Runners....5K and beyond

Options
Question for seasoned runners....I am able to run a pretty good 5K, but I want to go further in distance. It doesn't seem as easy as just going out and running. My body seems to know when I have reached the 5K mark and my mind is right there with it. I've tried the conversation in my "keep going you can do it, ignore how you are tired, just go...." ---it hasn't worked. Any suggestions on how to move beyond the 5K-- in body and mind?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's a C25K type program that will take you to 10K that might be worth trying or you can just start slowly increasing your distance yourself. I did it by biting the bullet one Saturday and making myself finish 10K even though I had to take a few walk breaks. I was astonished to find that I did the full 10K in an hour and 10 minutes even with the walks. You may be different but if you've got a solid 5K now you might just surprise yourself!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that bridge program from 5k to 10 right now. So far so good
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm not seasoned by any means (<1 year) but now I'm moving onto an 8k from 5ks. I started by increasing 0.25 miles on my longer runs, walking if I needed too and slowing down. Now I'm closer to adding 10% each time (recommended weekly increase). Some consecutive weeks I've repeated distances just to get used to them.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Question for seasoned runners....I am able to run a pretty good 5K, but I want to go further in distance. It doesn't seem as easy as just going out and running. My body seems to know when I have reached the 5K mark and my mind is right there with it. I've tried the conversation in my "keep going you can do it, ignore how you are tired, just go...." ---it hasn't worked. Any suggestions on how to move beyond the 5K-- in body and mind?

It really is as easy as going out running. Tack on 0.5mi until you get to 10k, but build up gradually.
  • mrsnealey
    mrsnealey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Signing up for a race (and then having to follow a training plan) and running with a friend have helped me a lot!
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started the bridge from 5k to 10 k today. I'll keep you updated if you want :flowerforyou:

I am still quite astonished how this app helped me from coach to 5 k, so I hope it will be as effective :bigsmile:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself and run slower than you normally would. I just kept extending my runs. The thing I found was to run by time not distance If you run a different route than normal that way you don't know psychologically what the 5k Mark is and add 10 mins on what would be your 5k time.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Basically just slow down. Also when I was training for my 10k and half marathon I would run 3x a week and just add 1/2 a mile or 1/4 mile each time. For longer distances I would do 2 short runs and 1 long run per week, adding 1/2 a mile to your long run each time.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yep the key is to just do it. And push beyond your mind who says: That's it, 5K done!

Play a trick with it: plan a 6K route… Can't stop at 5K if there is still 1K to do to get home!

Also: Do maybe one 6K run a week to start with.. Increase gradually! Don't make all your runs longer at the same time! You should look online for 10K training plans. They will get you there!

PS: The fun starts over 10K ;)
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses....I will try some of the suggestions!

@muamontreal....please keep me posted!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you are probably also running the 5k at your 5k pace.

try running the 5k slower to leave some in the tank for further distance.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    you are probably also running the 5k at your 5k pace.

try running the 5k slower to leave some in the tank for further distance.

Very true, I am. Good suggestion.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    I'm not a seasoned runner, but I went from running/walking a 5k last year to running 5k to 10k to 13.1mi this year.

Once a week I started taking longer runs, slowing down a little, and I was able to work all the way up to the HM distance. Just take it bits and pieces at a time.

Once you start going a little bit farther each time, make a challenge. Sometimes you have an extra mile in you that you didn't think you can do.
  • determined2run
    determined2run Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Add 10% of your current weekly mileage each week until you reach the desired distance. This may not seem like much but it will help to build up your endurance and keep injuries down. Good luck!