it has been the most amazing, life-altering experience. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Remember YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • sineadkoriana
    Options
    Thanks! You look amazing btw. I'm so jelly!! :)
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ahh.. someone like me! I'm 5'10" around the same weight. I'd love to be your friend!
  • Nikkilb23
    Nikkilb23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 12years and a lot, now I’m on my 4th year of smoke free. I Never thought I could quit smoking. It changed everything. I started walking and jogging. I have since then did 3 full marathons. Never in a million years did I think that would happen! Just start slow, you can make it happen. You will feel Great!! Looking for more friends :smile:
  • tessshantel
    Options
    Hey! Can' believe I found your post, looks like were in the same boat! I'm 239, but I want to be 150. I am 23 years old, have some experiance in loosing weight. When I was a young teen I went from 180 something to 120. I defintaly would love to be your fitness buddy so add me :)
    And about the exercise? I would start with pilates, begginner. Get a DVD , they are stretches that help you tone up and burn fat.

hope that helped!
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. I'm not a smoker but I can offer and advice (not an expert though lol but tried about everything) or support and my diary is open to friends as well. I trying to lose 25-30 more lbs.
  • Kvj205
    Kvj205 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey, you can add me, I'm looking for a fitness buddy in NYC.
  • mshekinah
    mshekinah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the decision for a healthier life. Don't change too many things at once or it won't stick. One step at a time. I'd start by walking and eventually add some light weight lifting in. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so if you build your muscle weight loss will be easier.

This app is great! Just be consistent. Simple things to start with are drinking 8 full glasses of water a day (add fruit for a little taste), eating less packaged food, more veggies and whole grains. I'm looking at this paleo diet, but probably a little extreme for you for now. The philosophy is that we can't digest all this processed food so we keep overeating looking for the nutrients our body craves. Good luck!
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    youre welcome to add me :)