Food Allergy, Affecting Calorie Count

Options
So I am lactose intolerant, and I don't know very much at all about it. But anyways...

Do you think it's possible that I could eat more ice cream than a tolerant person, because of the fact that it doesn't sit well with my digestive system and many of the calories are not being digested.

Again, not familiar enough with intolerance to know whether or not this accurate, but my weight loss results seem to suggest this is at least a possibility.

EDIT: This is not a tactic of mine, just discussing it. I've been dieting for a while now, and I'm not in a hurry or looking for stupid shortcuts lol and for anyone who is thinking about trying it, don't be dumb.

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    So I am lactose intolerant, and I don't know very much at all about it. But anyways...

Do you think it's possible that I could eat more ice cream than a tolerant person, because of the fact that it doesn't sit well with my digestive system and many of the calories are not being digested.

Again, not familiar enough with intolerance to know whether or not this accurate, but my weight loss results seem to suggest this is at least a possibility.

I'm also lactose intolerant and know for sure that it won't protect you from the calories in ice-cream unless it motivates you to quit eating ice-cream. Lactaid helps me with the intolerance problems when I give in to a craving for ice-cream, and staying under my calorie goal keeps me from gaining weight. Good luck.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No, because the sugar and fat is still being digested. It just isn't as pleasant how the whole thing ends after that.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure. (Pardon me being graphic) In other cases diareah can lead to malnutrition, say, if someone were sick. Right? Why wouldn't that apply here as well?

To be sure the allergy is not to the sugar, fat, protein, etc... but all the same, the food is moving right through you.

Perhaps it behaves just like a laxative, which from what I understand can be used to loose weight as well (and not just by water loss, but again, by preventing your body from completely/properly digesting the food in your system).
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Using tactics like that is a slippery slope in my opinion.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Nah man it's not a tactic lol just something I thought might be interesting to discuss.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Nah man it's not a tactic lol just something I thought might be interesting to discuss.

I get what you're saying, and from a scientific standpoint there may be an argument there. The thing is the whole process of calorie counting is so imprecise as it is that I'm not sure what you have to gain (I feel similarly about trying to count in TEF or the temperature of the food you're eating or whatever). That, coupled with the fact that such mindsets can be found by people suffering from eating disorders, is why I don't think it's something worth pursuing.

I wasn't trying to say anything about you, just that the line of thought is potentially a dangerous one.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just FYI lactose intolerance isn't an allergy. It's the lack of an enzyme (lactase) that breaks the lactose molecule for you. Instead the lactose gets digested by bacteria in your gut.They do it differently and produce a bunch of hydrogen gas in the process, which is why you get all bloaty.

(I get this in large doses but I can still eat a cup of regular ice cream without any problems. And BTW Breyer's makes lactose-free ice cream.)
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    I thought about this too, but why be uncomfortable on the toilet, everyday, just to have a few more snacks :\