Controlling cravings at work

Options
I work at a gas station currently and I can't seem to go even a day without buying something. I always see fit people buying sodas and candy and I end up caving and getting some too.

I try to drink water to fill myself up but even if I'm full sometimes I'll buy a bag of chips anyway. I never used to eat like this before I worked here and I have no idea what to do. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There's nothing saying you can't eat any of that stuff as long as your are accounting for it in your food diary. If it is above and beyond your everyday calories, it will have an effect on your weight loss. Build it into your daily calories and enjoy your treat. If it helps, try to keep it to one treat per day.

Some of those skinny people are "skinny fat" people and are very unhealthy. Not all of them, but some of them.
  • chewenvy
    chewenvy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I own a pizza shop, so I totally understand how hard it is to work around deliciousness. I cut pizzas all night and oh man they smell so amazing!!
    here are some tips that I have come to realise:
    1) Take healthy snacks/lunch whatever so you don't have a lack of healthy alternatives as an excuse
    2) I take my breaks out back away from the temptation so I feel less like I am missing out
    3) I don't let staff eat their staff meals in the kitchen so I can't be tempted to join them
    4) I keep myself busy!! I try to aim to have my snacks/meals at a certain point in my night so I don't wolf down my tea at 5pm and then I'm starving at 10pm and make a pizza to take home. It's like a goal for me, and if I feel like I need to eat immediately then I just keep myself busy. I have an extras for experts list for me and my staff so if I need to to turn to that for ideas to occupy me and scrub floors or wash windows or something. I'm telling ya, the store looks spectacular when I'm dieting.
    5) I also try and fill up on water which is less satisfying taste-wise, i know, but I definitely crave those ice cold bottles of coke in the fridge more when I'm thirsty.

I also find that once I get a few really good successful days it gets easier because I don't wanna ruin my hard work. I try to remember that nothing tastes as good as meeting my weight loss goals feels.

Maybe you can try not taking money or eftpos cards to work so you can't buy anything?

I hope this helps, I know it's a struggle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you know you will crave stuff, preplan for it. I fill out my food diary the night before. So if I want chips or a chocolate bar, I adjust my plan to incorporate it. You can eat dirty and still be fit. I fit a klondike into my plans every night. Still average 1 lb per week.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    I work with food prep, and the way I stopped nibbling at cheese (I love cheese and ham just rolled up) was to bring fruit and nuts, so both sweet and salt, pre-logged to fit into my calories and then at the end of the shift I removed whatever I didn't end up eating.

This was in addition to the lunch or dinner I brought.
  • jenf66
    jenf66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to OP would be to leave your money at home. If you don't have any then you can't spend it. If you will need it after your shift then leave it in your car. This doesn't help the your craving for the chips, candy, or soda, but it does give a way to avoid it.

I have trouble with food at work too. I work in child care and the center provides the meals and snacks. The teachers are expected to eat what the kids are eating which isn't always the healthiest for me. I have a Dr's appointment today and I am hoping the Dr will write me a note saying I need to avoid all the pasta, cream sauces, and cream based soups they serve. I know a little would be ok, but carb heavy foods are triggers for me and I need to avoid them.
  • chewenvy
    chewenvy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work with food prep, and the way I stopped nibbling at cheese (I love cheese and ham just rolled up) was to bring fruit and nuts, so both sweet and salt, pre-logged to fit into my calories and then at the end of the shift I removed whatever I didn't end up eating.

or chew gum! that helped me when i was doing prep chopping camembert etc. except i wouldn't let my staff chew gum in store so maybe your boss won't let you.