Can't reach maintenance calorie goal

Options
So, to cut a long story short, i changed my whole diet about a year ago and took up jogging, over the last year i have lost around 2 stone in a controlled way. The problem i have now is that i am under my bmi and have lost practically all of my muscle and curves and im not very slim, i want to gain muscle and tone up, therefore i have stopped running so often and started weights at the gym (squats etc) im also trying to eat a lot more protein within my diet rather than just fruit and veggies.

My maintenance goal is 1600 calories, i seriously can't seem to reach it and feel as though i have eaten WAY too much when i come anywhere close

Example of what i have eaten today:

Shredded wheat with greek yhogurt and fruit (250 cal)

Ham sandwich (3 slices of bread) on wholemeal with salad and a pear (350 cal)

Pumpin seed snack 9 bar (200cal)

Plum (25cal)

2 small chicken breasts with onion and tomato sauce with brocolli and beans (300cal)

(this may seem nothing to some people but is a vast amount on what i ate before and i feel like its loads) Im really wanting to gain muscle and worry eating more and more will either make my weight balloon. I do actually feel starving sometimes but don't know whether its just boredom because i eat so much more than any of the people i live with i don't know what is a massive or normal amount because i had taught my body to eat breakfast lunch and dinner that was heavily based on oats, fruits and vegetables/pulses with the odd treat and alcohol once or twice a week.

Any advice on what i can do to add more to my diet or should i just not look at the calorie content and carry on ?!

Replies

• Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You really have to force feed yourself. I know it sounds bad but when I started my bulk I could barely hit 2k cal without feeling like I was going to barf. After being consistent and "force feeding" I'm now used to it and am finally bulking at my recommended surplus of 3300. Try alot of calorie dense foods like natural peanutbutter, oats, whole wheat flour (for pancakes/waffles), rice, etc...you can check out my diary for some prime examples. Yogurt and fruit are fine but they are far from your traditional "bulking" foods. The thing with bulking is you can't be afraid to gain fat. You WILL gain fat, there is no way around it. To build muscle you have to be in a caloric surplus. Unfortunately along with that muscle will come some fat. It's not a big deal if you know how to get rid of it and the more LBM you have the easier it will be when you cut again in the spring.

Also initially your weight will increase, how much depends on your lean body mass. I know for me when I shifted from my cut to bulking, I gained about 15 lbs in the first 2 weeks from 160-175ish but looked so much better in the mirror. My muscles looked much fuller. This gain in weight is all glycogen/water. The same thing happens when you cut or start a new weight loss diet because they deplete, then you lose around 10-15 lbs the first 2 weeks.

Focus on getting 1g of protein per lb of body weight, .3-.5 g fat per lb bodyweight and fill the rest with carbs. You can then tailor it to how your body responds. Protein is the most important of the 3 but they all work in cohesion. Protein is the building block, fat is the cement and carbs are the brick layers. Think of it like that. All are very important.

Good luck
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is an easy solution to this problem. It is found in the frozen section of grocery stores.

Ice cream.
  • Katieaholloway
    Options
    That post was really helpful!

So taking my food diary for today for example, what should i change or alternatively add to my ham sandwhich? or my chicken dinner?

i see what i am eating as a lot, carbs and protein with every meal and a lot of fat from the pumpkin and hemp seed bar, yet it seems to amount to nothing in the long run and i feel like i've eaten too much
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    That post was really helpful!

So taking my food diary for today for example, what should i change or alternatively add to my ham sandwhich? or my chicken dinner?

i see what i am eating as a lot, carbs and protein with every meal and a lot of fat from the pumpkin and hemp seed bar, yet it seems to amount to nothing in the long run and i feel like i've eaten too much

Based on the sample you gave above you could add some nuts or seeds to your breakfast, I would put some avocado or butter on your sandwich and cook your dinner using some coconut, butter, olive oil or full fat cream. Maybe throw in some chocolate as a bit of a treat.

Liquid calories are another option that you can usually add pretty easily without feeling too full
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    If you like peanut butter, try reeces peanut butter cups. One pack is like 220 o.o
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    sometimes I have to resort to peanut butter off the spoon to hit my goal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would put some cheese on your sandwich, cook your chicken in olive oil, add an egg to breakfast, put dressing, cheese, avocado, croutons, hard boiled egg, etc on your salad at lunch. Swap out the plum as a snack for chocolate covered raisins or an apple and peanut butter.

It really shouldn't be too hard to boost each meal by 50-100 calories with a little preplanning.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yep...add a slice of cheese to your sandwich. Switch to full fat yogurt. Down a glass of chocolate milk.
    When I am way under my calorie goal by the end of the night....a PB&J with a tall glass of milk is always good for 300-400 cals.

And...if all else fails....Ice cream. Always ice cream.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Shredded wheat with greek yhogurt and fruit (250 cal)
    - - Add nuts or peanut butter, I have no idea what shredded wheat is, possibly change it with something with higher calorie count.

