HRM calories burned really low....

Options
2»

Replies

• CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Most disappointing moment was my first use of my HRM and the five after that lol. I thought for sure I was doing something wrong. Nope, however I was finally glad to know what I TRULY burn in calories. machine and mfp calculations were sooooo wrong! Now my weight is slowly creeping back down after getting my calories burned correctly input!
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    I was wondering. Is your HRM close to what calculators on websites say? If you log in low intensity, would it be around the same number as HRM?
    I have put my heart rate in the calculators with age, sex, and weight and the calories burned is closer to the machine calories...

Wow :( I might have to get an HRM after all..
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hmm my HRM and the treadmill are pretty close in figures for a 5k.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yep, same thing happened to me. Don't look at it as a bad thing though! Now you know around how much you're ACTUALLY burning, and that can only help you in your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • krazykate483
    krazykate483 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hmm my HRM and the treadmill are pretty close in figures for a 5k.
    Which HRM do you use?
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted the settings on your HRM watch for age, weight, sex etc?

I normally burn about 100 cal per 10 min running on a treadmill, HR up between 155 and 170
  • krazykate483
    Options
    Have you adjusted the settings on your HRM watch for age, weight, sex etc?

I normally burn about 100 cal per 10 min running on a treadmill, HR up between 155 and 170
    Yes. I put all of that information in it. Maybe I got a bad one? I don't really know. Everything I have calculated says my burned calories should be much higher, especially with how high my heart rate.
  • Runnergirl239
    Runnergirl239 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT40 and I burn about 100 calories for a mile. I know I have to make sure the chest strap sensors are wet for it to pick up my heart rate.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say follow your HRM - because at the very least its consistent regardless of what machine you're on, and at over time you'll get a good feel of how much exercise you need to put in to get the results you want. However, that does seem unusually low to me... maybe talk to the store or tech support from where you bought it and see what they say?

One other thing to consider - in the past I have had issues with my HRM dropping out during a workout (losing connection with the strap) and therefore not logging time, HR and cal burned. Does the workout time on your HRM match the actual workout time?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you want a better estimate of what you burn in 30 minutes, just do this:

- figure out how far you can run in 30 minutes
    - calculate net calories = 0.6 * body weight in pounds * miles run
    - multiply by 0.5 (moderate effort) or 0.8 (vigorous effort) to figure out what you're burning on whatever machine you're on

At 159 pounds, you need to be running 5km in 30 minutes to hit 300 calories burned. If you can't do that, scale down accordingly.
  • krazykate483
    Options
    If you want a better estimate of what you burn in 30 minutes, just do this:

- figure out how far you can run in 30 minutes
    - calculate net calories = 0.6 * body weight in pounds * miles run
    - multiply by 0.5 (moderate effort) or 0.8 (vigorous effort) to figure out what you're burning on whatever machine you're on

At 159 pounds, you need to be running 5km in 30 minutes to hit 300 calories burned. If you can't do that, scale down accordingly.
    Awesome. Thank You.
  • krazykate483
    Options
    Normally I would say follow your HRM - because at the very least its consistent regardless of what machine you're on, and at over time you'll get a good feel of how much exercise you need to put in to get the results you want. However, that does seem unusually low to me... maybe talk to the store or tech support from where you bought it and see what they say?

One other thing to consider - in the past I have had issues with my HRM dropping out during a workout (losing connection with the strap) and therefore not logging time, HR and cal burned. Does the workout time on your HRM match the actual workout time?

I don't think it drops out during workouts, but i'm not totally sure it has a great connection. I wasn't aware you are supposed to get the sensors wet before putting it on.

Everyone else I have talked to about it also think that calories are very low.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    First time I used my hrm during zumba I about cried. The burn was cut in half.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    First time I used my hrm during zumba I about cried. The burn was cut in half.

^ This! :sad: