Low Carbers -More Important - Calories or Carbs?

Options
While I concede that lower calories controls most weight loss, I am only really successful when cutting my carbs to 20% or less of my daily intake, right now I am controlling them between 100 - 150 grams a day and am losing steadily...however, there are days when my high protein/high fat eating makes it hard to stay at or below my 2000 calorie limit (which supports a decent deficit from my BMR)...so what do you think, carbs or calories more important?

Replies

• garbagedog
    Options
    I would say that if cutting carbs is working for you, keep focusing on carbs. I have found that when I cut carbs in my diet, my calories actually reduced along with it, but I wasn't adding in a lot of fat. Really, aside from peanut butter and nut snacks, I wasn't adding any additional fats at all. I ate lean meats, fruits and veggies.

A point to make, however, is that, when I was on the low-carb diet it was because I had gestational diabetes. With that diet, I barely gained any weight during my pregnancy despite eating six times a day (three meals and three snacks). That means, really, I was losing some weight myself because my baby ended up being almost 9 lbs.! :)
  • blcgrace
    blcgrace Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Calories always.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see how accurate your calorie and carb tracking have been.

Funny thing about cutting carbs: generally speaking, you also cut a LOT of calories in the process. Hmmmmm...:huh:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Calories are everything. It is extremely easy to gain weight on a low carb eating plan.