Fitbit or HR Monitor?

Options
So I'm re-starting my weight loss journey and I am wanting to get either a fitbit or hr monitor. My question is which one would be best for tracking my activity and helping me lose weight?

Thanks for any suggestions =]

Replies

• NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I hope you get some replies because I hope to find out the same!! I have a Polar hrm that I like, but I'd love to know more about the Fitbit and if people prefer one or the other :)
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am a fitbit One user... Sooo...I have to say a fitbit (best ivestment I have made :happy: )...however, HRM and fitbit are for 2 different uses. Fitbit is for all day long tracking (calories, steps, floors, miles great for walking and running); HRm is for all other activity and not for all day use. I think a lot of people have both to compliment each other.

Most of the activity I do is walking or running so fitbit is a good fit for me.

Best of luck!
  • TheMadameMorris
    TheMadameMorris Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I like my heart rate monitor because it tracks my workout calories based on how hard my heart is working. My Fitbit is good for tracking all day progress though. If you plan on upping your activity all throughout the day, I would say get a Fitbit. If you're planning on having scheduled workouts, go for the HRM.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kinds of exercise you will be doing. I have both. I use my fitbit during my workday just to keep track of my steps and as good reminder to get up and walk around more. I use my HRM for specific workouts. For example, if I'm going to do Zumba, then I want my HRM to tell me my caloric burn. But if I'm going to run a mile or even go out and walk the dog, the fitbit can keep track of your caloric burn. I tend to do things like Zumba, cycling, and Insanity or Focus T25 workouts, I prefer my HRM for those.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more!

Good luck! Feel free to friend me on here.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Are you consistently weighing and logging your food?
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This is a common thread (I believe). I have Polar watch. Which you really only wear when you are exercising. The Fitbit ( I believe) counts your steps and monitors your sleep. Since it doesn't have a heart rate--I don't think it will be as accurate as the Polar. Just my 2 cents. I kind of want both :)
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    From the sounds of it I'm thinking a hr monitor is more for me. I go to the gym 3 days a week and then sometimes I do the dancing games on Xbox so it sounds like a hr monitor would be more useful for me. Thank you all for your replies =]
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm not being smart :wink: but do run a search on the old posts, this question pops in at least once a week and there are some great comparisons done before.

They are different devices aimed at different things. I have both polar HRM and fitbit One, and never use the HRM anymore while the fitbit is like an extension of me:smile:
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I like my heart rate monitor because it tracks my workout calories based on how hard my heart is working. My Fitbit is good for tracking all day progress though. If you plan on upping your activity all throughout the day, I would say get a Fitbit. If you're planning on having scheduled workouts, go for the HRM.
    This really is the perfect answer.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    So I'm re-starting my weight loss journey and I am wanting to get either a fitbit or hr monitor. My question is which one would be best for tracking my activity and helping me lose weight?

Thanks for any suggestions =]

For tracking your all day activity--the fitbit. Especially if seeing stats on how active you are motivates you to move more. I've had a fitbit for a few years and a HRM before that. I wasn't dieting the whole time but I've been able to lose or maintain weight using my fitbit as a tool.

For tracking aerobic workouts--the heart rate monitor especially if you do heart rate training. I use both a fitbit and a HRM. For me the two actually agree on calorie burn for a lot of step based activities including very brisk walking, jogging, jumping rope, cardio kickboxing class, aerobic drills workouts using exercises like jumping jacks and aerobic dancing with lots of steps and hops. I was really surprised at how well fitbit does for me with jumping activities like skipping rope. The triaxis accelerometer in it tracks movement forward and back, up and down and left to right so it must be that it credits up and down movement heavily. I do also use my HRM because I like tracking the heart rate data and I use it for the calorie burn for activities fitbit does't track well such as rowing or cycling.

For weight loss--either or neither is fine. Weight loss is mostly about diet. Either one can help you make sure your activity is factored into your MFP plan. But people have lost weight without any devices. I think for people that have active jobs/lifestyle or are not sure how active they are the fitbit can be a little more useful as you are not dependent on subjective self defined activity levels. If both broke and I could only replace one--it would be my fitbit but I would really miss my HRM.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    This is a common thread (I believe). I have Polar watch. Which you really only wear when you are exercising. The Fitbit ( I believe) counts your steps and monitors your sleep. Since it doesn't have a heart rate--I don't think it will be as accurate as the Polar. Just my 2 cents. I kind of want both :)

I have both... the Fitbit stays on me all day long except during my planned workouts. The HRM is worn during workouts to help me accurately calculate burn whilst exercising (because sometimes the MFP numbers are way off).

I originally got the Fitbit One to monitor my sleep (and use it every night... it is invaluable in helping me see trends and helping me make sure I'm getting enough quality sleep), but have learned to adore it because of the daily step counter and 'credit' it gives me for the incidental exercise I get just moving around during my day. I also like that it links directly to MFP and registers my activity for me.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I've had both and now just use the Fitbit which I really highly rate as I'm generally just a big fidget through the day and love the fact I get to know exactly what calories I can eat back every day (I use the Fitbit to maintain with and it is spot on in accuracy).

The HRM was brilliant for intense workouts. I used it to train for a half marathon and it was a very useful tool.

Generally I would suggest that you get both but get the one most useful to you first - do you want to see what you burn in a day (Fitbit) or do you want something to accurately log intense (not strength) exercise (HRM)?
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have both, and as others have said, the focus is different for each.

For me, I get more use out of my Fitbit, since I am not quite as dedicated as I ought to be when it comes to maintaining a workout regimen. The Fitbit keeps me accountable all day, though, and has been invaluable in helping me figure out exactly how active I am and what my TDEE really is on a day-to-day basis (I've had days recently where it was basically my BMR, and days where it was more than double).

Plus, my parents and two of my best friends have Fitbits also. I've found that my competitive streak (MUST BEAT THEM) is an additional factor in keeping me active :)
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    So I think I'll get both (boyfriend can get me one for christmas lol) so my next question to those of you who use both is how would I use them together? Wear the fitbit all day and then just the hrm while at the gym?
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yes - wear the Fitbit all the time (unless swimming) and then wear the HRM during some workouts (word is they are NOT great for estimating calories during weight workouts). I don't put my HRM on for many workouts (elliptical, bike, treadmill) because I'm pretty routine, it was always ending up about the same. It is just a bit of a pain (to me) to put on, so I only wear it now if I don't have other feedback (from a machine) or on a new workout.

I always wear my Fitbit, and (not always, again, my numbers are often almost identical from workout to workout) will "record an activity" which will give you exact numbers to compare to any other estimate (HRM, Machine, MFP, etc). If you feel you want to override the Fitbit with different numbers, you can.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is great info. I'll stick with my HR Monitor, but would love to try a Fitbit to see what people love about it.
  • eurorunner
    Options
    I have both ... I love my fitbit!!!! It's great for everyday all day use to keep you on track . HR is great to see actual calorie burn. I did a T 25 work out Fitbit 173 cal , HR 405 cal. So it's quite a difference . So I can make sure I eat enough food to keep that burn going.