Sugar Daily Limit

Options
So MFP has put me at a daily goal of 31g of sugar. What is your daily limit and do you go over? 31g seems really low to me. I haven't had dinner yet and I'm already over by at least half. The most sugar I had today was eating a banana, that has 14g of sugar. Then a cup of 1% milk (I normally drink 0%) that has 11g of sugar. So the total for a banana and a cup of milk is 25g, but I've seen that the daily limit for a woman is 20g!

Replies

• 2RobD
    2RobD Posts: 33
    Options
    My limit is 38 and I go over it everyday....I eat 1 banana a day and it is 1/2 my sugar limit....sugar is crazy
  • jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I eat fruit everyday and it brings my sugar numbers up, but I feel the sugar from fruit is different from the sugar from candy for example. People may disagree with me but from personal experience I feel good from natural sugar and hyper from added sugar.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't eat refined sugar at all, yet I always go well over my limit of 39 grams (it's usually closer to 70-80 grams) and it has never impeded my weight loss. I don't know what MFP bases this number on, but I've seen numerous discussions here in the forums about it being way too low for most people.
  • 2RobD
    2RobD Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree with Jean, natural sugar from fruit shouldn't count. I'm 9 over and haven't had supper yet. Thank God my bud light doesn't have any sugar count...lol
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My target is 100g simple sugars or 1/3 of my 300g carb macro (3,000 cals per day). I don't distinguish between fruits, natural sources vs. refined sugar. I've have tried staying 'cleaner', but there's only so much oatmeal and brown rice I can eat on a sustained basis. When it comes down to weight loss (or quality weight gain), I have found (for me) it makes no difference whether I get 30g, 50g, or 100g sugars a day.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. I'm sure every day I'm hilariously over.
  • Herbalife_KC
    Options
    My target is 100g simple sugars or 1/3 of my 300g carb macro (3,000 cals per day). I don't distinguish between fruits, natural sources vs. refined sugar. I've have tried staying 'cleaner', but there's only so much oatmeal and brown rice I can eat on a sustained basis. When it comes down to weight loss (or quality weight gain), I have found (for me) it makes no difference whether I get 30g, 50g, or 100g sugars a day.

I like that idea of using 1/3 of carbs for my target. That would put me at 71g of sugar a day and that sounds way more reasonable than 31! Before MFP I never took sugar into consideration, obviously it should be controlled but maybe not necessarily counted. For my clients I focus on calories and protein. Im new to MFP so I wanted to follow the guidelines before I suggested it to a client. Now I feel better about how much sugar Im taking in. Thank you!