How to calculate actual BMR for me?

Options
BMR is calculated based on the age, sex, height, weight.. I'm wondering how accurate is that. A person of same age, sex, height and weight may not always have the same metabolic rate I guess.. the reason why I ask this is, my whole fat-loss plan is based on the BMR calculation of 1650 cals/day.. And my net intake is around 1500 for deficiency. So what if my actual BMR was 1500 because of factors other than age, sex, height, weight.. I'd end up not having a calorie-deficit. Is there a more accurate calculation for BMR? I'm just brainstorming on the reasons why I see very less progress despite strict dieting and regular exercise for a while.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    there is no way to know what any one's actuall BMR is, unles you take a very expensie test in a lab. That is why there is a standard that every one uses.

There is a simple way to tell if you are burning fat or not. Ketosis & Ketone. check out the site below for more info on it.

Ketosis & Ketone Test Strips
    http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Yes, it requires a test to determine your BMR. You should also check with your physician ( I trust you have cleared your weight loss program with one) to eliminate other impediments to your weight loss, such as a thyroid condition.
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert (so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe you need a 500 calories deficit to lose 1 pound a week. If you only have a 150 calorie deficit then you would only be losing about 1/3 a pound a week. That's not much. I know you're not supposed to go below 1200 calories a day but that would be a 450 calorie deficit so it should bump you up to almost a pound a week. That would motivate me a lot more. Good luck!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think you're confusing BMR with maintenance calories (also called TDEE). The BMR is the base calories needed to sustain body functions while having zero activity. Zero activity, as in bedridden.

TDEE is your BMR plus a daily activity level of calories. Weight loss deficit is subtracted from your TDEE NOT your BMR.

HTH.
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in...I did have the BMR test at a weight loss clinic (it was covered by my insurance) and it gave me the same amount of calories as MFP did!
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think you're confusing BMR with maintenance calories (also called TDEE). The BMR is the base calories needed to sustain body functions while having zero activity. Zero activity, as in bedridden.

TDEE is your BMR plus a daily activity level of calories. Weight loss deficit is subtracted from your TDEE NOT your BMR.

HTH.

Yup...I'm no expert. Thanks for the clarification.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert (so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe you need a 500 calories deficit to lose 1 pound a week. If you only have a 150 calorie deficit then you would only be losing about 1/3 a pound a week. That's not much. I know you're not supposed to go below 1200 calories a day but that would be a 450 calorie deficit so it should bump you up to almost a pound a week. That would motivate me a lot more. Good luck!

Well that would be 500 calories per day deficit as it is 3500 calories per week to lose 1lb. I know exactly what you meant though x
  • sandeepnair
    Options
    Thank you people, I haven't really checked with a physicial yet.. so that'd be in my to-do list this week.

I would love to eat just 1200 calories and have 450 deficit (my BMR is 1650). However, I read that minimum calorie intake for men per day is 1500 and women is 1200. And they warn me if I go below 1500 I won't be loosing any fat as the body will assume I'm going through a famine or something.. :) I think they are right because before my diet plan started I used to net around 1000 most of the weekdays when I'm working and I only gained fat over years.. So probably I have to wait for months to see any visible difference..
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Thank you people, I haven't really checked with a physicial yet.. so that'd be in my to-do list this week.

I would love to eat just 1200 calories and have 450 deficit (my BMR is 1650). However, I read that minimum calorie intake for men per day is 1500 and women is 1200. And they warn me if I go below 1500 I won't be loosing any fat as the body will assume I'm going through a famine or something.. :) I think they are right because before my diet plan started I used to net around 1000 most of the weekdays when I'm working and I only gained fat over years.. So probably I have to wait for months to see any visible difference..

Your BMR is not the same as your maintenence calories. Your maintenance calories are your BMR + daily activity (that's activity, not exercise). 1500 is a pretty sizable deficit for a man.
  • sandeepnair
    Options
    I see, I get the point now.. I saw this from google search:

Activity Multiplier

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) multiply BMR by 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days per week) multiply your BMR by 1.375
    If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days per week) multiply your BMR by 1.55
    If you take heavy exercise (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days per week) multiply your BMR by 1.725

So given my BMR of 1650 with sedentary activity, my maintenance calories will be 2000, and 1500 is like 500 deficit.. great enough for 1 lbs/week.. my progress is gradual than expected with this deficit, but I do see some progress..

Great info.. You guys are awesome!! I'm so glad I found this site.