The one thing you did that made the difference?

Options
As of today, I'm down 20 lbs, with 10 more to go to hit my goal.

The startling thing to me is that I did that in exactly 3 months, after about 3 years of ups and downs that got me nowhere, all while using MFP.

When I think about what's different this time, it's that I managed to get myself out of bed at 5 AM every day so I had time to exercise before work. To make it more of a habit, I now get up at 5AM 7 days a week, just for the discipline. So, no gym membership (I work out in my garage), no changes to net calorie goals, no major changes to the kinds of food I eat to hit that goal, just getting my *kitten* out of bed an hour earlier than I used to. Lots of other habits were then altered as a result, but that one thing was the key.

I'm guessing other people who have at least started to see success after many false starts might have similar stories. What was the one (or two) things you did, changed, or added that finally got you somewhere?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise was it for me as well. I don't get up early to do it, but adding in routine exercise was the change I made. I wasn't overeating by much so the deficit created by the exercise was enough to get me to goal.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Exercise here too. I lost a few pounds but did not see or feel it until I started to exercise regularly. Everything seemed to firm up and my clothes fit better. I started after work but it was too hot in the summer. I also find early morning to be my best time.
  • bradfocm
    bradfocm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i tried many diets and failed. I joined a running group that is serious about performance improvement (even if u r slow). The coach is very tough NE English man (Sunderland). We race 49 times per year. And if times are not improving, he weighs us and checks our log book. If we don't show up, we are removed form the group. I lost 45 lbs and weigh 170lbs now. All my cholesterol and blood sugar numbers are now normal. that was 4 /12 years ago. And the 45 lbs was lost in first 6 months after racing various distances 16 times.

If you can run, then this is a good way to lose and control your weight. And racing is a key component of this program. You have to be working to improve your times over all distances. And as you get older, the WAVA Age Grading computations which can be found on the web allow you to work to improve or maintain your WAVA %. I went from a 52% WAVA at age 44 to a best WAVA of 73% and trying hard to maintain that speed or improve if possible.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The thing that made the biggest difference to me was joining a nice gym that is about 2 minutes from my house.

It was more expensive but it got me started on weight training and I was able to start swimming again. It has by far been what influenced my recent success and hopefully will keep me on the wagon for a good long while
  • jillr527
    jillr527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same experience. Exercise has been the thing that made the difference. I make it a priority, and it does change the way I look at what I eat. For example, when hubs makes waffles Sunday morning, all I can think is, "Ugh, how do I work out after eating that?!?"
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Instead of saying I would do it, I did it.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I have been at this for a year and a half and recently I am noticing big changes when I get enough sleep. At least 7-8 hours.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The 2 things that made a difference in my weight loss this time is portion control and exercise.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Changing what I did for exercise. I used to run, but even though my body adapted pretty quickly to it I still continued to run at the same pace and distance. I purchased a couple of DVDs that I liked, started to do circuit training, and have been lifting for the past 5 months. Now, I hardly run except if I feel like taking in some trail scenery--I just like doing other stuff more. So now, when I think about waking up early to exercise, I look forward to doing something fun.
  • peachcats
    Options
    The one thing that made the difference for me was that I ate less.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Joining Team in Training changed my life. I not only got into better shape since I was training for my first full marathon, but I gained a lovely support group and friends.
  • CristyinMiami
    CristyinMiami Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What made a difference in even getting started is that I cut out fast food completely. I kept getting pulled back with it. Its been a whole 6 months and I haven't touched it. This led me to make healthier choices. :)
  • sandiegocali1
    sandiegocali1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cut down on cardio, started lifting weights and weigh everything with a scale.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Three things that made a big difference for me:

1. Counting and logging calories. Before I either guesstimated, ate unbalanced diets or tried doing it with just exercise.
    2. Replaced sweet drinks, like iced tea, with water.
    3. Using a scale, when I can, to weigh what I eat.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you are really serious about losing weight and getting healthy I think it helps to incorporate more than one lifestyle change to get you to your goal. Here are the top three things that made the biggest difference in my weight loss journey:

1. Ate at a deficit/portion control......(you won't die or go in to starvation mode....I promise :bigsmile:
    2. Cut way back on carbs/sugar/processed foods (kept carbs at 75-100g per day for weightloss)
    3. Moved my body 5-6 days a week. Kept mixing up the exercise to keep my body guessing. If you can, lift heavy stuff!

No food was off limits...if I wanted it I would make it work in my macros. Currently in maintenance. Went from a size 14/16 to a size 4.

:flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1. Ate at a deficit/portion control......(you won't die or go in to starvation mode....I promise :bigsmile:

Eating at a deficit and controling portions mean I won't die? :huh:

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
  • billsyts
    billsyts Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking any caffeine beverages. I started sleeping much better, and my appetite was kept under control.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Instead of saying I would do it, I did it.

exactly that. *points above*
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Exercise was NOT the problem for me. I refused to look at portion sizes-calories. Once I started using MFP, the changes were almost instant.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I stopped lying to myself and making excuses all the time.