Starting Crossfit

Options
Hi,
I took a trial class a few weeks back and I LOVED it, and have just signed up for Foundations at my local box.

For those of you who do Crossfit, what are your favorite things about it?
I am really nervous as I know my fitness level is mediocre and I get easily embarrassed. I want to do this, and I want to get fit, I'm just scared of not being that good at it.
Personal experiences to calm my nerves are very much appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Crossfit really depends on where you go. I went to one and stopped after a month because their form was so bad it made me cringe. I later joined at a different location and loved it. Just like any gym, each Crossfit is different. I loved mine for its sense of community and focus on not only Crossfit exercises, but stretching and gymnastics. No matter what level you're at, Crossfit is going to be hard. If it's easy, then you're choosing not to challenge yourself. Don't be embarrassed if you have to slow down or walk or start sucking wind, because even at my fittest, Crossfit was hard! :)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I passed out during my 1st foundations class. Granted, I hadn't slept the night before or eaten dinner (family tragedy), had a 5am class (when I normally don't get up at 5), and it was July in Houston, but still. It's great - just make sure your box/coach fits you/your personality and that you learn how to do everything with correct form.
  • StarmakerK
    StarmakerK Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ash, it doesn't sound like you should have been doing ANY workout at that moment -- no sleep, no food, heat, and possible dehydration? I'd have passed out going for a walk! Definitely take care of yourself first...:)

Echo everyone's thoughts about shopping around for the right box/coach.

The other thing I would say is you will HAVE to get over your tendency to "compete" or compare yourself with others. I've been doing Crossfit on and off for most of a year, and I'm noticeably more fit than I was. But I'm still clearly the worst one in every class. And yes, sometimes I get a little embarrassed. (The workout this morning was supposed to involve a rope climb -- the last time I tried that involved me crying in 3rd grade Phys Ed.)

But as long as I'm pushing myself hard, getting stronger, etc. I'm ok jumping on my dinky little half-sized box, doing push-ups on my knees, and having the worst time listed on every WOD....because when I started, I couldn't do even 1 push-up, on my knees or otherwise... The coaches at my box are really good about helping me adjust and cheering me on, even after the rest of the class has cleaned up and started to go home!

Tracking tools (either software like Beyond the Whiteboard or a plain old notebook) are really helpful for seeing your own progress as well. I will never be as strong as that 6'2" guy standing next to me, but I'm a heck of a lot stronger than I was--and the notes prove it!
  • Fat2Crossfit
    Options
    I was a gym rat in college, but i took a few years off (by few I mean like 7). Started riding a bike almost 100 miles a week. Liked it, but didn't love it. I've been doing crossfit for about 2 months now and I love it. Granted at my box I scale some things. And a few people do, so it's nothing to be ashamed of. I am last almost every time, but i've been improving. At first I was a little weirded out by the cheering and and all the comraderie, however I have grown to love it. Just takes a little getting used to.

Watch your form, make sure your coach knows your fitness level and enjoy yourself. Nothing like going to work the next day sore and having that rewarding feeling that you've accomplished something. My box has a login you use to track progress on the website including WOD's and PR's on lifts.

Enjoy!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love CrossFit. It totally changed my life.

You will get a lot of mixed reviews on here about it. My advice? Do what you want to do.

Be sure to join a box where you are comfortable. It sounds like they have a foundations program where you are and that is great. Build a good report with your coaches and be sure to speak up if you aren't sure how to do something or want to adjust your weight. The most important thing to remember is to go at your own pace and not try to compete with everyone around you. You will hurt yourself that way.

Another tip - CrossFit burns vary greatly. I wear my HRM so that I can get my calories right. I have days when I'm 500+ and days when I'm in the 200s. On average, I'd say I burn 375 in a session.
  • VaTechM3
    Options
    I just had my intro course this morning! I did one full class when I was on a business trip and the moves were simple (meaning no crazy lifts where I could injur myself without proper form) including clean and jerk, pushups, and air squats.

I had a great time with that and had to scale a bit on the cleans as I hadn't done them in a really long time.

Anyway, I'm excited to give this a shot, but in just comparing the two boxes I've been in, I'm a bit skeptical about strength training to supplement with the WODs. I didn't ask any questions about that, but will be sure to do so the next time I stop by.

Have fun out there, my biggest foreseable problem will be trying to push myself too hard as I get pretty competitive with everyone else, and mobility to stabilize weights or get my body to do what it needs to do.

Good luck out there! Maybe we need a Crossfit support group on here lol.

P.S. Beware the haters, I just ignore them, anything that gets me out of the house and sweating, is good enough for me!