Staying Active with a Desk Job

Options
I have a desk job, makes it difficult to stay active. Anyone have any suggestions of how to stay active while being stuck at a boring/lazy desk job?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that you don't spend all your waking hours at your job so plan at least 30 minutes a day for doing some sort of activity. Depending on how your job works you could go for a walk at lunch to get some activity in during the day.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Assuming you work 8 hours a day with 1 hour lunch, the law makes a requirement for two 15-minute breaks. Spend the breaks and lunch walking. That's what I do. Or if it's too cold/hot outside, do some sit-ups or pushups in your cubicle. I also do this. Some people look at me weird, but then again, I'm the one that's fit, not them.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I workout each morning at 6am before work - then take a walk around lunch to run errands if I have time, get up once and hour and walk around and talk to people, etc. After work is the same thing - it's pretty easy to stay active, if you want it. If you are chained to your desk then make up for it when you are not at work.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of time to be active to make up for the sedentary 8 hrs I spend at my desk. I cycle to/from work. I workout when I get home. At work I walk to go speak to other people rather than pick up the phone or email, always take stairs instead of lifts and go for a brisk walk at lunch when the weather allows. I'll also do some body weight squats while on toilet breaks to get the blood circulating as I tend to get cold when inactive.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I walk on my lunch breaks. But i also work out at home in the evening. I really hate a desk job. It is so easy to pack on the pounds if you don't watch it
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i work 8 hours min with a 30 minute lunch. The last few weeks when i go to the washroom, i will do a set or two of squats. While I am making coffee or tea, I will work in some lunges, or calf raises. And every once and a while, I will get up and stretch out my whole body.
    I also work out when i get home from work, and some mornings at 5

find a way that works best for you, and stick with it
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just go to the gym after work....
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I just go to the gym before work and on certain days I run when I get home. Assuming an 8 hour day you still have 2/3 not stuck behind a desk.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I skip a couple of train stations and get an hour's brisk walking in after work.

I also take the stairs instead of the elevator, given the number of meetings on various floors we have it soon adds up.

I'm also not big on eating during the working day, I prefer to have the majority of my allowance in the evening. This means I automatically cut out any desire for the various temptations of the city. There are exceptions but not many.

As long as I stick to this progress is good.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    i have a desk job too so i get up early to workout then go for walks on my lunch break at least 3 days out of the week
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunchbreak every day.

Started out as a thing to do to lose weight, now I do it mostly because I enjoy getting away from my desk for a bit.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I do my circuit training in the morning before work. (Desk job)

I park as far away as possible.

I also wear a pedometer at work and go for walks during lunch breaks.
  • corridor7f
    Options
    I go for a 30 minute walk on my lunch, take the stairs rather than the elevator, get up and walk a bit every hour / stretch and bring a healthy lunch / snacks.

I also walk about 10 minutes to a further streetcar stop before and after work.

Not much else you can do..