Ham sandwich (3 slices of bread) on wholemeal with salad and a pear (350 cal)
    - - Add Cheese and Avocado

Pumpin seed snack 9 bar (200cal)
    - - Passibly change for a bar with higher calorie count

Plum (25cal)
    - - Eat more then one plum

2 small chicken breasts with onion and tomato sauce with brocolli and beans (300cal)
    - - Add quinoa or sweet potatoes or potato. And you can have desert!
  • Amadbro
    Options
    Focus on low GI/slow digesting carbs throughout the day I.E. oats, whole wheat pasta, brown rice long grain rice, black beans, lentils, quinoa. whole wheat flour. For proteins lean chicken, fish, 90/10- ground beef, lean cuts of beef, tuna. Fats in the form of whole eggs, all natural peanut butter, coconut oil, fish oil. If you arn't opposed to dairy, it can be a dream for bulking with whole fat cottage cheese, 1% milk, sliced cheese for sandwiches.

A staple meal I have everyday are whole wheat pancakes/waffles with a cup of stone ground whole wheat flour, 2 whole eggs, scoop of chocolate whey and a cup of 1% milk. Be inventive, your less likely to burn out if you actually like what your eating

Also mixing some high GI carbs with your shake post workout like chocolate milk (because of the sugar/dextrose). Some guys eat gummy bears post workout for the dextrose also.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Your so used to eating low calorie foods, that it's difficult to change your mindset! Throw in full fat versions of the greek yoghurt. Eat peanut butter. Use butter for cooking. Eat nuts for snacks (macadamias pack a wallop in terms of good for you and high in calories).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    add some dietary fat...cook with olive oil and such...eat nuts....avocados...eat some cheese and full fat dairy, etc.
  • Katieaholloway
    Options
    I have definitely started to incorporate more healthy fats like milk nuts etc but I just never seem to hit many calories or I feel like I have eaten too much .. I'm not trying to cut back, my only concern is a rapid increase in weight as my body has been used to much less not very calorie dense foods for so long, thanks for the advice!
  • Amadbro
    Options
    I have definitely started to incorporate more healthy fats like milk nuts etc but I just never seem to hit many calories or I feel like I have eaten too much .. I'm not trying to cut back, my only concern is a rapid increase in weight as my body has been used to much less not very calorie dense foods for so long, thanks for the advice!

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, you most likely will have a small spike in weight. That's due to glycogen stores refilling and an increase in water weight due to eating at a surplus. Nothing you can do to combat this. Don't pay so much attention to "weight" but instead focus on how you look in the mirror.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I was underweight as a kid up to my first years of high school. To gain weight, I added more calories to each meal and began lifting heavy weights. I looked forward to gaining weight because being underweight prevented me from playing football. Instead of focusing on the scale, place greater value in the increase of muscle which will not only improve your appearance by adding shape to your body but also allow you to do some incredible things that you once thought were impossible. You might be surprised by how many calories you can eat when your weight stabilizes.

Eat 1/2 or 3/4 cup of granola with whole-fat or 2% greek yogurt.
    Eat whole eggs.
    Drink whole milk.
    Eat meat with a greater amount of fat.
    Eat nuts such as cashews and almonds with a bit of ice cream.
    Make protein shakes with oatmeal, or avocado, and peanut butter.
    Add salad dressing to salads.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what shredded wheat is, possibly change it with something with higher calorie count.

Shredded wheat is like Wheatabix. If the OP were to maybe swap that for a Kashi high protein cereal, it might help with the bulking. For just more calories, get the frosted shredded wheat.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am having same problem. My maintenance calories of 1600 are easy, but its eating back the exercise is hard, and extra for muscle gain, I just can not do :-(
    So glad everyone is raving about ice cream. I just had a bowl and was feeling guilty, even though I am still under goal for the day :-( But doesn't this have way too much sugar? I added my Greek yogurt to it for the protein.
    I also often resort to peanut butter, I like it mixed with ice cream, or again with the yogurt.
    Failing that, I have a seed and nut mix for after the gym, about 100 calories per 20g, believe me you can easily eat 60g and not be full.
    And with my salad I love a little feta cheese, or some sundried tomatoes, they can pack on a few calories, and some good fats :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would look at the brands of food you are using, as well as making sure you're using full fat dairy... full fat greek yoghurt instead of fat free for breakfast for example.

Hovis 'best of both' bread is 102 cals a slice, so a ham salad sandwich and a pear would come to more than 350 cals with that bread.

add in some nuts/nut butter and a glass of whole milk.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yep...add a slice of cheese to your sandwich. Switch to full fat yogurt. Down a glass of chocolate milk.
    When I am way under my calorie goal by the end of the night....a PB&J with a tall glass of milk is always good for 300-400 cals.

And...if all else fails....Ice cream. Always ice cream.

Don't forget chocolate!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you fell into a habit of eating low calorie foods exclusively when you were focused on weight loss, and now you're having a hard time wrapping your head around the idea of reintroducing high calorie foods into your diet. Because in your mind, high calorie = unhealthy. But that is simply not the case. By reintroducing foods that have a high amount of calories per serving into your diet, such as peanut butter, cooking with oils, nuts, avocados, and even enjoying things like a plate of nachos, you will be able to meet your calorie goals.